How do you know if your power steering pump is speed portional steering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do you know if your power steering pump is speed portional steering?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
sweetie

How do you know if your power steering pump is speed portional steering?

Hello all my problem is my power steering pump has went out and when I went to get a new one,the guy asks if its speed propional steering or not.He said you had to call the dealership to find out but the two places I tried have both closed down!I have a 97 grand jeep cherokee laredo.Im hoping somebody can give me some info.Thanks.

sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

The speed pro will have two wires (i think two) going to the actual pump. Can't miss them.

Last edited by Virmagicus; 06-27-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

I just replaced mine. I have a 97 Laredo TSi and it has the speed proportional pump. I imagine yours has the same.
Tweaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I had a 97 Laredo 4.0L, and my pump died in a blaze of glory in April 2007 at 216K miles. It was not speed proportional. Only the upgraded models came with the speed proportional pump.
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Ya know, I dont think I have any wires to the pump I have off of the 5.9. humm, thought that was all internal stuff. just a closer ratio.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Here is a pic. I think the 96 5.2 are the only ones that have it though. Anyone else have it?

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

I have the speed proportional pump. It's a 97 Laredo with a 5.2. I was asked the same question by the parts guys and my solution was to take mine out and bring it to the shop and compare. They described the speed proportional one as being a bit larger because it has a few more internal parts. I never got to see the non proportional pump because the guy took one look at my pump and brought out the identical one for me to go install.

Mine does not have any electrical wires hooked up to it.
Tweaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

did you call atlantic chrysler? we had someone calling about one today.. i think it was a 96 grand cherokee though...
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
sweetie

Thanks to everyones input.I guess the best way for me will be to take it with me and compare cause ive not had any luck getting any answers from the dealerships.Thanks again!
sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
dave23
1996 ZJ 

I have the speed proportioning setup on my 96 zj and that is a 4.0 I6
dave23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.