homemade snorkel - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > homemade snorkel

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daufuskieraised View Post
I believe there is some sort of a drip pan on the legit snorkels, but I don't think enough rain would get in to really do anything.
Ahh...so using the factory air box or the paint can...or something of that nature...would keep the water at bay. I was thinking about that earlier and concluded that by the time the rain reached the combustion chamber, it would be quickly evaporating due to the heat from the engine, and the fact that minuscule amounts of water vapor have little to no effect on gas engines. It's diesels you gotta watch out for.

[COLOR=White] White Jeep Club Member #108 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]R.I.P. Troy Edwards[/COLOR]

My Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-xj-project-arctic-wolf-1126101/"]Project [color="white"]Arctic Wolf[/color][/URL]
XJ_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

I think mass produced intakes contain some sort of seperator

another thing that I think one of the guys that posted the pics up did was put a drain bolt at the lowest point in the system and left it out any time he was on the street
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
Mxguy626
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Renegade View Post
One thing I have never understood about snorkels...somebody please explain. Suppose you are driving at highway speed in the rain...How do you keep rainwater from entering the snorkel and in turn entering the engine?
I just though about this. And couldn't you flip the intake point of the snorkel towards the back of the truck? Pointed down at say a 45* angle? Just a thought
Mxguy626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
stevethefolkie1
1997 ZJ 

If you're using PVC plumbing pipe just put a trap in-line and run a drain hose out of the (normally closed) drain hole - - thinking about it, if you got water vapor moving into the combustion chamber it'd cool the charge and allow you to advance the timing (or run more boost) - that's why back in the bad old days of carburetors vehicles ran their best when it was damp or raining out ... but to be serious I don't think it'd do any harm UNLESS you were in wet conditions at high speed where the air temperature was low enough to ice the throttle body - that could be interesting (thinking back to the bad old days of iced carburetors) -
BTW - I like the designs (both inside and outside) - back in the 1970's we'd run baja bugs with the air cleaners routed inside the car - noisy yes - not clogged with sand dust and other crap - yes.
stevethefolkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

image-2285884639.jpg

Here's mine take the cap off when off road has another section that goes up to roof rack, don't have a pic of with fender on
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
JeepZJStroker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxguy626
I just though about this. And couldn't you flip the intake point of the snorkel towards the back of the truck? Pointed down at say a 45* angle? Just a thought
when you are driving forward, the air flows through it with more ease than if it were to point backwards! Same idea of if you put a radiator on the back of the car, it wouldn't cool off as quickly!
JeepZJStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
dennishusell
1993 ZJ 

Here is mine, it's for the V8 but the idea is the same, just different plumbing to the throttle body.
It's made of some inline filter i found at the local parts store wich came with a flexible hose, and then some exhaust pipe welded together. Have a snorkel head ordered that I'm waiting for.

dennishusell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.