homebrew quadradrive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > homebrew quadradrive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-04-2004, 03:53 AM   #1
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

homebrew quadradrive

Just thinking of hypothetical concepts here...

So the much vaunted quadradrive is really just the normal old quadra-trac II with vari-lok limited slip diffs front and rear so what's to stop me from just installing vari-lok diffs in my ZJ to make my own quadradrive system?

Is it possible to buy vari-lok diffs? are they just the regular dana 35/30 diffs with with a vari-lok centre?

it seems that apart from the jeep advertising hyperbole there is not that much info (actually not any i could find) on the varil-lok diffs. Anyone know who makes them or where I can find more info? what sort of locking/antislip system do they use?

djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 05:17 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

DB,

if you want to get two limited slips and install them front and rear, go for it.

I put the trutrac limited slip in the dana 30 and got a super 35 with detroit.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

I assumed that variloks are just regular limited slips with a different name and a sh*tload of hype.

i want something that will be good for a daily driver, the trutracs seem to be the best ones i have seen so far, am i right?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

IMHO,

Yes.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

Actually the vari lok uses a kind of hydraulic pump to engage its limited slip. When the system, senses a speed difference between the tires it engages a gerotor pump which engages the clutch packs and takes it from an open diff to a limited slip. To understand that you have to know what a gerotor pump is, this is basically what the inside of a gerotor pump looks like, its what's used in a lot of oil pumps and some fuel pumps.:

As the inside part rotates it sucks in oil through the inlet, which in this example, would be on the left side, then as each tooth hits the top of its rotation the inlet ends and the outlet begins. It works almost exactly the same as a rotary (Wankel) engine.
Here is how it works in the jeep, As I understand it. The inside part in the drawing there is connected to one axle, and the outside part is connected to the other, so when one wheel turns faster, the oil flows one way, and when the other turns faster the oil flows the other way, and whichever way it flows it engages the clutch packs to transfer the power to the wheel that's turning slower. Quadra drive also uses the same system in the transfer case to take if from rear wheel drive to 4WD as needed (so its like 4 full time but without the mileage hit) One advantage this system has is that it engages harder the faster the no traction wheel spins as there is more oil pressure when it spins faster, another advantage is that the clutch packs are not preloaded (they don't touch when the system is not engaged) so they last a LOT longer..... So yea, its basically a limited slip, but it will last longer and work much better than a normal clutch type limited slip, in fact according to jeep it can transfer nearly 100% of power to just one wheel....

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------

Last edited by Dacaur; 06-05-2004 at 10:55 PM..
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.