How To Rebuild Your Saginaw ZJ Steering Gear - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How To Rebuild Your Saginaw ZJ Steering Gear

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I took apart an old caddy steering box once that had a major leak coming out the top from the stub shaft area.
Your picture shows the stub shaft with a pin. I assume there is an oring in there somewhere you dd not take that apart?

Turned out the large piston that pushes the pitman gear had worn a major area into the housing and I decided it was unrepairable.
It was smoothly gouged out quite deep.
Always wonder what happened to the metal that had worn off the surface.

this photo shows the side pin on the stub shaft which holds another central part. On the caddy box, oil came right out the top of the stub shaft thru this area.

The reason there's a pin in the stub shaft is because the stub shaft is actually housing a tiny torsion bar, This is how the power assist determines which way the spool valve applies the hydraulic pressure through the valve body to the rack piston nut till the torsion evens out.
This is why the steering wheel sorta feels slightly springy when its first moved in either direction, some might misinterpret this as play in the steering but in reality its a normal function of the Saginaw type steering gear.
Far as leaking fluid through it, from what Ive seen the stub shaft should be a press fit on the torsion bar with the pin holding its rotational position static, i doubt seriously there's any o-ring in there but i never explored that exact section of the box thoroughly as the rest.

Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

yes, it was a goodly leak on the box thru that torsion rod.
Since it moves independently, with a twisting force, must be some kind of seal there, I would think.
Perhaps if a press fit, then it just wore out? Who knows, got pretty far into it and gave up on it.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Another Update!

Its been almost 5 months since Ive installed the rebuilt steering gear, only had one problem which was the over center adjustment lock nut allowing a slight leak, since Ive replaced it with the original nut the gear has remained leak free!!!

The good news is there is NO play in the steering gear!!!!!

The bad news is the rest of the steering components are going south and I'm redeveloping drift in the front end, as i stated before wheel bearings and I'm suspecting the track arm is the cause. Also I'm still waiting on the replacement rear end and to replace all the wearable components..... Once i have the rear end done any funds left over will be used to replace all the TRE's, Ball joints, stabilizer, track arm, shocks, coil spring isolators and possibly replace a seeping axle seal......
Stay tuned!!
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #34
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I didn't see a link to the first part, but found it here , How To Dissassemble Your Saginaw ZJ Steering Gear

Great write ups ,great info,thanks

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
I didn't see a link to the first part, but found it here , How To Dissassemble Your Saginaw ZJ Steering Gear

Great write ups ,great info,thanks
Thank You, Aside from the royal pain in the butt pitman arm removals with the old and replacement steering gears this has actually been a very enjoyable project and learning experience for me.

When i was about to start in on the disassembly i thought to my self this has took me several months of research trying to find any parts, information and verifying and re verifying it with the FSM, trying to solve all the inconsistencies with some information's etc...

So why not share it with y'all??!!, if this info can help anyone or give confidence enough with handling the repair of their steering gear and do it right the first time its very much worth all effort i went through!!!!!!

All in all the steering gear is NOT a complicated assembly, or some mysterious voodoo magic as some have built it up to be, its just plain ole common sense and follow the verified factory specs!. The only critical (if you can call it that) part is the reassembly of the ball bearings in the rack piston nut circuit, and the actual preload ~ over center adjustments, other wise its simple to do and as i said before if there are worn parts, replace them!!!. If you don't have access to the tools or facilities to perform the repair then by all means get a suitable direct bolt on JY replacement or just risk getting a rebuilt gear!.

At some point in the near future (time permitting) ill be performing an autopsy on the old steering gear to show what went wrong with it to begin with and what adjusting the over center ONLY does to the teeth on the sector shaft and rack piston nut!
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Still going strong!

Its been almost 10 months since the steering gear rebuild, and like previous updates Ive made the steering gear is still performing perfectly with zero play and leaks from the adjuster nut!!!!!

Ive been so busy the past 5 months i haven't had any time to devote to any of the other repairs needed on the jeep, and yes the suspension problems are getting worse and worse!!!

