how difficult is the ford 8.8 swap and is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > how difficult is the ford 8.8 swap and is it worth it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

how difficult is the ford 8.8 swap and is it worth it?

After UN necessarily getting stuck in some mud the other day, I'm considering swapping a ford 8.8 rear end onto my zj. I will be looking for one with disc brakes and a limited slip. If I can't find one with disc brakes, oh well but the limited slip is a mist if I were to do this. After discovering ny fabrication skills during my ax15 swap, I don't think this would be too difficult. My only concern is getting all of the brackets straight so that the axle is lined up perfectly. I have some decent welding skills but have access to some superb welders if necessary.
So to those who have done it what was the most difficult aspect of the conversion and after all of the work was it worth it? Did you use an aftermarket kit or use your ZJ's brackets.

dirtymissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You know that a different axle won't help you from getting stuck. IRO sells the brackets, don't reuse the stock ones, they are flimsy. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You know that a different axle won't help you from getting stuck. IRO sells the brackets, don't reuse the stock ones, they are flimsy. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/
That's right it won't but a ford 8.8 limited slip swap will be cheaper that buying LS to put it mystock diff
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Also you DO NOT want a limited slip. Limited slips are for gay muscle cars. Offroad you need a locker. You cannot install a lunchbox locker into a limited slip carrier. Get an axle with an open carrier, slide in a lunchbox locker, and then become amazed at how much further down the trail you can go.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Also you DO NOT want a limited slip. Limited slips are for gay muscle cars. Offroad you need a locker. You cannot install a lunchbox locker into a limited slip carrier. Get an axle with an open carrier, slide in a lunchbox locker, and then become amazed at how much further down the trail you can go.
What I'm going for is a cost effective gain in traction. An open ford 8.8 would easier to work with but would it be easier to put a locker in my stock rear? What am I looking at on cost?

I'm not doing a lot of frequent offroading (maybe 2 or 3 times a month) so I'm not sure how much is too much for it to be worth it for me
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Even with skinny 31's I don't even notice that my limited slip is there and I had it rebuilt a couple years ago. With larger than stock tires it doesn't even really work.

Putting in an 8.8 will cost around a grand or more. Another option would be to get a bolt in D44a from the JY and put either an Aussie or Spartan locker in it. That would be about 300 for the locker and what ever you find the axle for.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

I've heard about annoying auto lunch box lockers being obnoxious on the highway and on road which makes up about 70% of my zj's use. Not always my DD but when the old ford needs ujoints amd wheel bearings about every year it is. I'm assuming the cheapest effective way to lock a rear end without welding spider gears is about 275$ for a lunch box locker. Unless I could fab up something on my own. Lol but I am not going to try that since I don't know much about diffs or trust myself
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
cbeam2
1994 ZJ 

My rear LockRight locker is not that noisy. The front one for some reason is pretty loud in turns.
cbeam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Yes it is worth it. Lunch box lockers run $250-$300. BY FAR the single biggest mod you can do to improve off road capability. If you have a D35 then an 8.8 with locker and you are golden.

BTW, wheeling 3 times a month is a lot.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Yeah a locker is great, i rode with some rubicons the other week, i can't imagine trying to go out there with both open diffs, I'm only half locked and it's great
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Yeah a locker is great, i rode with some rubicons the other week, i can't imagine trying to go out there with both open diffs, I'm only half locked and it's great
Thats what I'm starting to think I may do, just the front to start. I see you've got an np231 too.
Any noticeable difference in handling on road with just a front auto locker?
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

Most economical-stop taking it through the mud.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Tires make more difference than anything else, especially in mud.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymissouri View Post
Thats what I'm starting to think I may do, just the front to start. I see you've got an np231 too.
Any noticeable difference in handling on road with just a front auto locker?
Nah I don't even notice it's there in 2wd as far as handling goes. But when I engage 4wd (off pavement) it torque steers like crazy, but that's never a big problem in the woods. I wouldn't put an auto locker in if you have the 249 though
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Nah I don't even notice it's there in 2wd as far as handling goes. But when I engage 4wd (off pavement) it torque steers like crazy, but that's never a big problem in the woods. I wouldn't put an auto locker in if you have the 249 though
Definitely not in a 249. I wouldnt have a 249 if I had the choice. So I dont have one anymore. I think I'm gonna go for it. It's only 250$ for a locker with mostly good reviews. Someone earlier mentioned tires and I love mine. Not much meat left on them but they're Daytona timberline A/Ts they do awesome for the price I played, 50$ mounted and balanced (including newer silver Cherokee wheels.)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.