How much wire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How much wire?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

How much wire?

I'm going to be running 8ga power cable from the battery all the way to the "stash compartment" in the back of the ZJ, to power an inverter for running a compressor, lights, etc.

Just curious how much wire I pick up to do this. I'm sure plenty of people here have installed subs in their ZJ... how much do you use? I shouldn't need much more.

Unread 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

2ga not 8ga

I think I used about 16' when I ran mine. Use a good quality distribution block in the back and you can run a bunch of stuff. I'd think about doing two runs as well, one dedicated to the inverter and a second run to a distribution block for compressor, lights, etc...
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Somewhere online i found a chart telling what gauge wire for a certain length for each wattage inverter. I have a 200watt, 10 foot of 4 gauge, but i wired it so i could up it to a 400watt later on, and mines just under passenger seat...
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

I need to figure out where to order a good amount of 2-6 gauge power wire...I need to rewire my amp in a different location.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

2 gauge for a 475w inverter? Hell, even 12ga would probably cut it but I'm not risking that. The 475w runs my compressor no problem, and it's a decent size portable compressor. I'm not looking at running a million things at once.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Also what is the best place to come through the firewall?
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I went from the battery, along the front, through the frame rail and up through the floor under the rear seat to the block.

Also, welding wire is cheaper and just as good as any "auto use" or Audio" cable you'll buy.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Ebay has some pretty good deals on amp/power wire. Just be on the lookout for the ripoff ads that are selling copper coated aluminum wire.

On my jeep, I ran my amp wire from the battery to the firewall, across the firewall to the driver's side, then drilled a hole on a flat empty surface and used a rubber sheetmetal grommet so the wire wouldn't wear on the metal. I also used plenty of black rtv just for peace of mind. The wire runs inside under the door jamb trim and comes out under the rear seat. There's plenty of room to sneak the wire from under the seat to the rear cargo area.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Went to the discount store today. My buddy was looking for a cheap sub install kit. I ended up picking one up too, but not for subs. I didn't like the looks of the 8ga wire (looked wayyyy too thin!). I was going to go with 6ga but it was $1.50/ft. Figured I'd get 20 feet of it, so $30. There was a 4ga sub install kit which also came with a ground, fuse and holder, RCA's, some speaker wire, etc, for $35. Figured why not, for the extra 5 bucks.

If 20ft isn't enough, I'll just get a couple more feet and put it between the battery and the fuse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.