Hood flew off!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hood flew off!!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-18-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
Lowboy

Hood flew off!!!

Whats up everyone. I just picked up a 97 Limited a month ago and around 2 weeks ago my hood flew up on me going around 80mph on the highway. Yes, it was latched and I had only had the hood open one time when I bought the vehicle in the first place and one time when I steam cleaned the engine bay. Two questions.
1. Even though this Jeep is 5 years old with 60,000 miles, would there be any chance that Jeep could do a recall and find that it had a defective hood latch/locking mechanism?

I have already had a new hood put on, but the same locking mechansim is still on there. The people who did the body work said it just needed to be lubricated, but I don't feel comfortable driving the vehicle around at high speeds.

Also, I have noticed that whenever I drive it, the hood shakes ever so slightly. It's not real noticable, but if your looking at it through the windshield, you can see it. Is this normal? LOL, I doubt it but would like to hear some opinions from people who actualy know something about these vehicles.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Lowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2002, 04:26 AM   #2
whitebomber

Re: Hood flew off!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lowboy

Also, I have noticed that whenever I drive it, the hood shakes ever so slightly. It's not real noticable, but if your looking at it through the windshield, you can see it. Is this normal? LOL, I doubt it but would like to hear some opinions from people who actualy know something about these vehicles.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Open the hood and on both sides you will see an adjustment post. The are just about where the radiator ends on both sides. They screw up or down and if they're not adjusted right the hood could have too much play when closed. Mine was doing the same thing at highway speeds and all I had to do was raise the posts a bit.

Good luck
'90/'91 4dr Montero's - gone but not forgotten

Impulse eliminates planning ... that's a good thing

Last edited by whitebomber; 11-23-2002 at 06:10 AM..
whitebomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.