How-To: Adding an AUX. Port to your Factory Radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > How-To: Adding an AUX. Port to your Factory Radio

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

How-To: Adding an AUX. Port to your Factory Radio

THIS DOES NOT WORK. DO NOT TRY IT. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
I'm just keeping it as is because it does provide a nice starting point for someone else who might want to finish the project, it shows the radio disassembly in very good detail.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Radio disassembly
2. Using and powering your radio, outside of your Jeep

================================================== =======

This is an addendum to the original post here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a.../#post15634394. I wanted to make a new post with a different title to make this easier to find for future reference.

If you are interested in adding your own auxiliary input on your factory Infinity sound system, you've probably seen those modified head units for sale on eBay for upwards of $100. If you are like me and refuse to pay that much money for something you already own, you will poke around the inside of the radio and find out how to install your own auxiliary port.

RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Cool
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Sounds pretty cool.

I'd like to see the full write up. What would the toggle be used for exactly? The ability to not have to unplug your ipod or phone when you want to listen to other media?
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColee View Post
Sounds pretty cool.

I'd like to see the full write up. What would the toggle be used for exactly? The ability to not have to unplug your ipod or phone when you want to listen to other media?
That's pretty much what the toggle would be used for. So basically you'd be able to toggle between 2 sources, either A: regular radio, or B: your auxiliary input. But since you'd need a switch with at least 5 poles (LF,RF,RR,LR,Ground), I'm thinking about using a couple relays. The relays would get their power by the ACC cord in the back of the radio and the ground of the chassis. Makes sense in my head at least. It might not make sense here, but I'll detail it later, in the full writeup.

To those who are considering this modification, it seems like a regular iPod outputs signals through it's headphone jack that are more powerful than the signal at that connector. So, to avoid having the volume increase an incredible amount with one volume knob click, you could use the radio, tune it to a comfortable listening volume, turn the volume all the way down on your iPod, and switch the inputs, then slowly turn up the volume on your iPod until the volume is about the same as the radio was. That should be the point you keep the volume set at on your iPod.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Not all write ups make it into the FAQ section but many will add it to there favorites list when someone has a need for the procedure.
Write it up. Someone will find it useful.
Mine never made it to the list, but it was linked in ZeeJays 12 tings that was just added to the FAQ.

Give it a title that it can be easily search, and add it in your signature. It will more than likely be useful to some such as mine did.

Good work!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the info. My factory radio has become such a POS over the years it probably isn't worth doing in my case, but it's guys like you that add info all the time that keeps me coming to this forum.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Alright then everyone, here is the start of the write-up then. I may have been incorrect that the volume knob controls the volume of the iPod when spliced into the connector. It looks like the volume has only 2 positions, mute and not mute. I guess that by adding the auxiliary input at that location we are bypassing the control of the volume knob. Either way, you can still control the volume from the iPod or music device, and the quality will be superior to a cassette adapter or FM transmitter/modulator, and I suspect that the eBay modified radios suffer from the same problem. I won't know for sure until I completely finish the modification.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Radio disassembly

RADIO DISASSEMBLY
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your Jeep, radio, house or dog. Also, to the best of my knowledge this modification works only with 1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with the Infinity Sound System, it may work with other radios too, but I have only disassembled my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Infinity Radio.

Sorry for the large pictures. But on the other hand, enjoy the quality!

Start by removing the radio from the car. Remove the volume knob, simply by pulling it off. It slides onto a post. Then follow the instructions below.

With the radio removed from your Jeep you can begin the disassembly process. Remove the 4 screws that hold the front black plastic faceplate on.

Before removing the faceplate you need to remove the equalizer buttons. They remove the same way that the volume knob did, by pulling up on them. Then, gently pry up (with a small screwdriver) the black plastic tabs which snap the front faceplate onto the radio, while at the same time applying a gentle pull on the faceplate, so as the tabs clear their holders, the faceplate will slowly come off. Be gentle with the tabs. They were brittle on my radio and I regretfully broke 2.

Now would be a good time to spray the equalizer potentiometers with an electronic cleaner of some sort, because if yours are as dirty as mine were, they only worked in one location and the lights on them didn't work at all.

So far, this is what your radio should look like.

If so, continue, if not, go back and make sure everything is removed correctly before proceeding.

Remove the 2 screws holding the top metal cover on the radio.

Remove the cover by any means necessary. Be careful, there are tabs which snap in near the front of the radio that would prevent you from prying from the front. Unfortunately I cannot elaborate on the removal, I just sorta pried mine off from the back since I was unsure how it was attached.

Remove the left side heatsink, which covers the circuit board we are trying to access. The blue screws are shorter screws, they are the same length as the ones removed from the top cover. The red screws are longer and need to be reinstalled in the correct location.

