how do i disable ABS? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how do i disable ABS?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

I hate ABS in the winter. I can't tell you how many time I had to drive into the curb to stop the vehicle because the ABS would let it keep rolling. I developed a habit of pulling the emergency brake to at least lock up the back tires to stop in snow. That does make the vehicle stop quicker, no question about it.

Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i've watched people in abs equipped cars slide hundreds of feet into things, although in a nice straight line, in snow/icy conditions where my non-abs equipped car stopped just a little worse than usual in the same spot.

abs is terrible in anything other than damp and dry conditions.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I agree. ABS in winter can be a nightmare. A really good ABS system is one thing, but many are not. I'd wire a switch into the wiring from one of the front ABS sensors. Then you have a kill switch, and don't lose the speedo.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I agree. ABS in winter can be a nightmare. A really good ABS system is one thing, but many are not. I'd wire a switch into the wiring from one of the front ABS sensors. Then you have a kill switch, and don't lose the speedo.
good idea, but again if you get in an accident you are liable to loose your coverage and open yourself up to a lawsuit even if it was not your fault if they find that wire and switch.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
I hate ABS in the winter. I can't tell you how many time I had to drive into the curb to stop the vehicle because the ABS would let it keep rolling. I developed a habit of pulling the emergency brake to at least lock up the back tires to stop in snow. That does make the vehicle stop quicker, no question about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i've watched people in abs equipped cars slide hundreds of feet into things, although in a nice straight line, in snow/icy conditions where my non-abs equipped car stopped just a little worse than usual in the same spot.

abs is terrible in anything other than damp and dry conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardstsi View Post
What you guys are saying about never being able to outbrake the ABS unit is true AND false.

In the dry and wet, sure the ABS wins all the time. But throw in gravel or snow or any other loose surfaces and ABS actaully INCREASES stopping distance.

"In gravel, sand and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly"

Took that from wiki but it's been written in many other places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
lots of good support for the idea that abs sucks in snow AND gravel. i to have had to head for the curb or shoulder/ditch numerous times to avoid an accident due to abs lack of stopping ability also. i am old school and if you didnt spend alot of your life without abs it would certainely be hard to agree with those of us who have! and thats ok as well. to each his own. i like the switch idea! might try it. thanks to all, even those in disagreement. ron
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
RoadWarriorWJ
1999 WJ 

Another interesting article. http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/ABS_offroad.html

Do our jeeps shut off abs in part time? (referring to WJ's)

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/ABS_parttime.html
RoadWarriorWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #22
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

My 2 cents... I deplore ABS driving around on trails with a 2 inch shoulder and a 300 foot drop.... ABS will actually allow me to drive over the edge if I am braking on a switchback and hit a washboard/bumps.... You get the idea... NO way am I going to use that crap on a dangerous trail.
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #23
srad711
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardstsi View Post
What you guys are saying about never being able to outbrake the ABS unit is true AND false.

In the dry and wet, sure the ABS wins all the time. But throw in gravel or snow or any other loose surfaces and ABS actaully INCREASES stopping distance.

"In gravel, sand and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly"

Took that from wiki but it's been written in many other places.
This is pretty much on point. But just to let everyone know ABS does NOT shorten braking distances period. ABS merely allows wheels not to lock and allows added control while braking. In a straight line this will usually increase stopping distances in snow/sand/gravel/dry (wet is usually the exception). As an engineer who has studied ABS systems for about 10yrs now I can tell you the most modern day ABS systems with EBD/brake poportioning/brake assist/fade compensation/automatic rotor drying, do help much more than the older systems. Many Many tests have been done that show non-abs will stop shorter than ABS systems with a skilled driver. 95% of drivers do not poses that skill hence the reason for ABS. Its is meant to assist in panic situations and allow car control in adverse conditions. For skilled drivers ABS will actually hinder their ability of complete control under any and all circumstances. That being said our jeep systems are basic an no where where near as effective for a skilled driver as say a BMW/Volvo/Merc/Subaru system.

Quick edit: AAA describes in good detail here: AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety - Resources
srad711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

To solve the liability problem, just notify your insurance company that your vehicle doesn't have working ABS. They may charge a little more, but you're covered for the mod.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #25
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad711 View Post
This is pretty much on point. But just to let everyone know ABS does NOT shorten braking distances period. ABS merely allows wheels not to lock and allows added control while braking. In a straight line this will usually increase stopping distances in snow/sand/gravel/dry (wet is usually the exception). As an engineer who has studied ABS systems for about 10yrs now I can tell you the most modern day ABS systems with EBD/brake poportioning/brake assist/fade compensation/automatic rotor drying, do help much more than the older systems. Many Many tests have been done that show non-abs will stop shorter than ABS systems with a skilled driver. 95% of drivers do not poses that skill hence the reason for ABS. Its is meant to assist in panic situations and allow car control in adverse conditions. For skilled drivers ABS will actually hinder their ability of complete control under any and all circumstances. That being said our jeep systems are basic an no where where near as effective for a skilled driver as say a BMW/Volvo/Merc/Subaru system.

Quick edit: AAA describes in good detail here: AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety - Resources
am i to understand that you would agree that to a skilled driver abs is more difficult to control and will not stop as quickly on questionable surfaces? just making sure that i grasped your point.
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

pulled the fuse on my abs today. i love it! i am now able to stop much quicker than before, and, i feel more confident when approaching stops on snow covered roads and parking lots. it is good to know that i probably wont slide out into cross traffic. no adverse mechanical effects so far except the brake and the abs trouble lights.
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #27
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

something i just read in a 4wheel offroad mag!

Not so on a dirt road!

Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny ball bearings when you step on the brakes. As a result there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground.
Therefore all four wheels want to lock up immediately.
ABS would keep them from doing so.
So you keep rolling and rolling, and rolling, and rolling. You might be rolling for too long and your stopping distance is going to be that of a container ship. Too long to be safe. You might even drive off a cliff.

Last edited by ronsaun; 12-18-2009 at 12:10 AM..
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #28
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

will i be able to do sick AWD burnouts if i pull mine?
ZONE 4" Lift With 32" Duratracs
Hella Lighting - Rola Rack - KOR 3/4 Spacers
IRO Sliders - Rusty's Hooks - Cobra CB

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #29
srad711
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
am i to understand that you would agree that to a skilled driver abs is more difficult to control and will not stop as quickly on questionable surfaces? just making sure that i grasped your point.
you are correct
Unread 12-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #30
srad711
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
something i just read in a 4wheel offroad mag!

Not so on a dirt road!

Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny ball bearings when you step on the brakes. As a result there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground.
Therefore all four wheels want to lock up immediately.
ABS would keep them from doing so.
So you keep rolling and rolling, and rolling, and rolling. You might be rolling for too long and your stopping distance is going to be that of a container ship. Too long to be safe. You might even drive off a cliff.
Not true, if you lock the tires you will dig below the "ball bearing's" stoping quicker. Also you will push a large mound in front of your tires helping to stop much quicker. Problem with ABS is it doesnt know what surface it is on and continues to realease pressure not allowing the above to happen. This has been proven fact time and time again.
The new ABS systems in some off-road vehicles (SVT Raptor for example) have a seperate program for off-roading that allows much more lock-up and are set-up for maximum performance in dirt/gravel /sand conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.