How to fix a leaky axle seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to fix a leaky axle seal

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

How to fix a leaky axle seal

Is it a hard job, I am by no means a diff expert its my left front. I might add I did my universals a few months ago, I had it in a tranny shop to fix the cooler lines and they pointed that out could just a bit have leaked out I moniter it and I have never had to add fluid to it, however Its long overdue for a fluid change.

xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

need to remove the carrier to do it. not too hard, but you'll need a torque wrench and to come up with something tricky to drive the seals out and new ones in with. always replace those ones in pairs.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
tazz33
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Is it a hard job, I am by no means a diff expert its my left front. I might add I did my universals a few months ago, I had it in a tranny shop to fix the cooler lines and they pointed that out could just a bit have leaked out I moniter it and I have never had to add fluid to it, however Its long overdue for a fluid change.
Did u by chance do the ones at the wheels?
I did that on my old XJ and found that my diff was a small amount over filled and when I pulled the shaft out a bit leaked into the tube and leaked for a week or so. Was not much at all just looks like its more than it is as wattes washes it out of the alxe tube.
Just a thought?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #679[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

[CENTER][B]1998 niner!!!!! K&N, BFG All Terrains, MSD coil, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Superchips Programer, Kolak 3" tailpipe, Magnaflow highflow 3" Cat, MBRP 3" chambered muffler, MBRP 3"-3 1/2" dual wall stainless tip, and gonig to be more to come!!!!![/B]![/CENTER]
tazz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz33 View Post
Did u by chance do the ones at the wheels?
I did that on my old XJ and found that my diff was a small amount over filled and when I pulled the shaft out a bit leaked into the tube and leaked for a week or so. Was not much at all just looks like its more than it is as wattes washes it out of the alxe tube.
Just a thought?
HUH? at the wheels? when i did my universals there was no seal at the end of the tube and it is leaking because i scoped out where my usual park spots are(not hard to miss as the red stains stand out like a sore thumb) and i can see tiny black dots and also i checked my fluid in the front diff and it was low and it was not leaking before i did my universals.
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
My dad made a tool for pushing the new seals in. I wish I had a pic of it. Basically A short piece of allthread with short sections of tubing at each end. Then you thread out a couple of nuts and it pushes them in.

..I dunno if that makes sense but it worked well. Its not too hard of a job. Just be careful to not damage the new ones when you put em in.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I popped the old seals out with a broom stick. You could also use a piece of conduit or whatever. Stick it in the tube (like the axle) and you can catch the edge of the seal and knock it out.
There is room in the diff. housing to tap the new seals into place with a hammer. You'll need a very short piece of capped pipe to set the seal so you don't hit it directly with the hammer because you are driving it in from it's backside.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

where should i get the new axle seals from, just get the ones from the parts store or is there a better quality set i should be looking for.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

ok nevermind they are only 16$ each from mopar so i ordered up a set.
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

just wondering if i am replacing the front axle seals is there anything else i should replace that's not to major to do.
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
just wondering if i am replacing the front axle seals is there anything else i should replace that's not to major to do.
You will be pulling axles so look at your ujoints/cv's now would be a good time to replace them if needed

Build thread^^
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Check out your carrier bearings as well

Build thread^^
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

the carrier bearings are they the ones that go around the edge of the axle shaft, the pinion bearing is obviously behind the pinion right. If so are they an easily replaceable item because i am no diff expert and i definitely do not want to screw anything up.
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

The carrier is what the ring gear is attached to and what houses your spiders. At each end of the carrier you will have bearings. They take some elbow grease to get them off but its not too hard. Youll need a press or a vise to press the new ones on. DONT HIT THEM ON WITH A HAMMER

Build thread^^
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

By replacing the carrier bearing will there be any type of backlash to deal with I was asking around and was told it might be to troublesome, there is a low pitched hum in 4 wd only from the front.
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

All my bearings have come out well. Make sure you put any spacers you might have back on the right side.

Build thread^^

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.