horn chirp & other dealer settable features - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > horn chirp & other dealer settable features

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-08-2002, 03:18 PM   #1
MatrixRooster

horn chirp & other dealer settable features

Lol - Me again!! Anyone know if theres info on what exatly the dealer does to enable things like the horn chirp? There's a list in the manual of dealer settable options that you can take your Jeep in and have altered. GM cars are the same way, only as it turns out, basically what they do is add or remove fuses in a panel. I was wondering if the same is true for Jeepe.

Thanks,

Rooster

MatrixRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
bart4man

what year grand cherokee? 93-98 need the dealer's computer (DRBIII) to program them, 5 min job for them to do. If it is 99 or newer you can set them yourself in the overhead console. Let me know if you have anymore questions, give me a yell.

Last edited by bart4man; 10-10-2002 at 10:46 PM..
bart4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:42 PM   #3
MatrixRooster

Ack! It's a 98.. Tnx for the info though!
Unread 05-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
dylanemcgregor

I just bought a '97 ZJ and would like to turn off the horn chirp and change a couple of other dealer settable options. I called two local dealers today and was quoted $75 and $55 to turn off the horn chirp, they were not sure if it would cost more for the other things I wanted changed. Is there any way I can do this myself or through someone besides a dealer? The money isn't really the problem, I just hate to go to a dealer for something that should be so simple to fix. Thanks for any advice. -Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
MatrixRooster

Call another dealer, lol.. mine did it for free.... (bought it used, not that it should matter).

There's no way to DIY unless you the scantool, which I'm sure is NOT cheap Something I personally think bites
Unread 05-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
dylanemcgregor

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that I would be at the dealers mercy on this one. I work late nights and I hate waking up the neighborhood at two in the morning just to lock the doors. I called the only other dealership in my area Friday afternoon, but the service guys had already gone home. I'm going to call Tuesday to see what they say.

Did you have any other work done when the dealer did yours? The front rotors on mine seem to be warped, and it's in need of a general tuneup. I was going to try and replace the rotors myself ,but maybe I can have them do the 60,000 mile service and they will throw in the other stuff for free? -Dylan
Unread 05-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
MatrixRooster

I work 12.5 hr. weekends (have similar issue with waking neighbors) - There is something you can do.. Use the doorlock - Will still activate alarm, but horn won't chirp.

Nah, didn't have any other work done, just that at that time. Had a friend in it the other day that says back-end makes a humming sound he didn't think was normal, though it's had it since we bought it last year.. He owns a slightly different JGC w/ different features, so my thought is it has to do with the fact the internals are different or something (his lacks quadra-trac). Prolly take it up there at some point to have them verify everything's ok, just in case he's right (or I'll search around the forums, but it's hard to describe a sound sometimes..).

Last edited by MatrixRooster; 05-24-2003 at 08:06 PM..
Unread 05-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #8
dylanemcgregor

Duh. Totally forgot about the actual door locks. I had tried using the remote with the door open, that locks the doors fine, but chirps when I close them.

I have quadra-trac on my GC and have also noticed a strange sound coming from the rear, almost a whine, when under acceleration. Don't know if this is the same as yours, but if you figure out what is causing your hum let me know. Thanks again.
-Dylan
Unread 05-27-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
KyBishop

Lock without alarm.

I have a 96 ZJ with the factory alarm. Mine does not ever chirp no matter how I lock it. I did discover on mine that if I lock the jeep manually with the key (I'm talking the old fashioned way, sticking the key in the hole and turning it) that it will lock the jeep and the alarm is disabled. Any other way I lock it, the alarm is active. Could be different factory settings like you guys were talking about. KB
KyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 07:20 AM   #10
MatrixRooster

Yeah, if you want it to chirp, you have to take it to the dealer to let them set it. Takes only a few minutes, unless their busy

That is a good point, though. The only way the alarm will activate is by using the FOB (keyless entry) or the power lock button. Using the key will not activate the alarm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.