How Much For A New Head Gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How Much For A New Head Gasket?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Briandl

How Much For A New Head Gasket?

So I have a blown head gasket, 2002 WJ V8, does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have both gaskets replaced, and how many hours the job runs?

TIA

Briandl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
cmonson

why would you replace BOTH head gaskets.

Why wouldn't you just replace one of the head gaskets?

THat being said I would expect about 5 hours of labor/gasket. The gasket is about $40 I believe.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonson
why would you replace BOTH head gaskets.

Why wouldn't you just replace one of the head gaskets?

THat being said I would expect about 5 hours of labor/gasket. The gasket is about $40 I believe.
My impression was always that when changing a headgasket that has leaked on an engine that might have overheated, it was always better to resurface the head. Now resurfacing the head could change a bit the compression, so that would be the reason to do both sides.
Again, I have done only one side, and had no problems, but my engine had not overheated and I used new headbolts.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
cyberbrain
2008 JK Wrangler 

might as well do both since you will have the engine down to a long block anyway. it depends on how easy things go for the mechanic. if it all comes right off, then 5hrs is resonable. If not the mech could reach 8hrs. So it depends on what your mech charges. my personal mech charges me 68.90 a hr.

2008 Wrangler Unlimited X. 4dr, 4x4, 3.8 V6, 3.73 D44 LSD.

93 Grand Cherokee Laredo. SOLD. Sad to see it go.
cyberbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
cmonson

I would NOT bother changing both head gaskets. Take the head off that has the bad gasket and have the shop check it for straightness. If it checks out OK, then throw a gasket down and bolt it back up.

If you had a rig with 200K miles on it I would say go ahead and do both, but seeing you have a 2002 there can't be that many miles.

I
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Briandl

I've heard it's a good idea to replace both because it doesn't cost twice as much, and this has been such a bad experience that I hope to not ever have to deal with it again.

But I'll certainly consider just doing one side.

96500 miles...

Oh and by the way, the engine didn't over heat before the headgasket blew, it actually over heated after because it was burning coolant and got low, but I noticed it and never got into the red zone...
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
cmonson

A head gasket is a fairly common item to go.

It really isn't going to save you that much money doing it now.

THe only thing it is going to save you is taking off and re-installing the intake. It really is NOT that big of a deal. 1 hour to take off, 1 hour to put on.

If you are going to put on a new head gasket on the side that is 100% fine, then you still are going to have to take off all of the accessories on that side off.

But hey it's your money. I will say this though. If you are taking both heads off, you might as well do a cam upgrade, and replace the timing components while you there. WOn't cost you that much more but the parts. You also might as well take both heads in to be rebuilt or at min checked out.
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
PumaZJ

Where are you located?

If you're in NC, bring it to me. I'll take care of it.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
Briandl

I wish, in San Antonio, TX...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.