How to fix stabilizer bar linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to fix stabilizer bar linkage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
picflight
1996 ZJ 

How to change Sway bar link

I think it is a stabilizer bar linkage that has come loose and hitting the spring.

Picture is take inside the right wheel well, front of the jeep is to the right.

Imageshack - img0583h.jpg
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 4x4. 180K

Every time I entered a driveway or drove into a gas station I would hear this horrible noise from the front-end. I had the steering box replaced about 3 months ago and this noise started happening about a couple of weeks after the steering box replacement. I have only driven about 200 miles since the steering box replacement.

Do you think that this came off because of the inept service technician?
It is worth taking it back to him, will they accept if it is their mistake?

How do I fix this if I have to do it? Anyone has detailed instructions?

[EDIT]
After some search I found that this part is called Sway bar Link

Last edited by picflight; 08-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Added more information
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

yea thats the swaybar end link. to tell the truth the dealer is gonna want about 75 apiece for the OEM ones, that one in the pic is dead beyond repair. your better off just ordering a set of JKS quicker disconnects, they are meant for off roading and crawling, but they would actually end up being cheaper than the OEM replacements. they are relatively easy to install

i doubt that came off due to the tech but its possible, i seriously doubt they would admit fault and fix it for free

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

super glue will fix that one. JK, buy the sway link and replace it, its easy. BTW, it came loose from wear and tear, nothing your mechanic did.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

alright i was close: called the dealer today and a swaybar end link for a 96 ZJ 5.2= $68.59 + tax. i would never replace a part like that as one, i would do it as a pair so thats $140, JKS QD's are $163 and much higher quality

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
picflight
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
alright i was close: called the dealer today and a swaybar end link for a 96 ZJ 5.2= $68.59 + tax. i would never replace a part like that as one, i would do it as a pair so thats $140, JKS QD's are $163 and much higher quality
Thanks for the help.

I have read these forums alot in the past couple of days and am somewhat encouraged to replace these myself, just have to make sure that I have the tools, torx bits and sort.

I will also replace the sway bar bushings while I am at it.

If anyone in the San Fernando Valley area of CA has done this replacement, has the space and time to do this for me, I would appreciate. PM me with your labor charge. Thanks
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
theuniversalist
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the middle of doing this myself...how far down should I tighten the bolts and compress the rubber? till I cant tighten them anymore? or less? should I put lock tite or something like that on the bolts?
theuniversalist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

spec is 45 ft lbs
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
theuniversalist
1995 XJ Cherokee 

on top and bottom?
theuniversalist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

bottom is 70 . Lock tite isn't really needed
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
LouC
2007 WK 

MOOG makes a nice grease-able one, I was going to change mine thinking they were causing a noise but it turned out to be the sway bar bracket bushings. When they go I'll just pop em on...
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

do you wheel your jeep?
if not i would just get factory replacements from napa or i think iro has some cheap ones
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
Dustmuffins
1995 ZJ 

I've broken both a front one and a rear one. Don't worry about it. It happens.
Dustmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.