How To Rebuild Your Saginaw ZJ Steering Gear - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How To Rebuild Your Saginaw ZJ Steering Gear

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #46
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

It is a crappy picture but it kinda looks like it mighy have a lip. I'd call them and ask.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #47
pah556

Hello, My name is Theo and am from Sweden.
Stoney1r, how much do you know about the saginaw 708 steering box used in the Dodge W200?
Iīm in the process of putting power steering on mine.
I have bought a saginaw 708 power steering box with standard rotation (previous owner found out it didnīt work on his W200, because of steering to the left, but car turning to the right).
Reason I bought this one is, that I might be able to convert this one to reverse rotation with the parts in the manual reverse rotion gear box that is on the car right now, plus it was much cheaper, since he couldnīt use it anymore.
Itīs pretty expensive to have a power steering box shipped over from the US to Sweden.
Since it is only the worm gear that is different (?), do you think it is possible to only swap the parts from the manual box over to the power steering gear box?
In the beginning of this thread, on the first pic it looks like the worm gear is a separate part from the "extension" that supposedly is the "power part".
If you know what I mean.

This is the power steering unit that I bought, Lares reman standard rotation rock auto part# 1074, input shaft 13/16.

Iīm not quite sure what input shaft diameter is on the original manual steering on the truck right now.

If you have a problem with this being a Dodge thing, maybe you can provide with some links to companies that source these parts.
I have emailed Lares corp. and they asked a bunch of questions first to determine what kind of box I had, specs on it and pics, but then suddenly they responded with, "sorry we donīt sell parts that way".
Then why ask a bunch of questions in the first place???
Waisted time for nothing...

Thanks for any reply.
pah556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #48
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Theo, your box is marked AGR. Perhaps contact them directly..

http://www.agrperformance.com/
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #49
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

The steering gear you have is defiantly for right hand steering and if you have a vehicle for left hand steering it will not work at all.
You will not be able to interchange parts from a manual steering gear, different design and parts no matter if its left or right hand steering.
If your looking to convert to a left hand steering box everything in the right hand box is interchangeable with the exception of the steering gear body and the rack piston nut, but that's gear ratio dependent.
Yes the worm shaft separates from the stub shaft / valve body assembly.
If your looking for a left handed steering box you need to look harder for one locally otherwise you will have to pay for the shipping.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #50
RandyP

Smokey1r,
Great write up on Saginaw steering box rebuild. Thanks for posting it.

I am replacing the steering box in an older jeep with a rebuilt unit from NAPA. I noticed that the torsion bar (about 5/16" in diameter) extends from the stub shaft (about a 1/2" long extension) on the rebuilt gear box. The existing box in the jeep has a torsion bar that is cut square with the end of the stub shaft (matches the pictures of the stub shaft/torsion bar end in your rebuild). I am considering cutting the torsion bar off flush with the end of the stub shaft (of course carefully with a sawsall, keeping metal out of the gap between the torsion bar and stub shaft and keeping heat down. I do not have room for this torsion bar protrusion from the end of the stub shaft in my setup.

Do you have any comment pro or con regarding this fix for my purpose noted above ?

RandyP
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #51
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Smokey1r,
Great write up on Saginaw steering box rebuild. Thanks for posting it.

I am replacing the steering box in an older jeep with a rebuilt unit from NAPA. I noticed that the torsion bar (about 5/16" in diameter) extends from the stub shaft (about a 1/2" long extension) on the rebuilt gear box. The existing box in the jeep has a torsion bar that is cut square with the end of the stub shaft (matches the pictures of the stub shaft/torsion bar end in your rebuild). I am considering cutting the torsion bar off flush with the end of the stub shaft (of course carefully with a sawsall, keeping metal out of the gap between the torsion bar and stub shaft and keeping heat down. I do not have room for this torsion bar protrusion from the end of the stub shaft in my setup.

Do you have any comment pro or con regarding this fix for my purpose noted above ?

RandyP
Id say go ahead and cut it as its just excess that was sloppily cut when manufactured, the only concern i have is invalidating any type of warranty Napa provides for the box.

Wouldn't worry about heat generation with cutting, if you do choose to cut it?.

Most likely the stub shaft was from an older steering gear when the box was rebuilt.
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #52
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Nice writeup.....
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #53
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
Nice writeup.....
Thanks, was a fun little project!.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #54
RandyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
Id say go ahead and cut it as its just excess that was sloppily cut when manufactured, the only concern i have is invalidating any type of warranty Napa provides for the box.

Wouldn't worry about heat generation with cutting, if you do choose to cut it?.

Most likely the stub shaft was from an older steering gear when the box was rebuilt.
I cut it off, installed the steering gear, rebuilt pump, new hoses. Had some disappointment when the power steering seemed to stop assisting after high speed runs on the freeway. With time, the loss of power assist ceased. I think there was air bubbles in the fluid and it took a while to dissipate. The steering works great now.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #55
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
I cut it off, installed the steering gear, rebuilt pump, new hoses. Had some disappointment when the power steering seemed to stop assisting after high speed runs on the freeway. With time, the loss of power assist ceased. I think there was air bubbles in the fluid and it took a while to dissipate. The steering works great now.
Glad ya got it working!!!

Ya need to burp the system and top off prior to normal use by turning the steering lock to lock about 20 or so times with the front wheels off the ground so you get all the air bubbles out, but it sounds like ya worked them out while driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.