How is everyone??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How is everyone???

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86vw
The Touareg comes with the same calipers I think, so I'll take a look at them at work. They were the same brakes as the Cayanne, minus the Porsche lettering, someone traded one in on a Touareg, possibly the same as a GT3 caliper??

Actually, the Cayenne doesn't have the same brakes as the GT3. The GT3 brakes are identical to the GT2 brakes minus the ceramic rotor disc, but still with the 2-piece rotor. With that setup, I can just get a rotor hat from Brembo (produces all the brakes for Porsche) with my lug pattern. I will have 17" wheels (Fondmetal 9x) by the time I go with that setup anyway, so clearance and offset won't be a problem.

Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #17
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
Actually, the Cayenne doesn't have the same brakes as the GT3. The GT3 brakes are identical to the GT2 brakes minus the ceramic rotor disc, but still with the 2-piece rotor. With that setup, I can just get a rotor hat from Brembo (produces all the brakes for Porsche) with my lug pattern. I will have 17" wheels (Fondmetal 9x) by the time I go with that setup anyway, so clearance and offset won't be a problem.
I just checked the NA Porsche site and it made no mention of the GT3 rotors being two piece, nor did it show them as being 2 piece in the picture. Also the hat appeared to be small, havent' taken a look at the jeep hubs but that could play a factor. If bigger brakes are needed I would really just go with the Brembo GT series stuff. I installed a set 14" set on our shop S4, very nice brakes. Getting brembo to do something custom would probably prove to be difficult since they are trying to get their own line off he ground and not having an easy time, and since they have their own kit already probably would push that. You may want to look into other US rotor manufactures for the hat if you went that route. The owner of one of our demo S4s had some stock sized 2 piece rotors made, cut the weight in half, forget who made them for him though.

Its a shame stoptech doesnt' make a setup though. Theire caliper is much stiffer then brembos with their bridge and they also match piston size to the stock MC, so pedal feel remains entirely stock. One of my last jobs before leaving that shop was a full 4 wheel kit on one of S4s I built. Unfortunately it was dizzling when I finished so I couldn't test them full but they were very nice
Unread 08-12-2003, 11:58 PM   #18
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86vw
I just checked the NA Porsche site and it made no mention of the GT3 rotors being two piece, nor did it show them as being 2 piece in the picture.

Porsche GT3 brakes -

You probably won't find information like brake characteristics on the Porsche NA site. I had to go through pcnasource.com (dealer-only Porsche site) to find that picture of the brakes.

I don't see why I wouldn't be able to get a different rotor hat to fit the Jeep. Brembo manufactures all of Porsche's braking systems, so it wouldn't be any money out of their pocket...would actually give them more money since I would have to purchase the initial GT3 rotors, and then buy the additional rotor hats.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 05:50 PM   #19
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
Porsche GT3 brakes -

You probably won't find information like brake characteristics on the Porsche NA site. I had to go through pcnasource.com (dealer-only Porsche site) to find that picture of the brakes.

I don't see why I wouldn't be able to get a different rotor hat to fit the Jeep. Brembo manufactures all of Porsche's braking systems, so it wouldn't be any money out of their pocket...would actually give them more money since I would have to purchase the initial GT3 rotors, and then buy the additional rotor hats.

UM not to be a pain but thats not the caliper you are referring to either, thats the regular 4 piston monoblock, you can tell by how the pad sits, its length, and that lack of outline of the 5/6 piston. Also if you notice the tower for the locking pin is almost flush, it is not sticking up like on the 6 piston caliper to clear the extra middle pistons.

Looking at the Porsche NA site again, when you select safety for the GT3 it shows a 6 piston caliper with a fixed rotor. When you select PCCB for either the GT2 or GT3 is then shows a 2 piece rotor with the 6 piston caliper.

All I meant really with brembo is they are not into making one off things for anyone off the street, not even for their own dealers for that matter. They do not manufacture anyting in the US last I checked which would also play a huge roll. And lastly they have a product that you are looking for other then the fact that it doesnt' say porsche on it, you wont' have to design or manufacture adapters, this is no fun I have worked on this project for my jetta.

By all means I say go for it, but even with a discount on teh calipers you are probably gonna end up spending the same amount as the off the shelf kit that brembo has with many many hours of design and fabrication on top of that for the same or worse even braking since the calipers were not meant to work with your master cylinder.
Unread 08-22-2003, 08:34 PM   #20
2000GCLaredo

hey guys, picked up the jeep like a week ago, and damn, it's only a I6, but that thing hauls. I would love to see what the V8 can do. anyways, it's a tight car, and i feel unstopable in it. I was picking up my brother from soccer practice with my mom, and i was reversing, there was a ditch, and she's like, slow down, you'll get stuck, and i'm there tellin her, please, i'm in a powerful SUV. Ya, i got out of there with no problem what-so-ever. It was awesome. I'll talk to yall later.

And officially, i hate the brakes, you have to hit them so hard for the car to stop. i feel like i'm going to run red lights with this thing, cause it doesn't stop too well.
Unread 08-28-2003, 02:54 PM   #21
2000GCLaredo

ok, well, the jeep is an amazing car with a lot more power then i had expected from an I6 2WD. anyways, one question for everyone, is the ride in the jeep supposed to be bumpy? i mean, i've been in a Wrangler, and that's really bumpy, but the Grand Cherokee i didn't expect to have that rough of a ride. I got 20 over speed bumps on the side streets, and it feels like i'm airborn. That's all i wanted to know, other then that, i love this car, a lot of fun to drive. People were also telling me that it's really loud inside, but i don't find it to be that loud. They say the 99 + don't have as loud of engines. anyways, thanks.
Wesley
One more thing, why is there no rear air? If i have people in the back, i have to turn the air all the way up so they get some, was jeep smoking something when they built the Grand Cherokee?

Last edited by 2000GCLaredo; 08-28-2003 at 03:11 PM..
2000GCLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #22
2000GCLaredo

anyone know the answer to any of these???

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.