Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How many cans of spray liner?

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  melk 
#1 ·
Anyone that has used th spray on bedliner, how many can did it take you to do the cladding and bumpers? Are you happy with the results?

#2 ·
I took 2.5 cans to do both bumpers, the grill, the mirrors, and the cladding. Overall I'm somewhat happy with it. From going through car washes it's flaking off, but that may be because I had krylon fusion under it (which didn't hold up longer than a week.)

I would use roll on bed if I did it again.

#3 ·
I don't know about the number of cans, but I have seen one where the owner took the time to sand the cladding down and put a plastic-paint adhesive underneath. It looked great, and the pictures were taken two years later. I think that is the way to go if you want it to last. Good luck!

#4 ·
I wish I had taken pictures of mine when we did it. We sanded the cladding with 400 and then used dawn to clean it and get all the grease and dirt off, then hit it with a sealer, here's the part were I left because I had to go to work and wasn't around when they sprayed it so I am not sure how many it took as it was done and sitting outside my buddies used car lot shop the next day when I woke up and got a ride to go get it. I just helped with the prep work...I have good buddies:D

#5 ·
Hmmm thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Thing is, here at Walmart 1 gallon of the roll on is like $45 bucks. Cans are $7 each.

I removed my cladding and I'll be doing my grille and side mirrors with spray paint, so I could probably get away with just 2 cans for the (trimmed) bumpers and runners. Nice. :D

#7 ·
UPDATE:

Sprayed the grille and rear bumper today after sanding them a bit. Used up 2 cans and it still needs more, at least another full coat each.

I would STRONGLY reccomend that you have everything off, taped up, and ready to paint before you begin. I used the cans of Rustoleum liner from Walmart. It seemed to spray just fine, BUT if you stop without using the full can, and then come back to it later to do more it seems that it would NOT spray for me, even when you could feel there was a lot left in the can. It had plenty of co2 left but it wasn't shooting out he paint even after alot of shaking. The best I could do was shake 1 or 2 times, get alittle spurt of paint, shake 1 or 2 times, another litle spurt. And repeat, over and over. Needless to say this does not give very good coverage at all.

It may have just been clogged and it recomends you clean the nozzle with some mineral spirits etc. I couldn't do this however since I didn't have any here at work :D

Anyway, I think the grille looks awesome, bye bye bling!

#9 ·
^^^^ Ahhh great tip yes that makes sense.

I'll probably need 2 more cans to do the front bumper and sides. Rear bumper and grille could probably use a little touch up in a couple spots and I'd like to do the side mirror housings as well. So maybe more like 3 or 4 more cans :p Just sucks they are $7 bucks apop :(

But checking it out today after it had all night to set it really does look great. 10000x better than the gray. All-black zj ftw! :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.