How is everyone??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How is everyone???

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-07-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
2000GCLaredo

How is everyone???

Hey everyone, i just sold my honda del sol, for a jeep grand cherokee laredo. the honda was a 1994 del sol, and the jeep is a 2001. I've got the I6, and i just wanted to know, what do you guys think, is there enough juice to run the huge grand cherokee with a good amount of power?? also, do you guys think that was for me, a change for better or for worse? i think it's for better, because my del sol was a little small for my first car. anyways, that's it for my first post as a jeep owner,
thanks everyone,
Wesley

Unread 08-07-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Wesley,

is the Grand a 00 or 01? The thread says 01 and the sig says 00.

Take some time to read through the posts and some time to read through www.nagca.com and www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums.

Lots of info and pics for you.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
2000GCLaredo

sorry, it's a 2000. thanks for the sites hunter. so, what do yall say, are you happy with your jeeps?? i heard that the jeep grand cherokee's brake's aren't that good. have any of you experienced that??
Thanks for the help
Wesley
Unread 08-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
imnotu

i have an 95 I6... she's my baby and been the best thing i've ever purchased. reliable like all hell, and is enough for me now (my next will be an 8... you know, when i have a real job and all )

--luke
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL=Http://zbt.case.edu/myjeep.jpg][COLOR=White][B]White 1995 ZJ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] I6 w/ Selec-Trac, Plush Leather Seats (powered in front), JVC MP3 deck [B](STOLEN)[/B], [URL="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8HSG1sJ380J/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=113KDCX889"]New Kenwood KDC-X889 Deck[/URL] (Insurance messed up and gave me this instead), [url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nZpmrQWOhBc/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=130TSA1680&search=Pioneer+TSA1680R]Pioneer TS-A1680R Speakers[/url], Remote Start, Optima Red Top, 180 Thermostat, Kolak Performance 2.5" exhaust components: (Car Sound high flow converter, Magnaflow large case muffler, mandrel bent tailpipe), 16x8 Rubicon Rims with 245/70 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo Tires, Rancho SS, Mopar Skids all around, Tow hooks front and back, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks and Clear Corners. [B]149/B], and still going stro... OK My transfer case can a small leak... damnit!.

[URL=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=imnotu001@hotmail.com&item_name=Donations%20for%20a%20Poor%20Kid]Donations are Appreciated[/URL]
[/FONT]
imnotu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2003, 05:52 AM   #5
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GCLaredo
so, what do yall say, are you happy with your jeeps?? i heard that the jeep grand cherokee's brake's aren't that good. have any of you experienced that??

I also have a 2000 WJ with the 4.Slow Inline, but I have the Limited package. That engine is definately underpowered. Things to do to give you some bump and not lose your warranty - Cold-air intake, take off that 26" long muffler and install a free-flow cat and different exhaust, and get a reprogram chip from Jet Performance (they are the only company to make one for the WJ). If your warranty is expired already, Vortech makes a 6-lb boost supercharger for the inline-6.

Yes the brakes SUCK. I'll be doing a brake job on mine next week and replacing the rotors with Power-slots and Akebono ceramic compound pads. Brembo makes a 332mm 4-pot Big brake kit for it, but you will have to put at least 17" wheels on it and the kit is around $2,800 for just the fronts...no rear kit is made that I'm aware of.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
2000GCLaredo

Ok, well, that's all i wanted to know, thank you all. You guys are a lot cooler than Honda-tech.com they'd call me a n00b and stuff like that. thanks for taking care of my question, and if there is anything else you'd care to tell me, please do, too much knowledge is not a good thing...
Wesley
Unread 08-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Milous has put together a wonderful site answering just about any general question you may have on the WJ. If you don't find it on the site, email him and 9 times out of 10, he'll be able to help you out. Is a really helpful person. His site is http://www.wjjeeps.com/index.htm

Tenafly Chrysler is a good place to buy those general parts that you can only get from the dealership (the hood and rear glass shocks are a good example), but don't want to pay dealer prices. All parts are wholesale, or damn near close to it. They can be found here - http://www.tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com/

If you need anything else, I've compiled a pretty large WJ site database since i bought my 2000. drop an email.
Unread 08-10-2003, 04:49 AM   #8
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
Yes the brakes SUCK. I'll be doing a brake job on mine next week and replacing the rotors with Power-slots and Akebono ceramic compound pads. Brembo makes a 332mm 4-pot Big brake kit for it, but you will have to put at least 17" wheels on it and the kit is around $2,800 for just the fronts...no rear kit is made that I'm aware of.
Thats really not needed on these trucks in my opinion. I come from the VERY high peformance audi/VW world (worked on the fastest S4 in the country). These things stop damn good for what they are. My jetta is pushing 250hp to the front wheels with 12 inch brakes at just about 3K lbs with me in it. For 800lbs more and smaller brakes my GC hauls down even in all the rain we have had in NJ for the last week now.
Unread 08-10-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

but you must remember that the 99+ brakes are not the same as on your 94'. If I remember correctly, they are taken from the Dodge Durango. The brakes on the 2000's really do suck. Mine shudder and lose grip under heavy braking conditions...and I'm not talking about ABS slippage...they really do break loose...at some points, it feels as if the entire brake assembly is going to come apart. I agree that the 332mm Big brake kit is not necessary, but what is on there from the factory is not even adequate in the slightest.

