How far can you drive without a serpentine belt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How far can you drive without a serpentine belt?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
SPL Tech

How far can you drive without a serpentine belt?

I know this is a dumb question but I am asking it. Can you drive 1.7 miles on a flat surface without a serpentine belt on a 1994 ZJ with the 4.0L if the engine is cool from the start? Will the engine over heat that fast being that there is no coolant pump or fan running? Also do you have oil pressure if you have no belt?

SPL Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

I'm gonna go with....no. Where are you trying to go and why don't you just replace the belt where it is now?

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
SPL Tech

The belt is fine. The thing is I am stripeing down my Jeep. I need the two aftermarket alternators in the Jeep. The problem is they take a long time to take out and I dont want to do it in the -10 degree cold. So my shop is 1.7 miles from my house. Well the Jeep is not going to be driven untill summer so I dont need to put a new belt on tell summer. It would make things 10x easier if I could just drive it home without a belt because I dont have a AC compressor anymore and thus I have to pretty much randomly guess as to the new belt size and that will take many trips back and fourth to the automotive parts store. But if it cant be done I will just pull the alts at home I guess then.
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Suck it up and walk there

Just kidding... you don't know anyone who you can get a ride off of?

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
JeepZJ94
1994 ZJ 

Well it might be possible. I did this with a friends xj. The motor was already blown and the belt was gone. But other than the harder than hell steering and some other minor difficulties it was done. It was dark out too and couldn't use the lights because it would drain the battery to quick.

1994 Jeep ZJ. 5.2L Engine, 3.5" Lift. 15x7 Steel Wheels w/BFG AT's, Push bar with 6" lights. Factory tow package. Bigger tires to come and much more.
RnR 4x4 Club
JeepZJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Steering will be difficult...overheating may be possible if it gets much above 10 deg I bet...battery will be drained pretty quickly...
Unread 01-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
camjamsdad

I drove about 4 miles without mine a couple weeks ago. The AC idler pulley locked up and broke the belt. So I pulled over let it cool down (at Taco Bell) then fired it back up. Pulled out on the road, got up to speed, shut it off, coasted to the red light, repeated till I got home. I live in Florida and it wasn't -10. Just keep a close watch on the temp gauge.
camjamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
SPL Tech

Well does the oil pump still run? I was not sure of the water pump pully also ran the oil pump. Because without oil the thing wouldent last 3 min.
Unread 01-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
sgarlic

Oil pump is not driven off a belt. Its driven off a gear.

You'll overheat within a minute or so without the water pump spinning.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Of course you can make it. Just be smart about it. Watch your temp gage. Stop the engine if necessary. Dress warm! Have a friend follow you!!!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #11
Turbonut

I agree with Steve, no problem as you'll only be driving maybe 2 minutes most. If it's dark and battery is good, you'll have lights also for that time, but as they have said, no power steering.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2007, 05:28 AM   #12
Katesdad

Piece of cake ...like these guys said just watch the temp gauge. Gets hot shut it down til it cools ...have someone follow with a warm car
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #13
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Oops forgot about the PS. Yea I having me jeep a short distance without the PS. It is a huge choir to make turns at low speeds! I would call it dangerous. Thanks for pointing that out Turbonut.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

oh this is definately possible. i was coming home one morning at 4:30 in the am in my mustang hatch 5.0 and the belt broke. I didn't know at first and went to turn a corner and the steering was out of control, and the alt light came on. Looked down at the temp and it was slowly starting to climb. Sure enough no belt and about 4 miles from the house! I let the car cool down to a cooler degree, then drove home without a problem.
98zjdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarlic
Oil pump is not driven off a belt. Its driven off a gear.

You'll overheat within a minute or so without the water pump spinning.
That's a little exagerated. My dad lost the belt on his old F150 and drove it for another 10 min to the nearest exit off the highway without overheating it.....and it was already up to temp.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.