How to remove wheel bearing hub.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to remove wheel bearing hub..

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

How to remove wheel bearing hub..

Posted this an hour ago in my other post, but i need an answer now cause my car is apart in the parking lot so yea..

I got the axle nut off, the 3 bearing bolts out... i cannot get the hub to budge tho.. I tried a hammer and chisle i tried smacking the corner where the bolts go in with a hammer and it wont budge it.. Its a CV axle so there is no way to put a tool in a wedge and move the steering wheel to push it out like i've seen..

Only way i can think to remove it get my sledge hammer out and ruin the hub.. But the hub is good and I dont want to spend $100 on another one

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Hit it till it comes there's no other way
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

If you have been hitting the hub (i.e. unit bearing) with the axle nut removed then you probably already ruined it.

I normally use a slide hammer in such situations. Beating on something with a hammer is bad form.

P.S. When you do put it back together, apply Never-Seez first.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Stop using the damn hammer! On most things, if you resort to that you will break it. It takes a slide hammer and a hub remover tool THAT CAN GENERALLY BE PICKED UP AT ANY AUTO PARTS STORE. IT MUST BE PULLED OFF, NOT HIT OFF! Now the good news is the hub assembly isn't too expensive NOR IT THE CHILTON'S MANUAL FROM THE SAME AUTO PARTS STORE. Come on...

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I wasnt hitting the bearing part itself. I was hitting the points that stick out where the bolts go in, that doesnt affect the bearing at all.... you guys think im stupid ?

I managed to get it off by screwing in 2 different bolts a little bit and hammering the bolts and it pushed it out enough to where i could use a flat tip screw drive and hammer to chizle it out lol

Only took me an hour ina half to get the freaking thing off.., Pulled the old axle out put the new one in gently and re-assembled it all.. I put some grease where the hub fits into.. I didnt have anti sieze on me.. Torqued all the bolts back to 75lbs and 175 for the axle nut, put the cotter pin and crown back on and test drove it.. Drives fine..

I tried to attempt the other side but I couldnt get the axle nut to budge even with my 28 inch breaker bar.. The other one was easy this one meh... So i sprayed some pb blaster on and put the tire back on I'll mess with the other side when it cools down in the next few days... Took me like 4 hours to do one side lol.. Mainly because it was 104 outside, i had no shade,took like 10 breaks lol and my disk in my lower back is bad i could barely stand up today let alone work on the Jeep lol.. What a PITA changing axles is on rusted out parts..

This Job was worse then doing my viscous coupler with the TC still attached to the tranny... much much worse, but hey i saved myself like $200 in labor charges lol..
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Candymancan,

I am glad you were successful with your hub. God I hate to work on a vehicle in 100+ degree weather. I hope the other one comes for you a lot easier. Good luck with your back.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Get a 5 foot steel pipe that fits on the handle of your breaker bar to give yourself extra leverage. I've always used a long pipe to remove the axle nut on many different types of vehicles. I don't like to struggle if I don't have to.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I'll try to find one at like home depot or something
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Let the weight of the Jeep do the work. Lower it on the wrench.
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Oh i see... thats a fantastic idea.. !!! I'll try it tomorrow thanks... Hopefully it works and doesnt break my breaker bar lol that thing was seriously bending weird when my 300 lbs *** was jumping on it
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

you've most likely done this, but a good soak down with wd-40 or whatever, and beats with a hammer every few hours to set vibration to get in will help.
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea i did that, its soaking tonight and tomorrow probly because I'll be busy and my back is shot i need to rest..

I'll upload pics when my damn photobucket works
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
thrashin
1998 ZJ 

How To Install Replace Front Wheel Hub Bearing Jeep Grand Cherokee

If the link doesnt work you can do a search on youtube. Its for a wj but I think its about the same.
thrashin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

I read something once about backing the 3 bolts out almost all the way and then somehow putting a socket on them and then starting the jeep and letting the powersteering push the socket as it wedges againt something while the steering wheel is turned. Anyone know what I am referensing to here? I don't remember the exact process.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Replacing Front Wheel Bearing Assembly/How To

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.