How can this be right?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How can this be right??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-07-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
boilingpoint

How can this be right??

I have a 93 JGC 4.0L. The other day I was replacing my valve cover gasket. I cleaned everything meticulously. Then it came to bolting down the valve cover. I took out my torque wrench and then refered to my Haynes manual for torque specs. The books indicates torquing the valve cover bolts to 75 FT LBS. I thought that was quite a bit. Any ways I adjusted my torque wrench to 75 Ft LBS. I started bolting down each bolt gradually until they were fairly tight but not to 75 FT LBS yet. The bolts were in quite tight already and I felt weary tightening them up anymore. That is when I took out my thick original Jeep Factory Service manual. This book also said to torque to 75 FT LBS. So I hesitantly began tighteniing the bolts when suddenly one of the bolt heads snapped. I didnt even get it to 75 FT LBS. These bolts were all new...I purchased them when I purchased the gasket. Now I have a broken bolt I have to contend with. How can these manuals be right? Isn't 75 FT LBS way too much. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

boilingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Stocker

IMO - since I don't have a manual to refer to - 75 lb/ft is WAY too much for valve covers. I would say perhaps 75 lb/INCH might be about right, though I've never used a torque wrench to bolt up the tin bits. I could understand a typo in one manual, but not in both....
Unread 05-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingpoint
I have a 93 JGC 4.0L. The other day I was replacing my valve cover gasket. I cleaned everything meticulously. Then it came to bolting down the valve cover. I took out my torque wrench and then refered to my Haynes manual for torque specs. The books indicates torquing the valve cover bolts to 75 FT LBS. I thought that was quite a bit. Any ways I adjusted my torque wrench to 75 Ft LBS. I started bolting down each bolt gradually until they were fairly tight but not to 75 FT LBS yet. The bolts were in quite tight already and I felt weary tightening them up anymore. That is when I took out my thick original Jeep Factory Service manual. This book also said to torque to 75 FT LBS. So I hesitantly began tighteniing the bolts when suddenly one of the bolt heads snapped. I didnt even get it to 75 FT LBS. These bolts were all new...I purchased them when I purchased the gasket. Now I have a broken bolt I have to contend with. How can these manuals be right? Isn't 75 FT LBS way too much. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Page 2A-2 of my Haynes manual lists the Valve cover mounting bolts for 1993 at 75 in-lbs and for 1994 and later at 85 in-lbs. That would be inch pounds.
To answer your question, that's about 825 inch pounds too much
HTH

Last edited by Meerkat; 05-07-2004 at 10:44 PM..
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 02:09 AM   #4
demtjcj

that sucks, its no fun to drill and tap.

good luck

dan

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
boilingpoint

Damn it! I knew something wasnt right. I just assumed all specs were in FT LBS. So lets see how would you convert 75 FT LBS to INCH LBS?? There is 12 inches in a foot. So do you just divide 75 by 12? Which would then be 6.25 FT LBS?

Im so glad you guys replied to my post. I cant believe I missed this.
Unread 05-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Damn it! I knew something wasnt right. I just assumed all specs were in FT LBS. So lets see how would you convert 75 FT LBS to INCH LBS?? There is 12 inches in a foot. So do you just divide 75 by 12? Which would then be 6.25 FT LBS?

Im so glad you guys replied to my post. I cant believe I missed this.
You are correct.
Also, I would recommend replacing all the bolts you overtorqued. They have been over stretched, and will not stretch properly under the lower torque. A new valve cover gasket might be in order as well, I bet the one you have now is about paper thin.

When you remove the valve cover, there may be enough of the twisted off bolt left to back out with vise grips, if not, a left hand drill bit may back it out while you are drilling for the tap. Just stay in the center to avoid the threads in the head.

Don't feel too bad, it happens to the best of us every now and then. Well, not to me, but to other people I know...
Ok, it has happened to me too. There, I said it, are you happy now?

Good luck!
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:05 PM   #7
boilingpoint

Yo guys,

I was able to get the broken bolt out without having to drill. I removed the valve cover and there was just a mm of thread still sticking out. I managed to turn the broken bolt a 1/4 turn with a flat head and hammer. That was just enough to get the vice grips to hold. After that it was just a matter of turning the vice grips until it came out.

What a relief.
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #8
boilingpoint

Hi Warren,

Youre right on the money. That cork gasket is pretty thin now. I ordered and new gasket and bolts from my local auto parts store yesterday. I am going down later today to pick them up.

Thanks for your input.

Al
Unread 05-08-2004, 08:27 PM   #9
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Hi Warren,

Youre right on the money. That cork gasket is pretty thin now. I ordered and new gasket and bolts from my local auto parts store yesterday. I am going down later today to pick them up.

Thanks for your input.

Al

Always a pleasure to help out a bit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.