How f'ed is my D44a rear axle? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How f'ed is my D44a rear axle?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
I guess I'm guilty of assuming then. When I see a 6 inch lift in someone's signature I assume that they do a fair bit of wheeling.

It will be interesting to see if I have a different experience with the D44a than you did. Your setup is far from a stock configuration. You may DD it, but it's not set up like most DDs.

My niner sits at stock height and always will. It's rolling on BFG Long Trail tires (basically a street tread all season tire) in the stock 225 size. Brand new Bilsteins all around. Original 249 transfer case with brand new VC. The only "mod" on the engine will be the plenum repair I have planned for a few weeks from now.

My expectations for this vehicle is that it will occasionally commute me to work on days to knurly for my motorcycle, occasion long interstate trips to see family, possible snow when I visit family, and occasional towing. Towing will mostly be the motorcycle trailer, the utility trailer with yard project stuff, very rarely a tow dolly with a project car.

We'll see how it holds up.

You should cut the runners and trim the injector bosses when you have the intake off for the plenum repair. I thought about doing that but I was too lazy but now I wish I had.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
I guess I'm guilty of assuming then. When I see a 6 inch lift in someone's signature I assume that they do a fair bit of wheeling.

It will be interesting to see if I have a different experience with the D44a than you did. Your setup is far from a stock configuration. You may DD it, but it's not set up like most DDs.

My niner sits at stock height and always will. It's rolling on BFG Long Trail tires (basically a street tread all season tire) in the stock 225 size. Brand new Bilsteins all around. Original 249 transfer case with brand new VC. The only "mod" on the engine will be the plenum repair I have planned for a few weeks from now.

My expectations for this vehicle is that it will occasionally commute me to work on days to knurly for my motorcycle, occasion long interstate trips to see family, possible snow when I visit family, and occasional towing. Towing will mostly be the motorcycle trailer, the utility trailer with yard project stuff, very rarely a tow dolly with a project car.

We'll see how it holds up.
I'm curious how yours will hold up actually. I guess I'm getting my moms stock 5.9 from what I understand. I know that 44A is noisy, and its getting a 242 swap. I'm debating new bearings in that axle & seeing how they hold up. They are the same carrier bearings 8.8's use believe it or not.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #33
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
I'm curious how yours will hold up actually. I guess I'm getting my moms stock 5.9 from what I understand. I know that 44A is noisy, and its getting a 242 swap. I'm debating new bearings in that axle & seeing how they hold up. They are the same carrier bearings 8.8's use believe it or not.
The carrier bearings aren't the problem on a 44a.....the aluminum housing is.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
The carrier bearings aren't the problem on a 44a.....the aluminum housing is.
Have you not read this thread at all? I was trashing swapped in 44A's under gen 1 ZJ's when WJ's were still in production.
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #35
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Have you not read this thread at all? I was trashing swapped in 44A's under gen 1 ZJ's when WJ's were still in production.
The aluminum housing allows the races to spin in the caps....the housing is why they fail
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
The aluminum housing allows the races to spin in the caps....the housing is why they fail
Uhhhh yeah....tell us something that leftfield6 & I did not cover already on the first 2 pages.
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm debating new bearings in that axle & seeing how they hold up. They are the same carrier bearings 8.8's use believe it or not.
And maybe you should read your own damn posts ^^^
You compare the 8.8 to the 44a bearing and I say the housing is the problem not the bearings and you get pissy. Change your tampon.
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
Taz360ZJ

I haven't had the covers off...let alone the carrier out of the white 5.9 yet since she bought it 3 years ago. They live an hour & a half one way, not driving all that way just to see if the races spun in the housing like my 44A's have. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been rebuilt yet, its bone stock and the last 2 owners were women, it hasn't been used to tow anything. My mom ain't that hard on drive line parts.

If the races haven't spun....I'll slap bearings in it & drive it & hopefully it will last long enough to long arm & 5 speed my slate 5.9. If they have....8.8 will be going under it.

Quote:
You compare the 8.8 to the 44a bearing and I say the housing is the problem not the bearings
Same carrier bearings bro.

Its expensive enough dd'ing a large thirsty ZJ, let alone taking on another 5.9 that needs maint first. Yes I know the alum housing is junk..I just hope THIS one isn't trashed yet to last a little longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.