How f'ed is my D44a rear axle? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How f'ed is my D44a rear axle?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Yea you are going to think you are in a Cady how quiet it's gonna be without the axle noise.
Yeah, looking forward to it. I think the only noise I have left to track down is a bad shock in the front end.

I'm paying $1100 for a reputable shop that specializes in old school Jeeps to do all the bearings and the Trak-Loc rebuild. I know I might be able to find a cheaper price, but I don't mind paying for experience. Me wants my running gear to be done right.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Taz360ZJ

Swap an 8.8 in it, problems solved.

Mine was so bad, the clutches were groaning & binding, the carrier bearings were screaming. It had .075" side to side play, and I could pull the carrier out .045" by hand.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
Swap an 8.8 in it, problems solved.

Mine was so bad, the clutches were groaning & binding, the carrier bearings were screaming. It had .075" side to side play, and I could pull the carrier out .045" by hand.
Yeah, I know that's the solution that I've read in multiple threads. Here's the thing. I don't have the experience to do that myself. Paying a shop to do it would be just as costly as repairing what I have. In addition, i don't have the time or resources to go scrounging a JY to find one.

For what I bought the ZJ for, is there really any advantage to an 8.8 swap? 99.5% on road is what I need it for. Towing, winter driving, etc. I have near zero interest in off-roading.

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I don't mind paying word great work. Word of mouth is the best.

There is no advantage if you never off road besides the cheapness and availability of parts. If your axle is in good shape then it should out last the truck after this rebuild. If you wheeled it pretty good I would say truss then if you went beyond that then 8.8.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Upon closer examination, the shop said one of my axle shafts had some scoring they weren't comfortable with. They happened to have a spare axle they could get their hands on, so they pulled a perfect condition used shaft out to use. Not charging me any extra for it. Should be ready tomorrow.

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Yeah, I know that's the solution that I've read in multiple threads. Here's the thing. I don't have the experience to do that myself. Paying a shop to do it would be just as costly as repairing what I have. In addition, i don't have the time or resources to go scrounging a JY to find one.

For what I bought the ZJ for, is there really any advantage to an 8.8 swap? 99.5% on road is what I need it for. Towing, winter driving, etc. I have near zero interest in off-roading.
Im not a welder either. I stripped & cleaned up the axle myself, bought the truss, had a friend weld it up, had a friend shoot it with bed liner at his paint booth, I assembled the brakes, lines, bearings myself.

My 5.9 doesn't even go off road, I have no time or interest. It tows once in a blue moon, and I DD it. I'm just tired of breaking the ****ty Dana axles
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #22
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

How common is breaking axles in day to day usage? Hard acceleration? Drag strip starts?

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
How common is breaking axles in day to day usage? Hard acceleration? Drag strip starts?
Not common with the d44a. The shafts themselves are pretty thick and the ring gear is comparable to a D 60. Possible with D35c but I beat the crap out of mine with 33's and it took the abuse. They put the 44a behind Vettes and Vipers.
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Axle shafts? Not so much, the aluminum housing expanding from heat, causing the races to spin between the bearing caps & housing, spalling the bearings, carrier deflecting at an angle enough that it causes the axle shafts themselves to not run true in the axle bearings......trashing the axle bearings & the bearing surface on the shafts......trashing the entire axle.....yes....that's a broken axle. I've trashed two of those Pos's now. Races spinning in the housing is nothing new either. I'm glad you are brave enough to want to rebuild yours, I wouldn't run another Dana rear if my life depended on it.
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Axle shafts? Not so much, the aluminum housing expanding from heat, causing the races to spin between the bearing caps & housing, spalling the bearings, carrier deflecting at an angle enough that it causes the axle shafts themselves to not run true in the axle bearings......trashing the axle bearings & the bearing surface on the shafts......trashing the entire axle.....yes....that's a broken axle. I've trashed two of those Pos's now. Races spinning in the housing is nothing new either. I'm glad you are brave enough to want to rebuild yours, I wouldn't run another Dana rear if my life depended on it.
I guess you are unlucky. The first one lasted 125 ish this rebuild has been great so far over a year. I am curious did you have a truss on yours? Were you running big tires like what you have now? The biggest tire mine has seen is a 245/75. On my 95 5.2 with headers, mopar chip, intake and 3" pipe I ran 33's. I hammered that pedal too. On the street and off road.

