how do i tell if my wheel bearings are bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how do i tell if my wheel bearings are bad

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

how do i tell if my wheel bearings are bad

I posted a thread earlier but i didn't really get much of a response, but it was totally on me being stupid and very unclear so let me try again.
I have a 97 ZJ 5.2 and the 249 TC. With about 137,000mi. I replaced the bald highway slicks (which were on it when i bought it) with a set of 30 in BFG A/t ko's mounted on the stock rims. On my way back home after getting the mounted I heard what i thought at first was just road noise from the more aggressive tread, but it didn't sound right and the sound goes away under acceleration. I started to think if the shop i bought the tires maybe did something since the issue started right when i left, but after taliking to my dad he said that the new tire being bigger and more aggressive tread probably brought out the already failing component.
While driving the noise starts at about 15mph and you cant hear it under acceleration. When i coast or brake the humming/grinding noise is steady and doesn't change in volume or pitch. I did a search and thought maybe c/v joints or u-joints but they are all brand new as well as the 249tc and the trans are less then a year old. When i took the tires off on the drivers side the hub bolt and nut look very clean and some what new on the passenger side they are rusty, but not corroded. Brakes are fine.
How do i check to see if the bearings are bad or if that is even the cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
polk74
1994 ZJ 

hi i had the same thing all you have to do is jack it up put it on stands grab the tire at the top and bottom an then try to move the tire back and forth and up and down if you have a lot of movement then it is the bearing
polk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
trailblazr81
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk74 View Post
hi i had the same thing all you have to do is jack it up put it on stands grab the tire at the top and bottom an then try to move the tire back and forth and up and down if you have a lot of movement then it is the bearing
If they are really bad you can shake the tire with the car on the ground and feel movement. Dont ask me how I know this.
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
memphisdub
1999 WJ 

After driving it feel the center of your weel and see if it's hot. When a wheel bearing is going bad it creates alot more friction. After driving for a while, the center of that wheel will normally heat up alot more than the other ones, especially if the bearing is in pretty bad shape. Wheel bearings actually are too bad to change.
memphisdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

An even easier way to tell.. Put the front end up on jack stands and spin a wheel by hand while you hold onto your coil spring. If the hub bearings are bad, it will vibrate through the spring.

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

well thanks for the input. I took the heep into a shop that does free diagnosis and they told me the diffs were making all the noise. I bought gaskets and already changed out the fluid in the rear which looked fine, no shavings and the fluid looked great. I replaced the oil with royal purple. I'll do the front tomorrow. I did the shake and wobble test and they both were tight as could be. If the front is bad or good i'll post my results. If this doesn't fix my prob i'll be ticked. The thing that worries me is the shop was trying to hussel me. D-bags.
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Good call tigerrrrrr i'll have to remember that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.