How to remove control arm bushings , easily - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to remove control arm bushings , easily

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

How to remove and install control arm bushings , easily

Get loads of ppl wondering how to do this , so , videos are definately a great way to illustrate a seemingly difficult process made easy .

I know you can all find a hammer and a chunk of wood for this process . I used a short handled hammer for better acuracy , just "choke-up" on the handle if you have to .

I didn't presoak , or use any penetrants for this process .

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MOV05125.mp4

I'll post a install video in a few days . It's using the same tools . Got to buy new bushings first , and I may as well paint the arms also . They are going on my 97 Cherokee , but , they are all the same arm on all zj/xj/mjs , maybe even tjs .

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Nice vid, straightforward and one heck of a lot easier than burning/cutting/pressing them out.
Unread 08-05-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Newfie, on a 2wd axle end upper arm bushing,best way to get out? I've seen the spx miller tool to do it with but wondered if it actually worked cause it looks kinda flimsy. But then again the bushing mounts on the axle aren't all that beefy looking either.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
divco13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Newfie, on a 2wd axle end upper arm bushing,best way to get out? I've seen the spx miller tool to do it with but wondered if it actually worked cause it looks kinda flimsy. But then again the bushing mounts on the axle aren't all that beefy looking either.
Can someone look up the Tool # ( spx miller tool ) in a shop manual for removing control arm bushing on a 98 5.9 zj front and rear bushings.

Thanks Bob
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divco-Milk-Truck/102362503162366
divco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Not that easy.. lol, to remove the axle side of the upper arms the number is 7932. Beyond that its easier to get arms, but cheaper to get bushings. Newfie shows a way to get the bushings out of the arms themselves. As for the spx tool many have crafted their own tool from washers,all thread, some pipe cut with a slot, ect. The 7932 is used just for the axle side upper removal as far as my limited scope knows.
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
When I did my 2wd axle on the MJ , first off , it was lifted . This means alot of clearane which was great . I would first recomend disconnecting the steering and track bar , plus the sway bar . The more room the better . I used the same methods as described above , both in and out . Because you have to hammer them back in , it may cause some minor damage to the flange , but nothing serious as long as your patient and don't hit it too hard . Remember not to focus on one part for hitting , tap both around the bushing , and also on the mount , watching for things to go in evenly . As I have recomended in the second video(about to post) , I tack weld a spot contacting the bushing cup and control arm . I did not do this to my 5.9 and have had no issues , but , it's a good failsafe .

Both axle mounts on the 2wd are like the standard D30 pass/side mount .
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Here's the second video . If you thought the removal was easy , this should wow you all together
http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MOV05126.mp4

I'll get some still shots with a better pic up later , and show the spot welds , plus a quick snap of the arms on my 5.9 , unwelded 2 years almost with new bushings .

For those who want to remove the rubber from the cup to install poly bushings , I am gonna try the drill method to remove the rubber . It worked for me years ago on a Mustang GT . I'll get a video , if it works , I'll post it in this thread . The re won't be an install video cause I don't use poly CA bushings
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
MuddSlutt
2001 WJ 

WOW!
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for taking the time to do that newfie.I need to find a 6x6 beating block anyways,lol.
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

BAM! You're done...finished.

Same way i get those in as well. Nice!
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Cody96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Great Video but does anyone have a way to get the rubber bushing out without taking the sleeve out? The bushings i ordered require using the outer sleeve from the old bushings. I am thinking about soaking them in diesel and burning them out.
Cody96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

use a vice, some big sockets, a piece of 2.5" pipe, and a lot of wd40, and press em out.

It's easier, and less sticky, than burning them.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

great videos. I was wowwed. wowed? Awesome!

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
sd15gibbs
1997 ZJ 

great vid newfie!!! very helpful
sd15gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Did this again today on the white 5.9 . These things are so easy to change . Able to use an impact on 3 outta 4 bolts , marked off caster adjustment , axle shifted slightly but if you install the rear bolt first , you can pry the front between the arm and axle mount to slide the bolt in . Done in under 30 mins start to finish .

As was the case with every ZJ I have owned the front axle bushings were terrible . I spun the sleeve in one separating the rubber , with ease . The other was no better . Seriously , if you have not replaced these 2 bushings in your ZJ , make it next on your list . You will need an alignment to make it perfect .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.