How long does a code stay in memory *LONG* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How long does a code stay in memory *LONG*

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 07-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Death-Mobile

How long does a code stay in memory *LONG*

I've been battling a trans issue for a long time now. I had been getting a P1763 ever since installing a new valve body with a transgo kit. Recently I dropped the pan (already swapped out sensors twice before)...and turned the line pressure down. For about 2 hours of driving, the code was gone! I thought I fixed it. Well...my girlfriend called me to tell me the code came back. I cycled the key switch and now instead of just P1763...it has P1763 AND P1762.

A little history: I had kept the pressure cranked up after I replaced the sensor and solenoid, and installed a 150ohm resistor in the signal wire as transgo and various people suggested.

Is it possible that the P1763 is a stored code? The problem is that I had disconnected the battery prior to this and let it sit for about 45 minutes. I thought that would clear the code. Does the old code come back when another trouble code is triggered if you never cleared it with a scan tool?

The reason I ask is because this is either going to make me happy, or very angry. If it's only a P1762...I am on my way to fixing it. I would just have to remove the 150 ohm resistor or crank up the line pressure a little more to even things out. If it is a P1763 AND P1762...I am at a loss. I never had P1762, so I obviously did something by adjusting the line pressure.

Here are my thoughts if that P1763 is NOT a stored code: APS used an older 42RE valve body (pre98)...and it needs to be flashed. (There was a TSB about an erroneous MIL for P1763 on pre 99 valve bodies) Interesting because the code came as soon as I slapped the body on the trans. It's very random, although inclines seemed to trigger it more often. I have also read that a disrupted ground can cause both codes, which usually comes from a bad 02 sensor. However, I don't have any codes for an 02 sensor, and it's about 300 dollars to replace them....

I am REALLY hoping it is a simple issue of line pressure. It was too high, and now it's too low. A small tweak to fix....however I don't know if that P1763 is an active code (regretfully...I think it is).

Death-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Erase the codes. Then if P1763 comes back, you will know that it represents an actual problem with the voltage. Many code readers will erase them, disconnecting the battery for a while is reported to do it, disconnecting the negative battery cable and then holding the key in the start position for about 20 seconds is said to do it. I've never had to do erase codes, so I've never tried any of those methods.
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
comishcraig
1997 ZJ 

It should be as simple as erasing the code with your code reader. Then if it comes back you'll know that it is still an issue. I've seen codes last for months without being erased.
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 - Mountain fun Vehicle
1996 Kawasaki 750ss - Lake fun
1996 Kawasaki 750xi - More lake fun
comishcraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

I think it is 50 key cycles on a ZJ, I don't know what it is on a WJ though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

pull the battery and turn the key on to discharge the energy stored in the pcm caps. it is now a "fresh" pcm with no adaptive memory or codes stored.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
pull the battery and turn the key on to discharge the energy stored in the pcm caps. it is now a "fresh" pcm with no adaptive memory or codes stored.
x2 :2thum bsup:: 2thumbsup:

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Death-Mobile

oh cool. i'll do that later today and get back. i had a feeling that the pcm held things in memory even if the battery was disconnected for a while.
Death-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Disconnect the negative batt. cable for a few minutes and reconnect the codes will be cleared! If they come back its time to look into the reason and correct! Good Luck!!!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Death-Mobile

Well...I took off the breather I put on the extended vent line I made for the trans. Seems as though the code hasn't come back. Either 1762 or 1763. I put the breather back on...and P1763 came on while on an incline. Maybe it's a coincidence. Line pressure is only at 2 turns in, AND I have the resistor in place, so 1763 can't be caused by the actual setting in the body. The fact the P1762 came on that one time must be for the setting being out of whack, not low, because I don't know how ONLY P1763 would come back now. This is a damn nightmare. I'll let it go for a while without the cap on the breather hose and see what it does. The next step would be to go to a dealer and have them flash the computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.