How hard is an engine swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How hard is an engine swap?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-05-2002, 10:43 AM   #1
FutureZJOwner

How hard is an engine swap?

I've noticed that I-6 Grand Cherokees are alot of the time alot cheaper than the V8s. I am considering buying an I-6 when the time comes, and putting a V8 in it, say the 5.2 or the 5.9 if it is a ZJ, or the 4.7 or MAYBE the 5.9 in the WJ, if possible. How hard would it be to just buy another engine and make it work...is it bolt on, or would I need to buy an ECU, and a plethora of underhood and otherwise sensors? Need the knowledgable and the experienced about engine swaps here

Thanks for any help!!

Sean

FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Swaps are easy to do, if you have the right tools. The automatic tranny in the GC is the same as the one in the XJ 4.0. I have heard stories of people swapping in the 304ci, the 318 or the 360 into their Jeeps, and using the stock automatic tranny.

How hard is it? Well, if you want to continue using fuel-injection there are computer issues to look at (that's the biggest issue), the motor mounts shouldn't be too hard (call up the dealership and get stock V8 motor mounts) .. and then spend some time working out the procedures for the time required to do the swap. If things go well, you would be done in under a week ... if it doesn't go well, you could be lookin' at a year
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2002, 01:07 PM   #3
FutureZJOwner

Thanks!

Thanks alot NaeKid. Yes, I will use MPFI. IS a new ECU or a good used one that high? Also, besides the computer, are there any more electronic obstacles?
Unread 09-05-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Then in the case that you are going to be using a fuel injected engine, you should get the engine, all the wires related to the engine as well as the computer that came with the engine. Pull your engine, the wires and the computer and set it all off to one side.

Then you start hooking things back into your engine bay in the reverse of the big 8's removal proceedure ..

Some things that might become issues (depending on what year the engine comes out of, and what kind of vehicle it is) would be clutch/auto .. flywheel .. internal/external balance .. starter and such. Even a "drop in" engine doesn't mean that everything else would just drop in with it.

I don't want to turn you off on this type of change over .. but it could become a huge pile of work .. that might not be worth purchasin' the I6 and then changin' to V8. You could get the small V8 and then swap to the large one a little easier .. or skip on the fuel injection and do the carb'd engine swap then use the Holly-Projection to turn the engine into fuel-injected ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2002, 06:05 PM   #5
FutureZJOwner

Sorry, details added

NaeKid, the engine swap would STRICTLY BE on a Grand Cherokee, either ZJ or WJ. Sorry about not making that clear . Being that sometimes the WJ I-6 is significantly cheaper than the v-8, I was thinking that I could buy an I-6 and swap in the 4.7 or MAYBE the 5.9, and in the ZJ, finding a deal I couldn't pass up, swapping a 5.2 or 5.9 in there. Would this be hard, am I better off buying a V-8 to start?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.