Less than a few weeks from now I'll be making the pilgrimage with a friend of mine to his favorite JY, (where i got the steering gear from) and of course ill be like a kid in a candy store scouring over all of the ZJ"S there! just need to not forget the bug spray, tools, list of things i need and some junk clothes to wear so i can get down and dirty!!!!.
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #37
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Glad to hear it has held up. I still have the gear I pulled back then. Mine is not leaking so I kinda put that on the back burner and then the wreck happened that right now is sucking up my time and cash. Yeah,don't forget the spray! This weekend I pulled an abs pump and control just to have and a fair skinned guy with white clothes needed a steering part. He asked if I minded if he took from the one I was working on and I told him not at all. He changed his mind and said "I'm gonna go over in the shade trees and pull one its cooler.
I told him that he might want to rethink that because the skeeters over there are the big black variety and can just about get you airborne. He went anyway and I started counting.Lol, he came running out of there swatting and cursing . These are so bad they will follow you into the sunlight.
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #38
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Glad to hear the box is holding up...i want to do this sometime but have other projects to do first.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Smokey, thank you for this write up. Excellent job on this.

You gave me the confidence to try this myself, ordered the Edelman kit yesterday. I have a 98 ZJ, do you have a source for the Sector shaft bearing with the protruding lip? I have some lateral sector shaft play and think i may like to have one on hand.
OverlandZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #40
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Smokey, thank you for this write up. Excellent job on this.

You gave me the confidence to try this myself, ordered the Edelman kit yesterday. I have a 98 ZJ, do you have a source for the Sector shaft bearing with the protruding lip? I have some lateral sector shaft play and think i may like to have one on hand.
That is one hard part to source, i haven't tried this personally but others Ive read have had luck with sourcing the part at their local automotive machine shop, (not the major auto parts chains). The part markings on the bearing i was reusing is: INA SLH 12501 they might be able to cross reference it or know exactly what it is?
Unfortunately the rebuild kits for the steering gear don't have the bearing but the 95 and older steering gear kits do have the bearing but without the lip on it even though it is the same exact size bore and sector shaft width.
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #41
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

http://www.motionindustries.com/moti...ls&AM_FIRST=Y&

Thought this would help.
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #42
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
That is one hard part to source, i haven't tried this personally but others Ive read have had luck with sourcing the part at their local automotive machine shop, (not the major auto parts chains). The part markings on the bearing i was reusing is: INA SLH 12501 they might be able to cross reference it or know exactly what it is?
Unfortunately the rebuild kits for the steering gear don't have the bearing but the 95 and older steering gear kits do have the bearing but without the lip on it even though it is the same exact size bore and sector shaft width.

I guess the 95- bearing could work if the height is close. The collar on our era rigs is there to position the bearing correctly i'd assume, so if i were to sink a non-collared bearing and top with the seal and snap ring i could lightly tap the bearing/seal back towards the snap ring from the top.

Then again a non collared bearing may not seat against the seal correctly.

Anyway, i Googled the number for that bearing. Found a mention on a Ram forum that a guy was successful in having NAPA cross reference it to #BH 1250. At a cost of $10 i think i might have my local NAPA get one and see if it's collared.
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #43
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post

I'll email or call them and see what they can do with a cross reference of the number Smokey posted, i had no luck entering it in the search field.
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

I have a Car Quest and a Napa auto parts locally here in my town so its time to revisit this when im out and about in the area with the parts numbers and see what i can come up with. I had tried them before the rebuild happened and they couldn't come up with anything from their parts reference books but maybe with the part number it will help a bit?

Ill let ya know what i can come up with.
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Don't know if the pic is just a reference or of the actual part but it needs to have the lip on the end of the bearing so it can be locked in to place when the seal, spacers and snap ring are in place so it doesn't move. the 96 model and up have the lip, 95 and older don't, but the 95 bearing will work in a pinch its just an unknown if the bearing will want to travel away from its operating position or not while in service?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.