how much of the tie rod linkage to replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how much of the tie rod linkage to replace?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
badkelly
2005 WK 

how much of the tie rod linkage to replace?

i'm back with a 97 grand cherokee for the wife (dave ramsey car). long story short, i'm going to redo the front steering on it. i've done other makes (like camaros) but never a jeep. how much to replace on it? it pulls a little to the left and i'm going to do shocks and sway bars in the future for better handling, but i wanted to renew the front end now before the alignment. i figured:

tie rod ball joints,tie rod ends, steering damper, and drag link.

is this too much or not enough or is there something else i should consider while i'm in the immediate area?

badkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Track bar, and control arm bushings (upper and lowers) would be well worth replacing. Also the steering stabilizer if it looks shoddy.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
badkelly
2005 WK 

does the pitman arm have a soft end on it? also, the whole track bar or just the bushings?

edit: also, i haven't pulled a wheel off yet.....are the main ball joints riveted in or are they bolted from the factory?
edit2: nevermind, the manual says they are pressed in. guess i'll have the shop do that with the alignment
badkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
sebian
1995 ZJ 

If I recall correctly, the pitman arm just has a hole in it where the tie rod end connects.

Replace the whole track bar, save yourself the time, effort and knuckles of trying to press new bushings in.

re: edit 2: Borrow a ball joint press from a parts store. Auto Zone has like a $100 deposit for it, but you get it back when you return it. Makes easy work of the ball joints, and you can do each side in about an hour.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.