How do I tell which brake calipers I have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do I tell which brake calipers I have?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-26-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
askoop
2000 WJ 

How do I tell which brake calipers I have?

I have a 2000 WJ that needs a front brake job. How do I tell Which calipers I have?

from shopping, it looks like there are either akebono or teves. How do I tell?

askoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Myrtle Beach

unless you have replaced your calipers then you should have the teves. You can take your barke pads off, take them up to the auto parts store and match them with replacement pads

[URL=http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTcxOTAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg]MY JEEP[/URL]
Myrtle Beach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Drew
2007 WK 

The easy way is that the Teves calipers are an "open style" looking caliper and have a metal goofy looking retaining wire on the outside of the caliper.

The akebono's are a "closed style" and have no funny looking wire retainer around the outside.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
Myrtle Beach

i hate those stupid retainer wires. They are a pita to reinstall

[URL=http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTcxOTAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg]MY JEEP[/URL]
Myrtle Beach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
viper1993

Aren't the teves black in color and the akebono silver?

If you want to do the job right you should consider replacing the old calipers with the new style, and installing new rotors and pads.

Good luck.
Unread 03-01-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
DanEms

You're right the stock ones are black(Teves) and the replacement calipers are silver(Akebono). I just replaced my calipers, brakes, and rotors two days ago(Sunday). I ordered the kit jeep put out with the replacement calipers and new Akebono ceramic brake pads as well as a set of brembo rotors, the stock replacement ones, from www.tirerack.com, total w/ shipping for two rotors was under $80. Oh, I ordered the replacement kit from www.1stjeepparts.com, it was $170 and some change, not including shipping. But all and all I must say so far I'm very pleased, the Jeep brakes like new again! The calipers were supposedly the culpret of the Jeep's breaking "pulsation" and the rotors warping. If your thinking about doing the mod and need any more help or info, just let me know.
-Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.