JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   how do i disable ABS? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/how-do-i-disable-abs-926725/)

ronsaun 12-15-2009 11:35 PM

how do i disable ABS?

i hate ABS!!!!!!!!! i drive in deep snow and ice all winter. when i brake for some reason i get ABS "very" often, then i slide, albeit straight. i attribute this to the ABS reaction to the extremely slippery conditions. but, it takes way longer to completely stop as opposed to just regular brakes. i want to turn them off. i know all about the handling differences and i want them OFF!!!!!!!!
are there any electronic or mechanical issues that would develope other than the trouble light that would create additional problems and/or expense(modifications)? i would appreciate any FACTUAL experience. thanks ron

Virmagicus 12-15-2009 11:36 PM

Pull the relay.

Nosights 12-15-2009 11:53 PM

Pull the fuse...it's just that easy. It should be in the power panel near the battery on the fender (rectangular box if I remember right.)

Virmagicus 12-15-2009 11:58 PM

It will feel like that old Jeep you used to have lol. No harm no foul.

ronsaun 12-16-2009 12:06 AM

thanks to all. that is good news. that way if i do want them back i can just put the fuse back in. ron

ratmonkey 12-16-2009 01:00 AM

If you kill power to the abs system you lose your speedometer. The WJ gets its speed signal through the abs controller. The only way to stop the abs system from working while keeping your speedometer is to remove one of the front sensors or otherwise make it inoperable.

JrMechanic 12-16-2009 01:17 AM

That ABS pump is able to pump the brakes much quicker and more efficiently than you ever could. Saying that non ABS equipped Jeeps stop better in slippery conditions would be ignorant.

Virmagicus 12-16-2009 01:18 AM

I'm sure ronsauce has the GPS. I have a feeling he won't care anyway :cheers2:

Virmagicus 12-16-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrMechanic (Post 8488855)
That ABS pump is able to pump the brakes much quicker and more efficiently than you ever could. Saying that non ABS equipped Jeeps stop better in slippery conditions would be ignorant.

It's an old school thing ... & there is no stopping on ice anyway. Even with ABS. I must be an ignoramous :D

Technohead 12-16-2009 02:07 AM

There is absolutely NO WAY you will be able to stop the vehicle quicker than a properly functioning ABS system.

Another consideration is insurance. Chances are your insurance policy is based on having ABS. Deactivate ABS and then get into an accident . . . don't be surprised if you are facing a big out-of-pocket payout. Real world cases of this happening have been reported on other forums.

Greengc4x4 12-16-2009 02:11 AM

Sounds to me like your ABS is not functioning properly. I would look into fixing the problem rather than disabling it.

Wizardstsi 12-16-2009 02:50 AM

What you guys are saying about never being able to outbrake the ABS unit is true AND false.

In the dry and wet, sure the ABS wins all the time. But throw in gravel or snow or any other loose surfaces and ABS actaully INCREASES stopping distance.

"In gravel, sand and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly"

Took that from wiki but it's been written in many other places.

Whybu1 12-16-2009 05:09 AM

The slight decrease in stopping distance is due to buildup of "stuff" be it sand, gravel, snow in front of the tires and acting like a chock block. The distance differance is pretty minimal and one good thing about ABS is you stop in a straight line.

I'd leave it alone.

tsconver 12-16-2009 03:10 PM

as mentioned if you pull the power to it you will loose your speedometer and cause a constant check engine light. Here in NC it would not pass inspection with a CEL on.

Also the odometer will not work any longer and that will impact your ability to resell it.

Finally, the WJs do not have a brake proportionating valve, the front to rear proportionating is controlled by speed, braking and road conditions through the abs pump. So with out the ABS pump it will be split 50/50 front to rear and will negatively impact your stopping distance.

Again if you get in an accident insurance may hang you out to dry if they figure out you intentionally disabled the ABS.

JrMechanic 12-16-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whybu1 (Post 8489109)
The slight decrease in stopping distance is due to buildup of "stuff" be it sand, gravel, snow in front of the tires and acting like a chock block. The distance differance is pretty minimal and one good thing about ABS is you stop in a straight line.

I'd leave it alone.

Yup, that's one of the largest benefits to ABS, is being able to stop wherever you point the wheels. When you lock up your brakes, you have no steering control. If you're on a slick surface and mash the brakes (with ABS), you retain at least some control of where your vehicle is going.

The time now is 01:20 PM.