How Much Coolant Needed to Flush Radiator and Overflow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How Much Coolant Needed to Flush Radiator and Overflow?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
CobraSpdRH
1999 WJ 

How Much Coolant Needed to Flush Radiator and Overflow?

Just stopped by NAPA and at $15 a gallon that Zerex G-05 stuff is expensive! I just want to flush my radiator and overflow tank, not planning on emptying out the block. According to WJJeeps.com my 99 takes 13 quarts total, so at 50/50 that would be 6.5 quarts. How much will I need for just flushing the radiator and overflow? A gallon of coolant and the same of distilled water?

EDIT: I am an idiot who cannot read and/or do conversions...I've corrected my math

Last edited by CobraSpdRH; 10-01-2009 at 01:40 PM..
CobraSpdRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's Quarts, not Gallons. 13 guarts = 3 gal. 1 guart. 1.5 gallon of anti-freeze and 1 .75 gal, of water will be fine.

Last edited by vosevichs; 10-01-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Brain Fart
vosevichs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Wait wait wait, do you have G-05 in there now? Or is it just regular boring coolant. Make sure this is important they do NOT mix. Chrysler didn't convert to G-05 until 2001 model year: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf Make sure you do not mix the coolants. And use distilled water.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good Point lordhobit. I switched to HOAT when I flushed my system last time.

4.0L engine - Adding additional coolant

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Only Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain to obtain a freeze point of -35F (-37C). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
CobraSpdRH
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vosevichs View Post
That's Quarts, not Gallons. 13 guarts = 2 gal. 1 guart. 1 gallon of anti-freeze and 1 gal, 1 gt. of water will be fine.
Man, I knew somehow that didn't add up to me lol. Thanks for the clarification.
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
CobraSpdRH
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
Wait wait wait, do you have G-05 in there now? Or is it just regular boring coolant. Make sure this is important they do NOT mix. Chrysler didn't convert to G-05 until 2001 model year: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf Make sure you do not mix the coolants. And use distilled water.
I knew about the distilled, but even my owners manual says to use the EthyleneGlycol. Funny b/c the NAPA guy told me his system said the regular old stuff, but I told him my owners manul said otherwise.

So is it hard to get to that bolt on the block to drain the whole thing? I read it is under teh exhaust manifold right? I just want to be sure, and the safest way to do that would be to flush everything I guess, start from scratch.
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

flush it all would be the safest. Getting to the block drain isn't hard, it's getting the thing out. It might not be too hard, but the last one I did (an old 1966 dodge pickup, probably never been out before) took a bit of effort.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Brain fart, It's 4 guarts to a gallon. 1.5 gal. of anti freeze and 1.75 gal. of distilled water
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

That's about what you need (actually 6.5 qts of water and that same amount antifreeze for a 50/50 mix)) if the cooling system is completely empty. Simply draining the radiator will leave close 1/2 of the old coolant in the engine and heater hoses and core. That old coolant would be a 50/50 mix so only about 6.5 qts of new 50/50 mix would be needed to fill up the system. That requires only a little more that 3 qts of antifreeze and the same mount of water.

If you do a normal flush, which still leaves the engine and heater full of water, not coolant, then it would take the addition of about 6.5 qts of undiluted antifreeze to give a 50/50 mix for the entire cooling system.
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
CobraSpdRH
1999 WJ 

So I was just up underneath there making sure I could take care of everything and I couldn't see anywhere where the block drain plug could be. Do I get at it from underneath? I can see the ex. manifold but I don't see how I could get in there to get out a bolt. Might have to invest in a Chiltons on Saturday lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.