As of now this is what your radio should look like.

The 2 red wires and connector pictured below are the wires you will be splicing into for the auxiliary input.

Another disclaimer: somehow I ended up with 2 extra screws, the shorter variety. However I disassembled further into the radio than this write up will go, and I believe I covered all the steps of the necessary disassembly, without missing any screws. But, you've been warned!
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Using and powering your radio, outside of your Jeep

USING AND POWERING YOUR RADIO, OUTSIDE OF YOUR JEEP
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your Jeep, radio, house or dog. Also, to the best of my knowledge this modification works only with 1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with the Infinity Sound System, it may work with other radios too, but I have only disassembled my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Infinity Radio.

Sorry for the large pictures. But on the other hand, enjoy the quality!

While working on your radio outside of your car you may find it convenient (as I did) to test the radio before reinstalling it. The following instructions detail how to power the radio while not installed in your Jeep. You must use a 12V DC power source. No other power source will be acceptable.

On the back of your radio are 2 large connectors, one gray, one black, and one smaller white connector. The top 2 pins of the gray connector are the pins used for the +12V connection (positive 12 volt). Both pins need to be connected, or the radio will assume the car is not powered on, and therefore you can't turn it on!

The -12V connection point is on either of the tabs sticking up from the frame of the radio.

On the picture below, the negative post is circled black, and the positive pins are circled red.

Below is how your radio should look after being connected to your desktop 12V DC power source.

Unread 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Interesting, I have an assortment of zj radios, including one that had the aux added. The guy deleted a cd button purpose and repurposed it as a switch to go between the ipod and regular input. Unfortunately , in doing so, he fubared the clock set buttons and station preset ability. The ipod cable exited the rear of the radio. In later attempts I see he mounted a ipod input by drilling a hole to the left of the volume control knob. I assume when you plug the ipod in it disconnects all other inputs. I'll tinker with it tomorrow and see what he did in the first version that was fubared.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Interesting, I have an assortment of zj radios, including one that had the aux added. The guy deleted a cd button purpose and repurposed it as a switch to go between the ipod and regular input. Unfortunately , in doing so, he fubared the clock set buttons and station preset ability. The ipod cable exited the rear of the radio. In later attempts I see he mounted a ipod input by drilling a hole to the left of the volume control knob. I assume when you plug the ipod in it disconnects all other inputs. I'll tinker with it tomorrow and see what he did in the first version that was fubared.
Yeah that would be cool if you could share how he made his modification. Maybe there is a better way that I don't know about, but it sure could be useful.
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I don't think this will help you much because it installed on a earlier model jeep radio. He ran a ipod cable into the back of the radio. He only used one wire of the cable and marked it with a red stripe.
radio9-resize2.jpg

He changed out one of the push button switches on the front board I assume to add a pole but not sure.
radio4resize2.jpg

On the back side of front board he ran a jumper and attached two wires and tied in the red marker. I can't tell where the two wires were attached because they pulled loose when I removed the hot melt covering them.
radio3resize2.jpg radio6resize2.jpg

The other ends of the two wires went to the top board that rest above the main board.
radio7resize2.jpg

I think they attached to this plug which is on the other side of the top board and plugs into the main board,supplying signal to the preamps.
radio8resize2.jpg

By the way the little circular gray plugs are the leds that light the buttons on the front of the radio. They twist out and can be sourced at brightleds.com I think, if you want to change the button light or joystick light colors.
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Hmm, can you share on how well that worked? Did the volume knob control it? Was this an Infinity sound system with a separate amplifier? Did it take the place of another function, like no more CD player or something like that? Your pictures are great but my electronics knowledge isn't enough to know what he is doing, I'm curious though because I'm not convinced that the method I found is the best. I would think there should be a way to get the signal in, even before the volume control.

Also, and you may not know for sure, but since he only used one wire from the iPod cable, did you only have mono audio? I can't even imagine how that would've worked with only one cable.
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The best thing would be if you could find a mopar radio that used the external cd player (not changer) you can add an aux in via the cd player port on the back.

If you could find the traces for the tape deck right after the head pre and tap in there then fake the motor and sensors it should be possible to have the tape be an aux in.

I gotta ask why though? Aftermarket heads aren't expensive and then you can have full control at the head of an ipod. Are you trying to keep it stock looking?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Yeah I've read about the newer Jeep's (WJ's I think) that had the CD changer. And yes, I like the stock look. Plus when you start to think about the head unit, wiring harness, mounting hardware, and the adapter for the steering wheel controls (which is the main reason I want to keep this radio), it can get pretty expensive. I also like the ability to dim my dash lights during nighttime driving, and I haven't found a replacement head unit that connects to the CCD bus so it'll dim too, and I'm betting that I won't ever find one like that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.