I understand they are two different axles but I have not heard of anyone destroying so many. Just because you broke a bunch of axles doesn't tell us a lot except that something was wrong.
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:

Yeah, see, I think my ZJ and yours are probably going to live very different lives. YOU probably need the 8.8. My ZJ has 225K on it, and will spend the rest of the time I own it doing daily driver stuff, not off-roading. It will never have a lift. It will not have 33s or 38s or any other oversize tires.

I suspect my axle will be just fine.

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I guess you are unlucky. The first one lasted 125 ish this rebuild has been great so far over a year. I am curious did you have a truss on yours? Were you running big tires like what you have now? The biggest tire mine has seen is a 245/75. On my 95 5.2 with headers, mopar chip, intake and 3" pipe I ran 33's. I hammered that pedal too. On the street and off road.

I understand they are two different axles but I have not heard of anyone destroying so many. Just because you broke a bunch of axles doesn't tell us a lot except that something was wrong.
The 5.9 had 115K on it & I don't think there is a truss for the 44A? At any rate the axle got noosier and noisier over the first year I had it. I put 245's on it, never wheeled it. Put 285's on it 2 years later. 242 swap, then 231 swap. The deflection got so bad it scraped up & took out the LR abs sensor.....in stock form.

On my '93 V8, the D35 died 10,000 miles after the 231 swap. Put a rebuilt 44A under it. Ran 31's on it, then the first set of 33" Destination MT's on it in Phx area. Wheeled it in AZ a few times, mainly drove it. Ran one GSSW with it. Nothing hard core. Moved to MN with it, think I hit mud once or twice with it, found a couple construction site rock piles with it. Drove it to college mainly. Still.....it got trashed. stock 5.2 with 280K on it, HD46RH w shift kit.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Yeah, see, I think my ZJ and yours are probably going to live very different lives. YOU probably need the 8.8. My ZJ has 225K on it, and will spend the rest of the time I own it doing daily driver stuff, not off-roading. It will never have a lift. It will not have 33s or 38s or any other oversize tires.

I suspect my axle will be just fine.
You sure about that? Since I put that 8.8 under it in Jan, I pulled a trailer with it for 100 miles, still have yet to get it off road, and I probably will not this year. I DD it, just like I have for 3.5 years now. Truss is on it since it was a good price, 285's I got at cost, and the lift I got for free pretty much. Next step is 7.5" and long arms. Still probably won't get wheeled, I don't have the time or interest in my schedule.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Nope don't have those problems with mine. Neither did my buddy with 33 MTR's. We have both wheel ours. Don't know what to tell you. Maybe crappy rebuilds.
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #30
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

I guess I'm guilty of assuming then. When I see a 6 inch lift in someone's signature I assume that they do a fair bit of wheeling.

It will be interesting to see if I have a different experience with the D44a than you did. Your setup is far from a stock configuration. You may DD it, but it's not set up like most DDs.

My niner sits at stock height and always will. It's rolling on BFG Long Trail tires (basically a street tread all season tire) in the stock 225 size. Brand new Bilsteins all around. Original 249 transfer case with brand new VC. The only "mod" on the engine will be the plenum repair I have planned for a few weeks from now.

My expectations for this vehicle is that it will occasionally commute me to work on days to knurly for my motorcycle, occasion long interstate trips to see family, possible snow when I visit family, and occasional towing. Towing will mostly be the motorcycle trailer, the utility trailer with yard project stuff, very rarely a tow dolly with a project car.

We'll see how it holds up.

77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.