How to Disable ABS 98 ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to Disable ABS 98 ZJ?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
psychade
1998 ZJ 

How to Disable ABS 98 ZJ?

So a friend helped me change my front axle u-joint last night. Slight complication when getting it to pop out.

We dented the round ridged section the abs uses to track itself apparently, when trying to bend the dent out a piece of it snapped off (Forgive me for not knowing what exactly the part is called I think I have heard it referred to as a tone ring? I am not exactly a mechanical mastermind obviously ).

Now when I start the Jeep every time I hit the brakes for about the first 20 seconds the ABS is kicking in and constantly pulsating when trying to brake. This can make getting out of the driveway without driving straight into oncoming traffic a bit dangerous.

The ABS fails and turns itself off shortly there after, but it still takes a bit for it to do so every time I start the Jeep up.

Long story short, I can't really afford to replace it right now, and Id much rather just disable ABS all together until I can. Is there a simple relay I can pull? I don't care about the light being on, I just would like to not slowly creep into oncoming traffic .

As well as any idea of what part I'll need to buy down the line later to fix it. Do I have to buy the entire axle shaft?

Last edited by psychade; 06-20-2008 at 05:40 AM..
psychade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
ntaousakis
1999 WJ 

pull out the fuse
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
psychade
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaousakis View Post
pull out the fuse
Would the fuse specifically just be for the ABS, or would I end up taking something else out as well? Would it just be listed in my owners manual? Sorry I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to these things.
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

It is just for the ABS. IF you are unsure, go buy a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual at any autoparts store.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
psychade
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
It is just for the ABS. IF you are unsure, go buy a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual at any autoparts store.

Hunter

Thanks, I am pretty sure I have one actually in the jeep. I'll give that a shot on lunch.

Any idea what I will have to replace to fix the problem overall? I'm sure I can't just buy the part that broke, as I remember it was rather attached to everything else, will I need an entire axle shaft?
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Just remove a sensor from the front wheels. Its only 1 bolt then zip tie it up. I think if 1 sensor is bad there is no ABS. But you will have the ABS light on the dash.

Are you talking about the ring on the axle shaft? Someone here did replace that ring (I forgot who). If the shaft is bad you can get a new one with the ABS ring on it for about $60 I think. Not too hard of a job if you can turn wrenches.

EDIT
Check this thread out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...light=abs+ring

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
LaCeS OuT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
psychade
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCeS OuT View Post
Just remove a sensor from the front wheels. Its only 1 bolt then zip tie it up. I think if 1 sensor is bad there is no ABS. But you will have the ABS light on the dash.

Are you talking about the ring on the axle shaft? Someone here did replace that ring (I forgot who). If the shaft is bad you can get a new one with the ABS ring on it for about $60 I think. Not too hard of a job if you can turn wrenches.

EDIT
Check this thread out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...light=abs+ring
Yes I believe that is what I'm talking about. It was on the spindle yoke side of the joint if I remember right. It looks almost like a gear in a way.

Its something like:

Managed to take the entire thing out to do the u-joint, so I figure I could replace it. Hopefully not breaking other things in the process this time.

Edit:Just noticed the thread link, thats pretty much exactly what I did Thanks for the link, I'll think about how I want to tackle it now.

Last edited by psychade; 06-20-2008 at 08:25 AM..
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Well that thread I posted tells how to remove and install one.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
psychade
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCeS OuT View Post
Well that thread I posted tells how to remove and install one.
I see that, I'm just going to have to see how much one is new from that company, going to call them in a bit. Or if I'd be better off just checking a junkyard. As soon as a get a few minutes I'm going to give them a call. In the interim while I wait for the part I think I'll try just pulling the fuse.

I appreciate you finding that for me

Edit: Yeah that company sold out their stock of those with no intent to bring them back. He also said even if he had it, he has a $25 minimum and 12.50 shipping.
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
LaCeS OuT
1994 ZJ 

Cool, yeah check out a junkyard im sure you can get the axle shaft for cheap.

Jeep Sold! 02/2009

Need AMSOIL? Click Here!
Unread 06-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
psychade
1998 ZJ 

Apparently this is a rather common problem occurence. I called http://www.dearbornaxle.com/ which is a place by me. I asked him for the ring, he asked me if i broke it when changing my u-joint and chuckled a bit. He said he didn't but if I wanted the entire new axle he has a truck full of them. $100 Shipped
Unread 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
crazydude2500
1993 ZJ 

i got a new axel for about 40 but i knew the guy at the parts store that always helps the new axel is about 60 70 ish depending just go to the parts store and get one....junkyard one could be on the way out i dont have abs in my jeep dunno why it comes on and off sometimes haha who knows.....i have cv shafts tho....
crazydude2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Sorry, I only had one ring, & NYC ZJ has it now, but maybe someone else can help you. It's rather easy to fix once the axle is out.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/cant-find-right-axle-557124/

This place may sell them:
http://www.rockfordcv.com/PDF%20Downloads/ABS_Rings.PDF

EDIT:I had some free time, so I called the above place, & they no longer sell them. They recommended:
http://www.interparts.com/pdf/ABSRing.pdf
Again, see if you can contact someone here that may have an old axle laying around. '93-98 ZJ (ujoint or CV) are the same... and probably other, too. Mine was a 719-19 54 tooth
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L

Last edited by SJZ; 06-20-2008 at 02:57 PM..
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.