How to clean your idle air control valve - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How to clean your idle air control valve

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #61
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Very nice writeup young lady.

iPlay1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #62
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for this thread, before i used some seafoam, i took the idel air controller out and sure enough it was black. I didnt use chemicals to clean it tho i just used a clean rag and wiped it down until it was shiny again.

I cant say that it changed anything to my IDLE but at least its clean lol
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #63
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but it got mine clean!
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #64
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Cleaned mine also. I used brake parts cleaner (good stuff) and a dremel with a soft wire brush, though I forgot to disconnect the battery, so I guess Ill go do that, so it can relearn everything.......
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #65
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Why does the battery need to be unhooked.. I just thought it was a safety thing they asj you to do. Is it so it'll go through a relearn.
... While I worked at Jeep CHRYSLER. I think we charge 1 1/2 hr time to clean these. At $90.00 an hour that'll sure get your pocket book fast.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #66
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yep, the computer needs to relearn the correct idle and everything.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #67
HappyCamper99
1997 ZJ 

Clean the IAC really works

My 1997 Jeep ZJ was idling a little rough; jumping between 600 & 800 rpm while stopped and in-gear. After reading this post, I checked my IAC value and it looked the same as the pictures (nice job on the post!). I used carb-cleaner sprayed onto a clean rag and a small course brush to clean it. DEFINITELY UNHOOK the battery while cleaning the IAC as the computer will need to be reset when the ‘clean’ IAC is reinstalled. Now my ZJ idles beautifully at 400 rpm when stopped and in-gear.
HappyCamper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #68
Al3xK

My 96 Jeep Grand Cheroke 4.0 idles at 2600 RPMs only when it's in park. I cleaned the IAC as shown and also the throttle body pretty well with throttle body cleaner. I forgot to unhook the battery, so I'm doing that now.

Could my problem be something else? Everybody is complaining about a range of 400 rpm difference...I'm at 2600!
Al3xK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #69
DesertLimted
1998 ZJ 

So my ZJ 5.9L is vibrating quite a lot when idle (a little less vibration after I got the Engine/Trans mounts replaced). And I recall to read on this forum that rough idle or vibration is related to a dirty or faulty IAC? So could it be the same case for Jeep?
Other thing was that I had 1 cylinder misfiring, because of a faulty spark-plug. That might also added to the vibration that time.
DesertLimted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #70
DesertLimted
1998 ZJ 

Could it still be I have a misfiring cylinder when in idle because of a dirty or faulty IAC, and it's throwing the engine off balance which causes the vibrations?
DesertLimted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #71
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I can't see the IAC causing a misfire.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #72
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

My jeep idles about 500 and runs fine. But when my AC is on it acts like it is going to stall ( but never does ) and my idle doesn't kick up. Could this be my IAC or another issue??

Also it takes about 20secs to start in the morning, Alternator, Battery, and Starter all test fine. Could these issues be related??
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #73
HappyCamper99
1997 ZJ 

Cannot hurt to try

To Dodgeram1989...Why not try cleaning the IAC? Follow the post by HALEYRZ with all the pictures and do not forget to disconnect the battery first!! Plus after the IAC is clean and replaced your vehicle may be tough to start and run rough for a few seconds. But only until the computer re-adjusts itself. This is an easy do-it-youself job and it might fix your 20-second startup time. It might even fix your idling with the A/C on problem too.
HappyCamper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #74
highmountaingee

Idle air control valve

Thanks for posting the info on how to clean the valve. My jeep is a 94 country 4.0 so the design is not the same, but it did help. It was covered in solid carbon. I cleaned it and put it back in my car, but it didn't do the entire trick. It was better, but not there yet. I went ahead and got a new one.

Well the new one was still better than before, but it didn't cure my problem. It's still not idling properly and it sputters when accelerating.

I cleaned out the air intake, replaced the distributor cap, wires, rotor and fuel filter, but it still has not solved the problem.

It would sputter just slightly in the past, but since I had the transmission rebuilt and possibly also when I sprayed throttle body cleaner spray into the air intake it has not been right. I hope the transmission had nothing to do with it; I doubt it, but who knows.

I'm still trying to solve the puzzle. I have 383K on the jeep and want to keep it past 500k so I have to get this puppy going.

But, anyway, enough about my issues. Thanks for the post.

Gerry
highmountaingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #75
Jeepman82
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Been having the same problem lately except mine was idling really low or just stalling most of the time any time I let off the throttle. I started with replacing the fuel filter. When I got underneath my YJ, I noticed the filter that was on was really small and the one I bought, which was a factory exact fit, was significantly larger. The previous owner took A LOT of shortcuts on damn near everthing and I've been slowly finding things after the 3 years I've owned this Jeep. Anyways, When I did the swap, it didnt fix my stalling problem. Glad I can always rely on this forum for excellent write-ups. I pulled the IAC and lo and behold...it was caked in black. I used PB Blaster to clean it up and the inside and around the TB and spacer. Just put everything back together and it was the trick I've been looking for. Thanks for the help and the write-up. You've just made my day and saved me $67 at Napa for a replacement IAC.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Jeepman82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.