How long for a brake job? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How long for a brake job?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
gmp211
2002 WJ 

How long for a brake job?

So I ordered up some new akebono calipers, rotors, and pads for the front and pads for the back. How long would I be looking to wait if I brought it to a shop?

I ask only because I've been getting a couple of different times and I want to see which one would be more accurate.

Unread 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmp211 View Post
So I ordered up some new akebono calipers, rotors, and pads for the front and pads for the back. How long would I be looking to wait if I brought it to a shop?

I ask only because I've been getting a couple of different times and I want to see which one would be more accurate.
Shouldn't take more than an hour and a half in a shop, or two hours in your driveway even if you've never done brakes before. It's really very easy, and you'll spend less on all the tools you need than you'll spend having it all done at a shop.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'd say 2-3 hours MAX
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Ya I called the local MIDAS but the guy was a complete tool. He started flipping out asking were I got the parts and if I talked to anyone about them. w/e

Hit up the local Pep Boys and they said just drop it in and they'll call me when its done. I think the guy said it was going to be like $60. Resonable?
Unread 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Ya, thats less than a hour labor charge.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Ya I called the local MIDAS but the guy was a complete tool. He started flipping out asking were I got the parts and if I talked to anyone about them. w/e

Hit up the local Pep Boys and they said just drop it in and they'll call me when its done. I think the guy said it was going to be like $60. Resonable?
Very reasonable, I doubt you'll find another price close to that.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
RevNL
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Beware. Standard Pep Boys policy is to add 2.4 hours for a 4x4 brake job. This is to disassemble the front locking hubs and wheel bearings.

Which your WJ doesn't have/need!

But they'll try anyways!

Any shop should be able to look up the labor times in the book for "remove and replace front brake calipers". The time * the hourly rate should be what you pay - no more and no less. The time will cover the rotors and pads as well, since they all have to come off anyways. There is no guesswork. They can tell you exactly what it will cost ahead of time. Don't worry about how long it actually takes. An good mechanic will finish early. A less experienced one will take longer. You pay the same. That's "flat rate" billing.

I'd guess 1 to 1.5 hours.
RevNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Kota04SXT
2006 WK 

Shop will probably charge you for about 2 hours. Standard going rate here, is about $85 an hour. Most places, will also charge you for a "brake flush" or fluid change, due to bleeding the brakes for the new calipers. A lot of places (here, atleast) won't install aftermarket parts due to them not being able to warranty them. Last shop I worked at wouldnt let us install anything that wasnt bought from us. Good luck!
Kota04SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Well its not like its legit aftermarket. They are 02-04 OEM Jeep Akebono calipers, akebono ceramic pads and some rotor off tirerack.
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
EideWJ
2004 WJ 

Some shops will also charge you for brining in your own parts. So they don't loose their markup.
EideWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Redbob
2004 WJ 

$60 at Pep Boys is just about right: figure half an hour for doing what you describe in the front, and a leisurely half hour job for the rear pads, including driving it in and taking it back out.
I do my front pads in 20 minutes, and that's doing it down at the barn, with only basic air tools and a manual floor jack.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

It's such an easy job, why are you having a shop do it? It took me 2 hours to do the whole front including bleeding. The rear should only take ~30 mins or so. This is if you're by yourself, if you have an extra set of hand it should go by quicker.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Well, brake are something I really don't want to learn with by myself. I have a buddy thats willing to help but they need to be done before the weekend.

Plus, $60 and about an hours wait isnt bad at all. I'm also thinking about having them weld my muffler to the tail section.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:

super super easy

Unbolt put new calipers on put some CRC brakeQuiet on the pads bleed and your ready to go!
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.