how do i disable ABS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how do i disable ABS?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

how do i disable ABS?

i hate ABS!!!!!!!!! i drive in deep snow and ice all winter. when i brake for some reason i get ABS "very" often, then i slide, albeit straight. i attribute this to the ABS reaction to the extremely slippery conditions. but, it takes way longer to completely stop as opposed to just regular brakes. i want to turn them off. i know all about the handling differences and i want them OFF!!!!!!!!
are there any electronic or mechanical issues that would develope other than the trouble light that would create additional problems and/or expense(modifications)? i would appreciate any FACTUAL experience. thanks ron

ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Pull the relay.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Nosights
2000 WJ 

Pull the fuse...it's just that easy. It should be in the power panel near the battery on the fender (rectangular box if I remember right.)
Nosights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

It will feel like that old Jeep you used to have lol. No harm no foul.
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

thanks to all. that is good news. that way if i do want them back i can just put the fuse back in. ron
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If you kill power to the abs system you lose your speedometer. The WJ gets its speed signal through the abs controller. The only way to stop the abs system from working while keeping your speedometer is to remove one of the front sensors or otherwise make it inoperable.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

That ABS pump is able to pump the brakes much quicker and more efficiently than you ever could. Saying that non ABS equipped Jeeps stop better in slippery conditions would be ignorant.
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

I'm sure ronsauce has the GPS. I have a feeling he won't care anyway
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
That ABS pump is able to pump the brakes much quicker and more efficiently than you ever could. Saying that non ABS equipped Jeeps stop better in slippery conditions would be ignorant.

It's an old school thing ... & there is no stopping on ice anyway. Even with ABS. I must be an ignoramous
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

There is absolutely NO WAY you will be able to stop the vehicle quicker than a properly functioning ABS system.

Another consideration is insurance. Chances are your insurance policy is based on having ABS. Deactivate ABS and then get into an accident . . . don't be surprised if you are facing a big out-of-pocket payout. Real world cases of this happening have been reported on other forums.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Sounds to me like your ABS is not functioning properly. I would look into fixing the problem rather than disabling it.
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
Wizardstsi
1993 ZJ 

What you guys are saying about never being able to outbrake the ABS unit is true AND false.

In the dry and wet, sure the ABS wins all the time. But throw in gravel or snow or any other loose surfaces and ABS actaully INCREASES stopping distance.

"In gravel, sand and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly"

Took that from wiki but it's been written in many other places.
Wizardstsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

The slight decrease in stopping distance is due to buildup of "stuff" be it sand, gravel, snow in front of the tires and acting like a chock block. The distance differance is pretty minimal and one good thing about ABS is you stop in a straight line.

I'd leave it alone.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
tsconver
2003 WJ 

as mentioned if you pull the power to it you will loose your speedometer and cause a constant check engine light. Here in NC it would not pass inspection with a CEL on.

Also the odometer will not work any longer and that will impact your ability to resell it.

Finally, the WJs do not have a brake proportionating valve, the front to rear proportionating is controlled by speed, braking and road conditions through the abs pump. So with out the ABS pump it will be split 50/50 front to rear and will negatively impact your stopping distance.

Again if you get in an accident insurance may hang you out to dry if they figure out you intentionally disabled the ABS.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
The slight decrease in stopping distance is due to buildup of "stuff" be it sand, gravel, snow in front of the tires and acting like a chock block. The distance differance is pretty minimal and one good thing about ABS is you stop in a straight line.

I'd leave it alone.
Yup, that's one of the largest benefits to ABS, is being able to stop wherever you point the wheels. When you lock up your brakes, you have no steering control. If you're on a slick surface and mash the brakes (with ABS), you retain at least some control of where your vehicle is going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.