How To: Overhead console install on 93-95 ZJs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How To: Overhead console install on 93-95 ZJs

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Ewout_vB
1995 ZJ 

How To: Overhead console install on 93-95 ZJs

Overhead console install for 93-95 Jeep Grand Cherokees (ZJ)
Written by Ewout_vB

First we need to discuss what is needed to install an overhead console into a jeep that did not come with it. You will need the following parts:
• The overhead console, the fabric color is not important as you can always redo the material on there. The console has to be from 93-95, as the other years communicate differently with the car as the 96 and after jeeps have a BCM.
• Mounting bracket with the 2 bolts and 1 screw to hold up the front of the overhead console.
• Wiring--either the complete wiring harness or enough wire to connect the ambient temperature sensor and overhead console with the connector for the overhead console, 100 way connector, and ambient temperature sensor (if you have the ATC – automatic temperature control then you should already have the ambient temp sensor). You can always visit a junkyard to get the connectors or even the whole wiring harness; just make sure to read the notice below about the 2 different versions so that you get the right version.

Wiring the 100-way connector.

If you have the wiring harness for the overhead console, then you need to check whether it really is the correct wiring harness before you plug it in. The wiring gets a little more complicated as I found out with my 95ZJ which had electrical components from a 93ZJ service manual. Under the passenger kick panel there are 2 versions of the “100-way connector”. This is what the “100-way” connector cluster looks like:

There is a wiring harness with a green and red connector. This is from a 94-95 ZJ, however make sure to check as my 95 ZJ didn’t have this layout. Then there is the earlier version that has a black and red connector for the 100-way connector which can be found in the 93 ZJ service manual. The easiest way to check is to look at the black and green connector. If you have a green plug with 1 wire, then you need the “94-95” harness with the green and red plug. If you have a black plug near the top of the cluster with 1 wire, then you need the 93 harness with the black and red plug. Please note that the “year” I’m using to refer to the harness types doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to get it from a jeep from that year, it’s just that they reflect the service manual from those years.

Here is an example:

This is a black plug with only 1 wire, which means that this person needs a 93 wiring harness. This is what my 95 ZJ had.

Here are the important connectors from the 94-95 ZJ for the 100-way connector cluster, **PLEASE NOTE** just because it is from the 95 ZJ service manual DOES NOT mean it will be in your 94-95 ZJ. My 95 ZJ did not have this layout.

Last edited by Ewout_vB; 06-27-2007 at 04:14 PM..
Ewout_vB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Ewout_vB
1995 ZJ 

Now here are the “same” connectors on the 93 ZJ (please note connector G is black and H is red):

Now if you have the overhead console OEM wiring harness you can go ahead and plug it in if you have the right connector that replaces the one with 1 wire in it. Be sure to connect the single wire that was in the “blank” old harness to the new connector. I believe it’s VT/YL (violet striped yellow) for circuit G71 which is the VTA lift gate key cylinder connection. However, if the connector does not match the blank (1 wire) one in your 100-way connector, then you have to go to a junkyard and get a connector (black or green) that can fit in the correct slot with all the wires in it so you can use it to wire all the needed connections. Just cut off the old connector if needed and solder on the new one. At this point, you should be done with most of the wiring if you already have the wiring harness with the original or new connector that match your vehicle. So if you have the correct wiring harness now you can now just skip to the wiring of the ambient temperature sensor.

If you are making your own wiring harness, you do not have to get the red plug if you already have the keyless entry option, you can instead tap these wires of off the wiring harness of the keyless entry module. If you do not have the keyless entry dome then you have to get the red plug as well so you can have the wire the keyless entry module in the overhead console.

Now here are the pin outs for connectors of the overhead console and keyless entry module. This is the same in every 93-95 as far as I know.

Now just wire it correctly between the connectors and plug it in. As for the length of the wires it’s never a bad idea to have the wires a little too long and trimming it later to the right length.

If you are making your own wiring harness and you already have the keyless entry module present and you do not want to also wire the red connector as it’s already wired up to the above the headliner anyway, then do the following (worked for me):
The only connections that the overhead console does not get from the black/green connector in the 100-way connector (depending on your year) is pin 6-8 on the overhead console connector pinout. These connections in the factory wiring harness are in fact spliced from the red connector before it reaches the overhead console and keyless entry module. In other words you can simply connect to the wires that go to the pins 6 (red striped white), 8 (yellow striped dark green), and 12 (yellow) on the keyless entry module.

Wiring the ambient temperature sensor.

