How do I know if its my water pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How do I know if its my water pump?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 11-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
grasp

How do I know if its my water pump?

97 gc 5.2 ---Lent my jeep to my friend and and got a call 2 hours later that it was spewing coolant. I didnt get there till the car was cool so i dont know if it overheated. Waterpump still spins fine but alot of coolant was coming from where the pump bolts in. The waterpump still spins fine and seems ok to me. Is it possible that the seal went bad and thats all that needs to be replaced.
Also what is the best way to replace the hose that goes under the ac pump from the water pump?
Thanks

grasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I guess you will have to fire it up and wait to see exactly were that water starts leaking from. Your water pump is eight years old. It probably can not last much longer, even if it is not the issue.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
grasp

I have checked with the car on. It leaks from where the pump bolts in. Is this necessarily my water pump though?
Unread 11-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

It typically does not leak from around the housing unless the housing is warped. There are two weep holes for the water pump. If the internal bearing is bad then coolant will leak from these holes. Either way you will need a new water pump.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 11-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
grasp

Now the pulley wont pull off. I used a torch and a mallet. Any tips?
Unread 11-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

A torch will not help. The geometry of a circle is working against you. You cannot pull directly straight out, without a pulley puller. Jeep pulleys are very cheaply made, and can bend easily. Soak the sh_t out it over night and try to drive two wedges behind it. Something like door-stop wooden wedges can sometimes work. Make the wedges out of 2x4s if you have to. But the pullers are really cheap to purchase and you can use them on many different parts.

Unread 11-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
grasp

I went to my local advance to see if they had one i could borrow. They told me they had ones to rent or sell but none I could use. Stupid -=-=-=-= i will take my business elsewhere. Gonna go tomorrow to another store. Thanks
Unread 11-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

I 'rented' a puller for my fan clutch at a parts store her in town. Charged me credit card for it, when I returned it the next day they refunded my card. Very painless. If it had been a better quality puller I'd probably would have kept it.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I would not take the disk off of the shaft. The pump is very cheap, and it comes with a new disk. If you apply pressure on the shaft, then it will surely leak in the future. I suspect that that is what is leaking now via the weep hole. I would hate to get it back together only to find that you really need a new pump. Prophylactic pump replacement is a good thing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.