HOW TO: Paint your Body Cladding and Bumpers for Less - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HOW TO: Paint your Body Cladding and Bumpers for Less

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

HOW TO: Paint your Body Cladding and Bumpers for Less

So there has been much discussion and many threads about this, so I decided to make a detailed how to based on what I did, what I should have done, suggestions I've received, what I could have done, and what I did wrong. So here goes:

For 93-98 ZJ, with gray body cladding (on Laredo models)
Performed on a black 95 Laredo with gray body cladding and bumpers.

-I don't cover taking the body cladding and bumpers off the vehicle. I didn't want to break the easy-to-break clips, and this saves some time. If you want, give yourself an extra few hours to carefully take the body cladding and bumpers off to paint that way. It probably is easier. But for people like me who have the luck to probably break clips and don't want to, this is for you.

-This is for people with limited resources who want it to look good. It won't be professional, there will be imperfections unless you're a great painter. But overall it will be completely worth the time and effort.

-I have read that the 93-95 cladding is rougher than the 96-98, therefore does not require sanding. I don't know this, but I do know that the 95 has rough and porous cladding that bonds and absorbs paint well.

Before:

What you will need:

1. 6 cans of spray paint for two coats, 8 for three coats. (I was able to do one coat with about two and a half cans)
-I used Rustoleum Satin Black #7777. People have used Krylon Fusion as well, and even spray-on bedliner. I chose Rustoleum because people have said it is very durable. People use bedliner to wash mud off easier, but it fades quickly and does not look as good. Looks or function, your choice

2. Soap and water. Wash your cladding THOROUGHLY and allow to dry COMPLETELY. This is an important step if you want the paint to look good and you're not going to do it the professional way (pro cleaning solvents and chemicals).

3. Primer if you wish. I did not use primer because my cladding is in good shape and porous and adheres to the paint well. I don't think it is necessary. And i'm just cheap

4. Painter's Blue masking tape. Does exactly what it says its supposed to do

5. Masking paper, large tarps, or large sheets of paper for masking entire vehicle

6. Fine sandpaper in case of mistakes 300 should do it.

7. Latex gloves so that you don't get paint on your hands.

7. An entire day (wake up at 9AM to finish before dark!)

Steps:

1. Prepare you area. The entire floor where you are working will be covered in a mist of paint, so prepare for that, either do it on a floor that you don't care about or cover it completely. I would also wear clothes that you don't care about.

2. Mask off your ZJ. **WARNING EDITED** the amount pictured WILL NOT suffice to cover overspray. You can't see it on the final product, I didn't notice for a whole month, but you can feel the overspray all the way to the roof of the zj. Mask your ENTIRE ZJ unless you just don't care about your paint. Like i said you can't notice it unless you rub your finger over the body.

Be sure to take your time and mask carefully. Cover everything that should be covered, picture yourself spraying and cover what you might hit. But also allow as much of your painting surface to be shown. Put newspaper through the 'teeth' in the lower part of your front bumper to protect your radiator. I would suggest lifting the rear hatch and tape on the inside to make the paper stay off the plastic, get the paper under the grille and lights to avoid spraying them. Above all, take your time, pay attention to detail. And cover those wheels!

3. Begin painting your first coat. Just follow your regular painting rules, smooth, even strokes, steady rhythm. Avoid overspraying in one spot and blotching or running, but if you do accidently in the first coat, you can use sandpaper to sand it smooth for your second coat. Aim to use about 2 and one half cans of paint. Allow to dry for 1-2 hours or until paint is dry to touch.

4. Look for imperfections and sand them smooth.

5. Begin painting your second coat. Be very smooth as you will not be able to sand down mistakes unless you want to paint a third coat.

6. If you're impatient, you can peel off the masking and tape about 2 or 3 hours after you are done, it should be mostly dry by then. I would wait for the paint to completely dry so you do not accidently mess up the paint, 24-36 hours. Allow it to stay in a vented garage, out of the elements and breeze so that nothing messes up the paint. It should look like this after drying 3-4 hours.

