How much abuse/power can the stock front knuckles/hubs take? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How much abuse/power can the stock front knuckles/hubs take?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-27-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
C10CoryM

How much abuse/power can the stock front knuckles/hubs take?

Hi guys, I am building a little hotrod. The plan is to use front 4wd knuckles and hubs as RWD drive hubs. I wont get into specifics, but it looks like the knuckle assembly from these jeeps will do what I want. I am looking into the Dana 30 with the command-trac. Im pretty sure its from this generation of grand cherokee... right? Anyhow, What I need to know is if any of you guys have had any problems with the hub or the splines on the outer axleshafts? All I will be using is the outer axles (after the U-joints),the hub/bearings, and the knuckle.
The good news is the car will be very light (under 2000lbs) with minimal traction (not drag racing). The bad news (for the driveline anyway ) is that it will be 500hp. I worry about stripping the splines or breaking the hub.
I realize this is an odd post but I would appretiate any info. If you know of guys running big 4x4 tires and low gears through the stock hubs et al please let me know. Also if there are any aftermarket units, or an aftermarket hub with better metals please speak up.
Thanks for any help.
CoryM

C10CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Make sure you post pictures of this thing..

To answer your question.. I have 4:11 gears 33" tires and a little over 325 horse with close to 400lbs of torque running thru my dana 30 hubs..
I do have moseler axles but the outer hubs and such are stock..

I hope that helps.. I know there are some guys on Jeeps Unlimited (speed freaks forum) that have super chargers and such so they may know more about how much power they will hold up to...
Good luck..

Hope I have helped in at least a small way..

Carl
Unread 12-29-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
C10CoryM

I have 4:11 gears 33" tires and a little over 325 horse with close to 400lbs of torque running thru my dana 30 hubs..

This is what I like to hear. I am pretty sure they will be strong enough as I am not drag racing the thing. No 4000rpm launches with slicks.
Thanks for directing me to speedfreaks. Ive posted there as well.
As you can tell I am still planning it out but the final product should look something like this.

http://members.shaw.ca/surquip/bill.jpg
That is a 1963 Cheetah, GMs answer to the AC cobra. Came out of the shop with 520hp sbc (377ci) and only 1600lbs. I am building a chassis for it and will use a repro body with a few styling changes.
Mine will be 377ci (not the same as an origional cheetah engine),T56 6 spd, havent decided the rear gears.
Thanks again for the help.
CoryM
C10CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.