hole in tranfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > hole in tranfer case?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
1Dirtymudder
1994 ZJ 

hole in tranfer case?

I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some insight on this. It appears that i've got a hole in the bottom of my transfer case. How tough is this to fix? Can I just get the front part of the case and replace that. How much do you think a shop would charge? I have a '94 zj (all time 4x4)

http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0304.jpg

http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0303.jpg

Looks like it's just the front plate.

1Dirtymudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

i would just get a new case. you can get them from 100-300 from junkyards and you can move to a 242 while youre at it. look at the sticky thread about the tcase swaps that is in the ZJ section.
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
1Dirtymudder
1994 ZJ 

Do you think a little JB weld or similar product could buy me a few months. As it is, it only leaks a bit. I've been keeping tabs on the fluid level and haven't had to add any in a while. I'm installing a 4.5" lift on it next week and some 33s. I'd like to have time to road test that for a bit before i tackle the transfer case. What is better about that other one? The 242.
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
1Dirtymudder
1994 ZJ 

I just found this thread. It says the hole is supposed to be there. ???? Is this right because although it's in the same spot, my hole looks pretty irregular. Like it wasn't intended to be there. But if that's true, it changes the whole JB weld game huh?

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=218687
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
3xX
1994 ZJ 

That's correct, the hole is supposed to be there. It's a weep hole. If it's leaking you likely have a bad input or output shaft seal. Best to replace both at the same time.
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
1Dirtymudder
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for your help, I'll look into it

Tags
leak , transfer case , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.