Post questions or your suggestions, hopefully this will be helpful to people wishing to paint their old, faded gray body cladding

zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Black_Metal_Jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! I did the exact same thing on my 98 Limited. Hated the white on white on gold...so I painted the bumpers and cladding the with the same satin black you used. Also, I did spray on 4 layers of clearcoat afterwards just for that added protection from the elements.
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
808Defender
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeZJ View Post
Looks good! I did the exact same thing on my 98 Limited. Hated the white on white on gold...so I painted the bumpers and cladding the with the same satin black you used. Also, I did spray on 4 layers of clearcoat afterwards just for that added protection from the elements.
I know I wanna do that to my Limited. I really hate the cladding be one color matched with the tacky gold stripe I got. To much bling for me. I just need the time to pull or mask it all off.
808Defender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

what kind of clear coat did you use? how does it look?
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Black_Metal_Jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

808Defender - you don't actually need to pull off the cladding to do it, just grab some plastic sheeting from walmart and some frog tape and mask it off. As zander21510 said, the risk of breaking the clips and whatnot was just too frustrating to think about. I was able to do my whole thing for under $60.

As for the clear coat, I used Rustoleum Spray-On Lacquer. It turned out pretty damn nice. I have to put some updated pics up (after painting my wheels as well), but it is completely washable, waxable, etc. No flaking or anything.

Two thing I'd like to add though...use 2000 grit sandpaper between clear coats. It makes each clear coat to adhere better and allowed for heavier coats without any bleeding. Also, if you have an extra 6-7 bucks, grab one of those spray can trigger handles. It saves a lot of hand fatigue haha.
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Awesome Job! I did the same thing to my Jeep last summer and I love how it came out!
As a unrelated question, how did you get your headlights so clean? They look brand new!

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

they are new lol got em off ebay around a year ago, cheapos from china but i made em work.
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510
they are new lol got em off ebay around a year ago, cheapos from china but i made em work.
I'm running the same ones, been about 2 1/2 years now and still look brand new!
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
tcar
2000 WJ 

Ebay headlights really are good... don't seem to yellow at all, at least for 5 years...

...and the price is GREAT.
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

But do remember you get what you pay for, the little sockets that pop onto the header panel on mine were too small/molded wrong, so I did the redneck thing and super glued them in its strong enough to hold them in, yet weak enough if I need to get back there i can pop them off lol.
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

FWIW probably takes less time to remove the rear bumper than mask it.

It's good you're happy with the results but anyone doing this kind of project, pro or not, needs a gallon of professional "wax & grease remover" on the shelf. Under twenty bucks anywhere selling paint and will double as tar remover, sticker adhesive remover, etc. It's extra important for rattle can users to get the surface clean because the paint formulation doesn't bite as agressively as pro-mixed product.

Krylon or Rusto satin black will chalk out in 2 years of daily exposure and need redone. No dressup chemicals will restore the black at that point. Been there, done that. Satin black trim paint by SEM or whatever rattle cans the pro places sell will look better, longer. Not trying to pick, just a few observations based on 2 decades of rattle-can detailing.

good luck with the project and nicely done writeup
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
AB1907F_Skyler
1994 ZJ 

Awesome!! i just did mine about 2 weeks ago, but with the Krylon Fusion (Satin black). It looks great! I also hit the roof rack and sideveiw miriors with the fusion while I was at it. And I've been off roading, and then pressure washed it since then, and its all holding up great so far!
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
danegerousZJ25
2006 WK 

I really don't have access to a garage.like you I'm in texas (houston)should I stop this while the sun is out our wait for a cloudy day?
danegerousZJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

im in houston right now myself, and its pretty much never a good idea to do anything in the sun :P i would wait for a cloudy day, but you need someplace to let the paint properly dry and you don't want a gust of wind to blow crap on your wet paint...find somebody with a garage
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
AB1907F_Skyler
1994 ZJ 

yeah, i ended up doing mine in a grass field because i didn't have a garage... but, it would have been a lot easier if i did!

Tags
body , bumper , paint , plastic , plastic fenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.