How to: Remove ZJ Cladding Molding, Details/W Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to: Remove ZJ Cladding Molding, Details/W Pics

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

How to: Remove ZJ Cladding Molding, Details/W Pics

There is a good write up in the facts section, on this forum on how to remove your cladding, see here, How to remove cladding on 93-98 ZJ's
I thought it would be a good idea to add a few more details to this.

I am getting ready to paint my cladding and bumpers.
Until today I didn't know exactly how the cladding snapped into the clips.

The first one I popped off, I broke the clip, because I just stuck the tool in and pried it out, the rest of them. I put the tool in and twisted the handle back and forth a little on each side of the tab, to loosen it up a bit, then I put the tool in the middle and twisted it the same way until the clips popped off.

In the first picture (below) is the tool, I used to remove the cladding, and all the clips and cladding, I removed from the donor Jeep.
. I only needed one piece of replacement cladding, but just went ahead and pulled them all.

dsci0298.jpg

This picture shows two broken clips and one good clip.
The one on the left you can clearly see where it is broken, the one in the middle you must look close to see the little bit that is broken, so it won't hold under the pin that is on the door. The third one on the right with my blood on it ( The 93 I got them from was rusted out and got me good) is a good non-broken clip.

dsci0300.jpg

This picture shows (top) a partial view of the inside of the cladding I got from the donor Jeep, with the tabs still intact.
My cladding (bottom) you can see ( full view) the tabs inside the cladding are broken right off,, which is why I had to replace that piece of cladding.
The Tabs were broken when I got the Jeep.

dsci0301.jpg

This picture is just a close-up of the tabs inside the cladding that snap into the clips.

dsci0302.jpg

This picture is a close-up of the tabs broken off.

dsci0303.jpg

This picture shows a clip snapped onto the tab on the inside the cladding,. This may give a better idea of how to go about getting them off.

dsci0305.jpg

This picture kinda,shows, the position of the tool, to get it up in there.
The tool needs to be between the white clip and the cladding itself.
Of course you could also use a screwdriver.

dsci0306.jpg

If taking off your cladding is mysterious, and you're worried about breaking stuff, maybe this will help..
But , you must look at the write up in the facts section.

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

Just took mine off before it got dark.Didn't care how it came off,but it sure looks alot better when I cleaned all the dirt from underneath it.
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
billfish16

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
There is a good write up in the facts section, on this forum on how to remove your cladding, see here, How to remove cladding on 93-98 ZJ's
I thought it would be a good idea to add a few more details to this.

I am getting ready to paint my cladding and bumpers.
Until today I didn't know exactly how the cladding snapped into the clips.

Attachment 381044

This picture shows two broken clips and one good clip.
The one on the left you can clearly see where it is broken, the one in the middle you must look close to see the little bit that is broken, so it won't hold under the pin that is on the door. The third one on the right with my blood on it ( The 93 I got them from was rusted out and got me good) is a good non-broken clip.

Attachment 381069

If taking off your cladding is mysterious, and you're worried about breaking stuff, maybe this will help..
But , you must look at the write up in the facts section.

Thx! Your post and the post you referenced were a huge help when I pulled off my cladding. I only cracked one clip, about a third of the way through. I broke the pin/rivet holding part on four of the clips. Rather than try to find replacement clips I just put a dab of Silicon caulk on the back of the clip where the pin/rivet seats, placed the clip over the pin/rivet and held it in place on the door with masking tape. I let the caulk sit overnight and it was holding solid the next day.
One other thing I did was place a dab of petroleum jelly on the tab on the back of the cladding to help it slide into the brittle clip without snapping it.
billfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I saw your pics, after U painted, looks great.much better than gray IMO

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
rmckinnie
1996 ZJ 

When you have the cladding off, what do you fill the holes with or does it matter?
rmckinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckinnie View Post
When you have the cladding off, what do you fill the holes with or does it matter?
There aren't any holes. There are little metal pegs that stick out where the cladding attaches at the top.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckinnie View Post
There aren't any holes. There are little metal pegs that stick out where the clips hook on to.
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

there's 4 holes actually two on the front fenders and 1 or 2 on the rear doors.
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
there's 4 holes actually two on the front fenders and 1 or 2 on the rear doors.
Darn. I don't remember holes on my 95. I took the cladding off totally. Must be getting old.
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Darn. I don't remember holes on my 95. I took the cladding off totally. Must be getting old.
Lol so did I.

Tags
cladding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.