how to remove 5.2L oil pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how to remove 5.2L oil pan

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
mackcs212

1994 ZJ 

how to remove 5.2L oil pan

i have been spending the past few hours trying to drop my oil pan on my 94 5.2L ZJ. i removed all the bolts to the pan, dropped the exhaust, starter, removed engine mount bolts and raised the engine up a bit but still feels like it is getting caught up on something at the back end. My oil pan does not have the low oil sensor. the pan is hanging about 3 inches down but just can weasel it all the way off... any advice or tips??? Thanks

mackcs212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I think the sump filter hangs down low enough that it's not going to come out while the engine is still in the Jeep. That wonderful cross member is going to screw you.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
94unlimited52zj
1994 ZJ 

I ended up dropping my trans cross member to get the oil pan out when I did rear main and oil pump. But I still had to drop the front suspension to get the pan out.
94unlimited52zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
mackcs212

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94unlimited52zj View Post
I ended up dropping my trans cross member to get the oil pan out when I did rear main and oil pump. But I still had to drop the front suspension to get the pan out.
I also dropped the trans cross member and jacked up the jeep so the suspension is hanging. the pan drops about 3 inches then gets caught up on something, still has an inch and a half before it hits the front axel. and it seems like it is the sump pump that it is caught up on... looks like i may have to try to replace the gasket without fully removing the pan.... sucks, i wanted to clean the pan out real good.
mackcs212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

It is possible but it's a real PITA. IIRC I dropped the exhaust and trans crossmember and jacked up the Jeep to full droop and managed to wiggle it out. It took many, many different attempts to find the perfect way to wriggle it free.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.