Hoffman Zj build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hoffman Zj build up

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Hoffman Zj build up

So after having my jeep for almost 3 years I've decided to make my ZJ my own. I'm starting with the interior. My headliner was sagging all around so about 2 months ago I just tore it all down. Now I'm working on taking the whole head liner out.
But to start off I own a 1996 ZJ limited with 4.0 L6.
232xxx miles on her
The PO was in the air force and kept her in fair shape. But knew nothing about mechanics. That's where I come in I'm a machinery technician 3rd class with the Coast Guard I've been in 4.5 years. I use my jeep as a DD to and from work approximately 25 miles both ways.
I've been lucky getting 17-19 mpg the whole way.
The issues I've had have been my idler pulley bearings burning out on me. The alternator gone bad. VIC went on the frits so I just unplugged it. Headliner of course and a bad thermostat. I have a few more things planned for the near future. Bed lining the lower 1/4 replace the water pump. Green accent lights under the dash. New air intake set up. And of course a few other things

USCGTheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Here are just a couple of Picts of my jeep. I've gotten everything removed so when I get off duty I can take out the headliner and put it in my shed to start sanding and prepping for paint. I'm just saying F it to just replace the fabric. And voting with flat black with JEEP tagged over the cargo area in green. I'll post more Picts as everything progresses thanks guys.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGTheHoff View Post
Here are just a couple of Picts of my jeep. I've gotten everything removed so when I get off duty I can take out the headliner and put it in my shed to start sanding and prepping for paint. I'm just saying F it to just replace the fabric. And voting with flat black with JEEP tagged over the cargo area in green. I'll post more Picts as everything progresses thanks guys.
So you're just painting the ceiling right? Leaving the fabric out? I think that would be sweet to have jeep written up above like that. Nice looking jeep btw. You get the lift bug yet?
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Ya I've been looking at all sorts of wants to lift and everything I kind of out of my budget tight now for the time being. I did go to the junk yard today and found some usable parts like an AC compressor and roof rack cross member off of a 95 Laredo. So I'll probably pick them up after I get paid
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Sweet I love good finds at the junk yard lol. And yep the worst part is lifting a jeep is much more expensive than just the lift itself. Especially a high mileage one (worn out bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc) or one in a rusty area of the country. Or, like in my case, both
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

I know what you mean I'm stationed on the middle banks of NC. So plenty of salt in the air to start rusting. Not to mention most roads here are 55-70. I drive most of the way to work at 55 with cruise control on. Some of the toads here are a bit on the curvy side so I'm sure things would start to wear out. One thing I know I need to do is change my diff fluid both for and aft.
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

So earlier today picked up a new air intake by spectre. I'll be installing it tomorrow when I'm at work as well as do some other things.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Got it all mocked up for the install had to cut away a bit of the stock intake hose to make the brand but all is well.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

During the test drive I felt a massive difference in throttle response. The acceleration from 0-60 was greatly improved. So I just kept going. Reached 100 with no problem and still had some more power to go.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Next on the list of things to do is remove the headliner

First start by removing the overhead console. Unscrew the 1 screw in the front to drop the front down. Unhook the connection to the display. Pulling forward on the console should let it drop off.
2. Undo the star bit screws on the ohsh!t handles there will be 2 on the front passenger and 3 on the rear. 1 is under a textured cap for the clothing hook.
3. Remove the $ screws for the flip down sun visors 2 on the outboard side and 1 on the clip.
4 remove the trim pieces along the A, B,D and rear cross member. The rear piece is held on by 2 Phillips screws.
5. Now comes the removal of the headliner itself. Carefully pull down in sections to release the adhesive on the top of the headliner. Moving out the cargo hatch there by removing the headliner. I'll be posting pictures when I do it.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Got the whole headliner panel off over the weekend and have started to spray it with flex seal. I'm using flex seal so that when I reinstall the panel the paint won't flake off. I'll post more pictures once I'm done with the 2nd black coat
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Hey, while you have that headliner down..

Look above the drivers door for provision to screw in another grab handle. I believe the exports with RHD had the pass side handles.. so i'm assuming all the bodies were done this way. Might be able to cut away the backer board a bit and install one.

I'v been planning to check on this when i drop my headliner soon.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

Ran outside to check on the screw holes and there are predrilled holes for the installation of a driver overhead Handle here is a Pict to verrify
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Excellent... thanks for taking the time. Now i know i'll be able to install one soon.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
USCGTheHoff
1996 ZJ 

So my progress for today has been removing the old water pump and installing the new one pressure testing the system. And guess what ? The gasket they put with the pump sucks so I'm going to have to take it back off tomorrow and place a bead of sealer down. But I did take off some pulleys and give them a nice coat of paint. Not to mention the fan and fan clutch.

And now time for the Picts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.