How to: Remove ZJ Cladding Molding w/ pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to: Remove ZJ Cladding Molding w/ pics

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
joburocks
1996 ZJ 

How to: Remove ZJ Cladding Molding w/ pics

How To: Remove side cladding moulding molding from door body etc..

Difficulty: easy
Tools: flat screwdriver or plastic puddy knife, custom bent tool (optional for better results)

What will my ZJ look like without cladding?

Before:

After:

Paint underneath the cladding may be scratched

There will also be tiny nubs and holes left behind that the cladding clips mount to

Mounting Explained:

There are 4 pieces per side not including bumpers.

From front to back
Piece #1 is held on by 3 screws in the wheel well and one white clip.
Piece #2 is held on by about 5-6 clips
Piece #3 is held on by 3-5 clips and a plastic nut that is inside the door
Piece #4 is held on by 3 screws in rear wheel well.

White clips are used to hold the cladding to the body of the truck. The top of the cladding sits in the top lip between the body and the clip. See picture 1 top of clip (ignore arrows for now)

Pic 1

The bottom of the cladding snaps into the clip. See picture 2

Pic 2

The clip is held on the truck with a sliding lock system. See picture 1. Blue arrows point in direction to remove clip from body.

Procedure For Removal:
The trick to the whole game is getting the cladding off the body without breaking the clips. See picture 3.

Pic 3

The problem is that the clips tend to break at the body's metal nub as in picture 3 rather than release from the thick plastic nub on the cladding.

If you look at picture 2 in the bottom right hand corner in blue, it depicts the shape of tool that would be necessary to get behind the clip on the cladding side and pop the cladding off, leaving the clip attached to the truck.

The procedure should always be.
  1. Remove any screws holding the piece (piece 1 and 2) or the nut for piece 3 (see picture 4 for door nut on piece #3)
  2. Pop the clips at the bottom of the cladding all the way down the piece your working on. Pulling away from the truck body out towards your body. Trying not to break the clips off of the body by using a special tool to separate them only from the cladding. Be careful not to pull the cladding to far away from the body or you will crack the cladding or clips at the top.
  3. Once the piece is free at the bottom, lift the piece upwards towards the roof of the car, sliding it free of the clips, or if the clip is still on the cladding sliding it free from the body. Always up.
  4. Remove the clip from the body of the car.
* EDIT: Opening the doors and laying under the door while looking up and prying the clips will give you greater success. I used a bent brake tool and removed all clips without breaking.

Pic 4

Hopefully that will clear things up for first timers.

Last edited by joburocks; 12-08-2009 at 02:59 PM..
joburocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
EMTFFNJ
1998 ZJ 

I know this has been here for a while, and a little bit of a resurrection here, but from anyone thats done this, Does it matter if the clips break? Im taking my cladding and everything off to sand down the area and repaint it with a truck Bed liner.
1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0I6 - 30x9.50 TreadWright Mud Terrain Tires, 15x7.5 Cragar Soft 8 Wheels, Radioshack CB, Dual Trucker System CB Antennas, Custom Emergency Lighting Package, Custom Sound Package, 2'' BB from Rustys offroad
EMTFFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTFFNJ View Post
I know this has been here for a while, and a little bit of a resurrection here, but from anyone thats done this, Does it matter if the clips break? Im taking my cladding and everything off to sand down the area and repaint it with a truck Bed liner.
If you aren't planning on reusing them then it won't matter.
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
testify
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
If you aren't planning on reusing them then it won't matter.

I just want to get a second clarification- It is possible get replacement clips then. Is that correct? I'm removing mine for paint prep this week, and I tend to break thing when I take them apart.

Thanks-
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
ZJ98

Hi there I was looking for the cladding or molding the goes under the dorr cladding anyone know where I can get them???
ZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
ZJJAMES
1996 ZJ 

Junk yards have tons of zjs to take the clips from.
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJJAMES View Post
Junk yards have tons of zjs to take the clips from.
I wish I was in your area, the closest JY around here has one (If I'm lucky) every 8 months or so.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
merkovd
1996 ZJ 

cladding removal

Good stuff on how to get the cladding off. I am going to prep a 96 for paint so need to pull the cladding. Is there any way to get the pictures back up? I can only see the before and after photo, but not Pictures 2, 3, 4. I would like to see the tool mentioned.
merkovd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
joburocks
1996 ZJ 

Unfortunately I removed the pics from my computer about 8 months ago. Will have to use photobucket next time.
joburocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
B93
1998 ZJ 

All you need to do is slide your Jeep in to a tree, they'll fly right off!
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
merkovd
1996 ZJ 

parts

If you have any of the white clips, I would be interested in getting them in case I break mine. I think I will pass on the "hitting the tree" method. Just does not seem like the best way to go, although it could save some bucks since I would not have to paint it.....
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
merkovd
1996 ZJ 

cladding off, new paint on

Got the cladding off. fixed some hail dents, got the fender straightened, and the new paint is on. Here are some pics after painting. Too bad is was an overcast day, you can't appreciate how bright it is. It was painted with a Sherwin Williams commercial urethane paint (I am told it is the same as used by Peterbuilt on new trucks). Cladding and pin strips are next. Would really like to do a lift, can't spend the bucks on an old Jeep though.
pc070540.jpg   pc070541.jpg   pc070542.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Believe me even on overcast days yo can see you bright it is.. Looks pretty good. Did you paint it yourself? It has a boo boo, how cute

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
jeepjeep523
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkovd View Post
Got the cladding off. fixed some hail dents, got the fender straightened, and the new paint is on. Here are some pics after painting. Too bad is was an overcast day, you can't appreciate how bright it is. It was painted with a Sherwin Williams commercial urethane paint (I am told it is the same as used by Peterbuilt on new trucks). Cladding and pin strips are next. Would really like to do a lift, can't spend the bucks on an old Jeep though.

this jeep is sick!!
jeepjeep523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

It looks so much better gone and freshly painted. Check mine out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.