how many miles does your zj have, and whats wrong with it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how many miles does your zj have, and whats wrong with it?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 05-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Chrisgary
1998 ZJ 

how many miles does your zj have, and whats wrong with it?

mines a 98 grand cherokee laredo with 165000. head gaskets no good, but runs, and sudden hole in my tank. rotted I guess, but only at full so I guess its the seal

Chrisgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Your tank can't be rotted since it is plastic but I have a 96 zj with 280,000+ and I only have minor front end problems from weekly wheeling and my only other major issue is that my rear axel is starting to go because the housing It's self is bent. I have on the other hand put 3 transmissions in since I bought it along with the large among of money spent on rubber and suspension parts. Original motor though. Still running strong
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Sarjam
2003 WJ 

95 ZJ 4.0 with 137k, need exhaust manifold and exhaust. Going in Wed to be all fixed up.
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

134k, needs windshield, front hubs and bearings
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Benja
1997 ZJ 

40k (yes, 40k) she needs new front, headlights, dashboard, airbags and fix the ABS light
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Chrisgary
1998 ZJ 

plastic?! I haven't even taken the cover off! That's awesome! I've only ever had metal tanks, first zj ya know
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
949702jeeps
1997 ZJ 

130000 no major problems. Knock on wood
949702jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgary View Post
plastic?! I haven't even taken the cover off! That's awesome! I've only ever had metal tanks, first zj ya know
I wouldn't call it a good thing, let alone awesome. Those plastic tanks are famous for leaking, and I personally prefer my all metal aftermarket radiator.

Lemme think, mines got 165k miles and its a few bolts short of complete. Off the top of my head its missing one of the throttle bracket bolts, the manifold itself it actually cracked where the bolt used to go so I'll need a new intake manifold to fix that. The TV cable is attached to the throttle with 3 zip ties. I'm missing a motor mount bolt, (What I get for paying somebody else to deal with them.) And I'm missing a puke tank bolt, I don't know where it went but it disappeared when I replaced my front brake lines. (One runs next to the computer **** on the passenger side.)

Also my exhaust manifold is leaking, my oil filter adapter rounded out when I tried going at it with a T-60 and a 3 foot pipe, and the parking brakes need replacement.

I ordered a doug thorley header from kolak as well as his 2.5 inch exhaust but the header is MIA since I ordered it back in december and I'm still waiting in may. When it finally shows up I'll probably go junkyard hopping to find a 99 intake manifold.

If anyone has a clue about the status on the most recent batch of 4.0 headers from doug thorley I'd love to hear it.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
9859limited
1998 ZJ 

300925 and leaking anti freeze, and leaky transmission front seal.(thats all currently *knocks on wood*) Getting fixed next week. And yes it's the niner.
9859limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Chrisgary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWit

I wouldn't call it a good thing, let alone awesome. Those plastic tanks are famous for leaking, and I personally prefer my all metal aftermarket radiator.

Lemme think, mines got 165k miles and its a few bolts short of complete. Off the top of my head its missing one of the throttle bracket bolts, the manifold itself it actually cracked where the bolt used to go so I'll need a new intake manifold to fix that. The TV cable is attached to the throttle with 3 zip ties. I'm missing a motor mount bolt, (What I get for paying somebody else to deal with them.) And I'm missing a puke tank bolt, I don't know where it went but it disappeared when I replaced my front brake lines. (One runs next to the computer **** on the passenger side.)

Also my exhaust manifold is leaking, my oil filter adapter rounded out when I tried going at it with a T-60 and a 3 foot pipe, and the parking brakes need replacement.

I ordered a doug thorley header from kolak as well as his 2.5 inch exhaust but the header is MIA since I ordered it back in december and I'm still waiting in may. When it finally shows up I'll probably go junkyard hopping to find a 99 intake manifold.

If anyone has a clue about the status on the most recent batch of 4.0 headers from doug thorley I'd love to hear it.
its awesome because I can just throw a patch kit on it, not permanent but it'll be good for a little bit I hope.

and update, rear diff is leaking as of today. had to get winched from a hole and drug my axles across the center. this rig is gonna run 40in tires soon I don't care what it costs.
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgary View Post
40in tires soon I don't care what it costs.
You know I can't think of a single guy on the boards who actually has 40" tires on their zj, and I can't help but wonder why. Even IRO only says that their lift can fit 37" tires but recommend running 35" tires with a 7" long arm kit.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

170,000. Headliner needs replacing, I need to re-solder some contacts in the sunroof module (I'll do those two things together), cruise control light bulb in the dash is burned out, the switch for my high beams and the driver's side seat warmer needs some trouble shooting.
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
jaguarjoe
1995 ZJ 

Bought a 95 from a "friend" for $500 with 155k. He said it only had 3 problems, it's up to 25 so far Little by little its getting straight. I've got 3 pick and pulls nearby each with many ZJ's so the cost has been sorta low. Some friend.
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Pattywagon92

205,070 miles with the 5.2 and couple plastic interior pieces are cracked. DDS(dings, dents, and scratches).
Pattywagon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
BrandonLong
1996 ZJ 

169k Needs some shocks and a power steering adjustment! A tuneup is on the way and maybe an Alternator

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.