Hit my Jeep a little - now have wheel wobble on deceleration? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hit my Jeep a little - now have wheel wobble on deceleration?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Hit my Jeep a little - now have wheel wobble on deceleration?

I was driving through the snow today, no problems at all - then hit a patch of black ice under the snow, on a gentle bend.
Jeep did a delicate 720, then hit the curb and into the central reservation. No body damage at all, just ego damage!
Problem is, now when I coast from 60 or so, I get a violent wheel wobble through the steering. It's fine if I give it a bit of gas again, but it's a pretty heavy wobble.
Any ideas what I've bent? Wheels and tyres seem fine, shifts fine, everything but the wobble is fine!
Your best guesses please?

Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
lilsinister

when my front axle snapped on the spring mount the replaced the axle and i drove down the road and did the same as yours what mine was is the track bar i believe its called or maybe sway bar. sorry for not being exact on what its called. it was not tightened all the way. so i tightened it up and it went away never shook again. maybe tighten it up and check all your parts in the front end. come to find out if that broke free it would have killed me. both tires point in a v and dead meat. very scary that a shop would do this and not check when done installing a axle
lilsinister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Something is bent or broken. Start with the wheels that hit and move onto steering.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Aye, the wheels look fine as far as I can see, and to be honest I probably wouldn't know whether anythin underneath was meant to be bent, or bent when I hit it! Is the fact that it only happens on deceleration any clue as to where I should be looking?
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Bent wheel is the most likely. Casual inspection is not enough to say things are still straight, and most bent rims don't show impact damage
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

I suppose I could have lost balancing weights as well, making it worse... I'll bring it along to the tyre shop and have them try and balance the front wheels as a first, cheapest step!
Unread 01-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Wobble/shaking from a bent or out of balance wheel... would that stop on acceleration?

Seems more like something loose.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, ots's and odd one. I've only done enough miles to get it home, andthat was taking it pretty slowly, but it seemed to be only on deceleration - and I don't feel like I hit the curb hard enough to break anything - it was a low curb, sloped, and the jeep just went over it onto the grass! The RHS front wheel took it side-on, I think...
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

move the tire you bumped to the rear on the other side of your ride and see if the problem moved with it .

I am just guessing that it was a front tire because you said you felt it in the steering .

Just reread it again Camero , take the RHS front tire and put it where the LSR tire is and see what you got.

As in swap them with each other .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, that's an idea - saves the cost of getting them balanced first if it's something else that's dead!
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

you could just put the spare on too in the iffie spot.
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Haha, my spare is bald as anything!
I drove it home a couple of miles tonight, not going over 40, and no steering wheel wobble. Do you think it could be due to a big lump of (now melted) snow/ice/mud picked up during my little offroad trip? Will hit 60 tomorrow on the drive to work and see what happens when I take my foot off the gas - REALLY hoping that something Jeepy isn't bent or broken, I can get wheels and tyres no problem but other parts are super-expensive here!
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I had dried mud on the inside of a tire do that one time .

I got it all off and no more problem.
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Go in to a good tire/alignment shop. They should check your steering and suspension components when they give you an alignment. Also, if you're lifted, make sure the shop knows what the hell a lift is. If you point at the vehicle and say "lift. death wobble. needs proper alignment," and they look at you like you just grew a third eye, find another shop haha
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #15
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

All standard here! There is still a definite wobble, but it does feel like a wheel took a knock and needs balanced - I'll get the wheels swapped front-back at lunchtime at the tire place round the corner, and see if that makes a difference... they are always wild busy, so need an appointment for an alignment!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.