How f'ed is my D44a rear axle? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 20,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
I guess I'm guilty of assuming then. When I see a 6 inch lift in someone's signature I assume that they do a fair bit of wheeling.

It will be interesting to see if I have a different experience with the D44a than you did. Your setup is far from a stock configuration. You may DD it, but it's not set up like most DDs.

My niner sits at stock height and always will. It's rolling on BFG Long Trail tires (basically a street tread all season tire) in the stock 225 size. Brand new Bilsteins all around. Original 249 transfer case with brand new VC. The only "mod" on the engine will be the plenum repair I have planned for a few weeks from now.

My expectations for this vehicle is that it will occasionally commute me to work on days to knurly for my motorcycle, occasion long interstate trips to see family, possible snow when I visit family, and occasional towing. Towing will mostly be the motorcycle trailer, the utility trailer with yard project stuff, very rarely a tow dolly with a project car.

We'll see how it holds up.

You should cut the runners and trim the injector bosses when you have the intake off for the plenum repair. I thought about doing that but I was too lazy but now I wish I had.

PolkaPower is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Taz360ZJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
I guess I'm guilty of assuming then. When I see a 6 inch lift in someone's signature I assume that they do a fair bit of wheeling.

It will be interesting to see if I have a different experience with the D44a than you did. Your setup is far from a stock configuration. You may DD it, but it's not set up like most DDs.

My niner sits at stock height and always will. It's rolling on BFG Long Trail tires (basically a street tread all season tire) in the stock 225 size. Brand new Bilsteins all around. Original 249 transfer case with brand new VC. The only "mod" on the engine will be the plenum repair I have planned for a few weeks from now.

My expectations for this vehicle is that it will occasionally commute me to work on days to knurly for my motorcycle, occasion long interstate trips to see family, possible snow when I visit family, and occasional towing. Towing will mostly be the motorcycle trailer, the utility trailer with yard project stuff, very rarely a tow dolly with a project car.

We'll see how it holds up.
I'm curious how yours will hold up actually. I guess I'm getting my moms stock 5.9 from what I understand. I know that 44A is noisy, and its getting a 242 swap. I'm debating new bearings in that axle & seeing how they hold up. They are the same carrier bearings 8.8's use believe it or not.

'94 ZJ Limited 4.0, BB, 31's, the rust free California transplant.
Taz360ZJ is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
I'm curious how yours will hold up actually. I guess I'm getting my moms stock 5.9 from what I understand. I know that 44A is noisy, and its getting a 242 swap. I'm debating new bearings in that axle & seeing how they hold up. They are the same carrier bearings 8.8's use believe it or not.
The carrier bearings aren't the problem on a 44a.....the aluminum housing is.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline  
 
post #34 of 38 Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Taz360ZJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
The carrier bearings aren't the problem on a 44a.....the aluminum housing is.
Have you not read this thread at all? I was trashing swapped in 44A's under gen 1 ZJ's when WJ's were still in production.

'94 ZJ Limited 4.0, BB, 31's, the rust free California transplant.
Taz360ZJ is offline  
post #35 of 38 Old 07-04-2013, 03:48 AM
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
Have you not read this thread at all? I was trashing swapped in 44A's under gen 1 ZJ's when WJ's were still in production.
The aluminum housing allows the races to spin in the caps....the housing is why they fail


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Taz360ZJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
The aluminum housing allows the races to spin in the caps....the housing is why they fail
Uhhhh yeah....tell us something that leftfield6 & I did not cover already on the first 2 pages.

'94 ZJ Limited 4.0, BB, 31's, the rust free California transplant.
Taz360ZJ is offline  
post #37 of 38 Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
I'm debating new bearings in that axle & seeing how they hold up. They are the same carrier bearings 8.8's use believe it or not.
And maybe you should read your own damn posts ^^^
You compare the 8.8 to the 44a bearing and I say the housing is the problem not the bearings and you get pissy. Change your tampon.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Taz360ZJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 843
I haven't had the covers off...let alone the carrier out of the white 5.9 yet since she bought it 3 years ago. They live an hour & a half one way, not driving all that way just to see if the races spun in the housing like my 44A's have. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been rebuilt yet, its bone stock and the last 2 owners were women, it hasn't been used to tow anything. My mom ain't that hard on drive line parts.

If the races haven't spun....I'll slap bearings in it & drive it & hopefully it will last long enough to long arm & 5 speed my slate 5.9. If they have....8.8 will be going under it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
You compare the 8.8 to the 44a bearing and I say the housing is the problem not the bearings
Same carrier bearings bro.

Its expensive enough dd'ing a large thirsty ZJ, let alone taking on another 5.9 that needs maint first. Yes I know the alum housing is junk..I just hope THIS one isn't trashed yet to last a little longer.

'94 ZJ Limited 4.0, BB, 31's, the rust free California transplant.
Taz360ZJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome