How can i test sensors? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
leone1907

How can i test sensors?

how can i test map sensor,TPS,CPS,ACTP
Which causes excessive fuel consumption?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM
clrkent67

I had all indications of a bad o2 on my 98 and found a vacuum leak to be the culprit

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

Have heard this before...easiest way to check things is to let the Jeep's computer tell you any problems. That is hook up a OBDII scanner if its a 96 or newer.....

agree about vacuum leaks too

Proud owner of two ZJs
Red 94 mint!
Silver 98 just hit 300k miles....runs like new!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2017, 01:24 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Would help if you told us engine and year.

I would like to know what an ACTP sensor is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
leone1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Would help if you told us engine and year.

I would like to know what an ACTP sensor is.

1995 zj 5,2

my computer not working, obd scanner not show any problem but my car Fuel consumption is too high; 35lt / 100km.

(Air Charge Temperature Sensor)
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-2017, 01:55 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

O2 is most likely if you are not experiencing a stalling issue.

How much oil is in the intake?

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leone1907 View Post
1995 zj 5,2
93-95 ZJs are OBD1, and so you only get a small number of fault codes. Many scanners cannot read OBD1 anyway because it wasn't a true standard the way OBD2 is. Every manufacturer basically did their own thing with OBD1, which is why few generic scanners support it and you usually have to get the specific OBD1 factory scan tool for your vehicle to do anything useful.

What you really need is the 5.2L powertrain diagnostic manual for 1995 (it's something very different to the FSM and goes into serious detail about the engine sensors), but I can't seem to see one on eBay for your year. There's one for 1997 (which is an OBD2 year and so may have differences in sensor voltages etc). Loads of the 4.0L powertrain diagnostic manual for 93-95 though.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2017, 12:03 AM
rep-tile
Cash 4 Clunkers Survivor

2004 WJ 

Every sensor has a specific testing procedure, which is not always 100% reliable. Some are based on voltage readings, some on resistance readings, etc. In all cases, what you are testing is the sensor proper calibration. But very importantly, you want to narrow down your search to those sensors affecting air/fuel mixture specifically. For instance, TPS and CPS will have little to no effect, and rather a big effect on engine's ability to run at all.

You probably want to look first at your upstream O2 sensor(s) and coolant temp sensor. The CTS in fact determines open/close loop operations. A bad CTS can sometimes be overlooked even though it can delay closed loop operations because the computer thinks it hasn't reached operating temp yet, which means your engine burns more fuel than is needed instead of relying on O2 sensor's readings.

Bad sensors won't necessarily throw an engine code and I would NOT wait for on an engine code to establish a sensor is bad. In order to throw a code, the readings have to be significantly outside pre-determined values, which your computer may not always detect and are set arbitrarily anyway.

If you decide to change a sensor, I strongly recommend to go OEM. Aftermarket sensors are not set to OEM calibration and could in fact make the problem worse. A perfect example would be Bosh O2 sensors on Chrysler vehicles. Bad combination.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5

Tags
fuel economy , grand cherokee , MAP sensor , tps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.