Now we still have 2 wires that are not connected yet. That is pin 9-10 on the overhead console connector. These have to go to the ambient temp sensor. If you do not have the climate control (ATC) then you have to run 2 wires through the firewall to behind the grill, which is where you connect the wires to the ambient temperature sensor. I went to the junkyard to get the connector and then bought a new temperature sensor. I guided the wires from the middle of the ceiling down the right A-pillar to the passenger kick panel. From there I guided them all the way to the driver side where I made a hole in one of the grommets through the firewall and finally guided them to behind the grill where I soldered it to the connector I picked up at the junkyard.

Now for if you have the ATC or climate control. The ATC should send the info via the HEVAC module over the CCD bus that is already connected via the black/green connector from the 100-way connector cluster. Your best bet is to leave the 2 wires on the overhead console disconnected at first and connect the 2 connectors on the overhead and see if it receives any temp information or whether it states OC. If the overhead console states OC (open connection), try to get the connector to plug into the red connector or just cut the connector off and solder it on. Here is a picture of this red connector:

Before you wire the overhead console to this connector, it would be smart to take a multi-meter and see if the resistance makes sense. It should be 336K ohms at -40 Fahrenheit and 2.488K ohms at 140 Fahrenheit, anywhere in between should be good.

Mounting the overhead console.
The mounting bracket should come with 2 bolts. I believe they’re self tapping, but I’m not sure. It has FWD stamped on there – point this forward. This way the bracket only fits behind the bracket for the dome/keyless entry one way. The holes should already be there, but they are really small.

Now you also need a screw to hold the front of the overhead console. Simply get a screw that is long enough so that you can put it in the hole of the overhead console and that it sticks out enough to hold onto the metal but without being crazy long where you might go through the roof. I suggest you take a screw out of the sun visor hold (the little plastic holder) and get a screw that’s the same type but longer).

Cutting the headliner.
I can’t really say much here. I tried getting measurements from people who had overhead consoles but no one was able to help me. I suggest getting a piece of cardboard and cut this first instead of the headliner. Then use this to cut the headliner. I used these 2 pictures as references and always make sure the hole is less wide than the overhead console (thanks Yardman Harry from JeepForum.com).

Good luck!

PS the rumor going around on various boards that you need the right VIC or ATC or even BCM to get the overhead console working is false. The 93-95 ZJs don’t even have a BCM this was added in 96. The VIC only communicates to the metric / US standard button and nothing else. And the ATC also uses this metric/US standards button and sometimes to be used to transmit the temp sensor information via the CCD bus instead of a straight wired connection to the overhead console from the ambient temp sensor behind the grill. You can put an overhead console in any 93-95 jeep, you just have to make sure you connect everything correctly. The only thing that “could” be incompatible might be the PCM I have not seen any different PCMs that are incompatible.

Please notice most of these pictures are not mine, thanks for everyone’s help!

Last edited by Ewout_vB; 06-27-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Unread 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Ewout_vB
1995 ZJ 

I'll attach a PDF file soon in case any images go down.
Unread 06-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
dpierson

Great write up. Looks like we need a mod to sticky this.

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Very nice...we'll have to see if we can get a mod to submit this to the technical articles section.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Great writeup. I put it in the faqs.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Steve Lloyd

do you have a picture of where the ambient temp sensor is located?? I need to get one for my install, but have no idea where to start looking or, other than behind the grille.

Thanks..........excellent write-up................
Steve Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
cmsch180
1995 ZJ 

I have a question..I have a 95ZJ it has the overhead console and keyless entry system and what not, i was wondering if it were possible to directly replace the keyless entry module with an aftermarket one, using the wires in the OHC. and would i have to worry about the alarm if the factory one wasnt hooked up?
I have a spare module out of a 94 that i can get the connector off of..
cmsch180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Is your old one broke? even if you have the alarm disabled, you should be able to use a factory key FOB to work the doors.
I know the infrared ones stink, Are you just looking for an upgrade?
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
cmsch180
1995 ZJ 

yeah, my OEM unit still works, but i'm tired of the crappy range. and my fob is damaged(missing a button) i could buy 2 RF keyless entry systems for the price of one of those remotes. and i do not have the alarm disabled, its nice to have it cause one of the doors doesn't lock, my question about the alarm is..would i have to have a trigger from the aftermarket module to disarm the alarm when the doors unlock? i looked at the wiring diagram..pin 5 "VTA Arm Sense" what exactly does that do?
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
cmsch180
1995 ZJ 

I guess i'll just fiigure it out myself
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
00grdcherokee

I have a 2000 grand cherokee limited and just purchased a keyless remote and i programmed it and all and the overhead says transmitted but i push the buttons on the remote and nothing. Help please
00grdcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00grdcherokee View Post
I have a 2000 grand cherokee limited and just purchased a keyless remote and i programmed it and all and the overhead says transmitted but i push the buttons on the remote and nothing. Help please
Just as a heads up. You would probably get more responses if you started your own topic in the proper sub forum fore your wj grand cherokee. Plus this thread is over 5 years old...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.