How to identify sagging springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to identify sagging springs

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

How to identify sagging springs

Hi, I am getting ready to do a f>r swap with the iro benchmark kit. I was wondering if there is anyway to tell if my front springs have sagged any..say by measuring the height to the bumper or something like that. I would just buy new rear springs, except this needs to be done on a tight budget and since I kind of excluded the price of a rear trackbar when asking for permission from the wife (told her it would run ~450, when I'm planning on 700) I know another 125 or so for the springs would send me to the dog house permanently...

Unread 05-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Im not sure exactly but i remember someone on this forum saying if you measure from the middle of the rim up to the fender on the bottom then it should be 19 inchs
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Im not sure exactly but i remember someone on this forum saying if you measure from the middle of the rim up to the fender on the bottom then it should be 19 inchs
should be 18 from the center of the hub to the fender. if you're sagging just get a little spacer or a front stock spring isolator (.75")
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
should be 18 from the center of the hub to the fender. if you're sagging just get a little spacer or a front stock spring isolator (.75")

Cant be 18 can it ? Coulda sworn i measured mine and it was 19 on both Jeeps, and 18 3/4 in the rear of my 5.9 (suspect my springs in the rear might be saggin a tad)

I'll go measure them again but im pretty sure it was 19
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...ient=firefox-a
general consensus is its 18

ooh maybe you have upcountry!
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Wow, mine's kind of wonky! I just measured
Front Driver = 18"
Rear Driver = 19"
Front Pass = 18.5"
Rear Pass = 18.5"
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

Ok, so my fronts are ~17 1/8 which means they are sagging pretty good. I am assuming that a 3/4-7/8 inch sag in the front will be less than that when the springs are moved to the rear. Am I correct in this thinking? Would a 1 inch puck do the trick without a noticeable rake?
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Man, when talking about nonstock springs there is no prescribed formula, sometimes you just gotta install and see where it's at. Realistically anyone who gives you a formula for ride height is +/- an inch. You're asking for fender lip heights and nobody's even mentioned tire size yet.

Just plan on poly lift pucks or spring trimming if it's a problem, that's the safe bet.

Vehicles that "sit right" have two kinds of owners. They're either lucky, or they put it together and then pulled a pair of springs to make an adjustment. The aftermarket NEVER tells you this in the sales literature but it's reality.

good luck with the project.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.