I also come from a long line of high performance automobiles. Along with the Jeep, I also have an 85' Porsche 928S Euro with racing cam, B&B headers and exhaust and soon to be supercharged, and a 1966' Mercury Cyclone GT outfitted with a 429cu.in. set to run straight track. (low 11's at current with left bank needing to be rebuilt).

I deal in Porsche's all day long and have had more than average track time in various RSR's, RS's, turbo s', 930's, etc.

Even under normal driving conditions, the stock braking system is sub-par.
Unread 08-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #10
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ah didnt' know that they changed them, just started this whole jeep thing. We're getting alot of trucks in on trades for Touraregs, if I see a 99+ in I'll take a look, I am curious now.

Have you tried different pads, possible they are too soft for the braking you are doing and leaving deposits on the rotors when they heat up?? I get this on my jetta when out for some hard runs thats even with 12.1s on the front of that car but lowly mintex red box pads.

you may be interested in this car, 87 (I think not sure on the year) 928S. Glass 944 turbo relica nose made to fit stock 944 turbo front fenders, and 944 gts or r or somethign like that rear fenders. 944 front and rear brakes control arms etc. Getting a fully built twin turbo 944 motor. Owned by the fabricator at the shop I used to work at, name is Kenny McNeil, cant' wait till its all done

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gall.../DSC00798.html
Unread 08-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #11
2000GCLaredo

Ok, so the brakes do suck. what do yall say i should do about it, cause all i need, is to hit the person in front of me in heavy braking conditions. would changing the pads do anything, or does the whole braking system suck. thanks guys, i'm glad i'm out of honda-tech.com, cause yall treat me a lot better. they were always acting like stuck up idiots. anyways, once again, what do yall think i should do??
Wesley
Unread 08-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86vw
Thats really not needed on these trucks in my opinion. I come from the VERY high peformance audi/VW world (worked on the fastest S4 in the country). These things stop damn good for what they are. My jetta is pushing 250hp to the front wheels with 12 inch brakes at just about 3K lbs with me in it. For 800lbs more and smaller brakes my GC hauls down even in all the rain we have had in NJ for the last week now.
wanna buy my stage 2 S4? it is for sale to buy another jeep. 2000 brilliant black, fully loaded with Giac ECU and Borla exhaust.
Unread 08-11-2003, 04:06 PM   #13
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage
wanna buy my stage 2 S4? it is for sale to buy another jeep. 2000 brilliant black, fully loaded with Giac ECU and Borla exhaust.

Nah, don't want a black one and I dont' need the exhaust or chip I can get both at cost still, I used to do the GIAC installs where I worked.

As for brakes I'll look into it sometime this week. I gotta head down to the shop I Was working at to dyno my jetta I'll check out pad options in the catalogs we have there.

What exactly are the brake issues people are having on the later models?? Fade, bad hot braking, bad cold braking, intial bite problems.

We got another GC in over the weekend, but it was an ealier (maybe 96 ish) limited so I am assuming from what people are sayng the brakes are the same as my 94 right?? I'll keep my eye out for a later one, luckily this one has a hitch and hopefully they will let me take it.
Unread 08-11-2003, 07:01 PM   #14
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

i really don't know what to advise. Like I said, I'll be changing out my rotors and pads this month sometime. If that doesn't improve it significantly, I'll be seeing about retrofitting 996 GT3 6-pot calipers to my Jeep (only because I can get them for cost). I'll let you know if they rotor/pad upgrade does anything for brake performance.

Buddha
Unread 08-11-2003, 07:10 PM   #15
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does the ABS control the bias on these things, is it fixed, axle height dependent??

If its either of the later then those are gonna throw the bias way off not to mention probably kill modulation, thats like 4Xs he piston area not something you can just swap to without running into master cylinder/bias issues. Havent' dealt with any of the 6 pots but I know with the boxster calipers and similar you need at least a large 16" or 17" wheel, with a crazy offset. I have done a bunch of big brake swaps onto audis and it was always a nitemare trying to get the right wheels to fit, they were all similar ni dimesions to what those GT3 brakes would be, rotor surface to outer face of the caliper.

The Touareg comes with the same calipers I think, so I'll take a look at them at work. They were the same brakes as the Cayanne, minus the Porsche lettering, someone traded one in on a Touareg, possibly the same as a GT3 caliper??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.