how much of the tie rod linkage to replace? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
badkelly
2005 WK 

how much of the tie rod linkage to replace?

i'm back with a 97 grand cherokee for the wife (dave ramsey car). long story short, i'm going to redo the front steering on it. i've done other makes (like camaros) but never a jeep. how much to replace on it? it pulls a little to the left and i'm going to do shocks and sway bars in the future for better handling, but i wanted to renew the front end now before the alignment. i figured:

tie rod ball joints,tie rod ends, steering damper, and drag link.

is this too much or not enough or is there something else i should consider while i'm in the immediate area?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Track bar, and control arm bushings (upper and lowers) would be well worth replacing. Also the steering stabilizer if it looks shoddy.

1995 ZJ 5.2L V8 318. 230,000 miles and still rollin.

List of parts not replaced yet:
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
badkelly
2005 WK 

does the pitman arm have a soft end on it? also, the whole track bar or just the bushings?

edit: also, i haven't pulled a wheel off yet.....are the main ball joints riveted in or are they bolted from the factory?
edit2: nevermind, the manual says they are pressed in. guess i'll have the shop do that with the alignment
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 PM
sebian
1995 ZJ 

If I recall correctly, the pitman arm just has a hole in it where the tie rod end connects.

Replace the whole track bar, save yourself the time, effort and knuckles of trying to press new bushings in.

re: edit 2: Borrow a ball joint press from a parts store. Auto Zone has like a $100 deposit for it, but you get it back when you return it. Makes easy work of the ball joints, and you can do each side in about an hour.

1995 ZJ 5.2L V8 318. 230,000 miles and still rollin.

List of parts not replaced yet:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.