How are cooling systems flushed at dealerships? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How are cooling systems flushed at dealerships?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
ChesterWilliams

How are cooling systems flushed at dealerships?

I was going to take in my anti-freeze. Am I wasting my time? They said they have big drums of anti-freeze. Do they flush with water like I would at home? Am I wasting my time taking in anti-freeze or could they use the anti-freeze I take in?

ChesterWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

No idea how they do it because I aviod them as much as possible, plus I cannot watch them. Go to the autoparts store and but a flushing tee-kit along with a new heater hose (that you will cut to place the tee in) and buy some DI water at the grocery store. You flush it yourself with a garden hose and the engine running.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
ChesterWilliams

Thanks!

I kind of need to take it in because they said they could run a free cooling system check on it. I don't know what is wrong and it could be more than just the anti-freeze needs changed or the thermostat. It is weird because everything runs like normal, it it just that everything is running 20 degrees warmer than usual.

Is it possible that anti-freeze can lose the ability to shed heat to the point of a 20 degrees increase in temperature on the gauge? The gauge reads about 220 when cruising around town at 30 mph or so and gets almost up to 235 mph when pushing 75 mph on interstate. I believe the engine used to read 210 degrees about all the time when I first had it. I haven't had it very long, so I don't really know. All I know is the temperature has slowly gone higher. I have no idea when the anti-freeze was last changed, so I am hoping the anti-freeze or the thermostat is the problem. The vehicle has about 70,000 miles on it.
Unread 03-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There are several things that will reduce cooling:
1- Loose belt
2- Water pump impellers degrading or partly missing
3- Bad thermostat
4- The wrong concentration of anti-freeze. Too much glycol will reduce that cooling.
5- Partially clogged radiator.
6- Clogged catalytic converter (this will also reduce rpms and fuel mileage)
7- Excessive carbon build-up in the cylinders and head

I am sure other can think of some more issues that would cause an engine to run hotter than normal.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 03-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
ChesterWilliams

Coolant flush and new thermostat fixed it!

It runs under 210 now!
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
ChesterWilliams

I'd also like to add that the oil pressure increased after the temperaure problem was corrected. The oil pressure would be around 20 psi at idle when the engine was running hotter than it should have been. Now that the engine always stays just below 210 degrees, the idle psi is at 30. This is with synthetic oil. The hotter running engine must have really thinned out the oil.
Unread 03-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Glad to hear that it was a cheap fix

Unread 03-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
PDshooter

My I-6 runs right at 210....... But the "Rad," is showing it's age. Will replace it with a "Modine" this summer.
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.