Hit a deer, put it back to together, now its overheating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hit a deer, put it back to together, now its overheating?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
SteveMan88
1996 ZJ 

Hit a deer, put it back to together, now its overheating?

Hey y'all, I'm new here. I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee with 245,000 miles on a 4.0L. I am not a great mechanic so all the help I can get is greatly appreciated.

My question is: I hit a deer a few months back. I took it all apart and ended up replacing the Water pump, fan clutch, fan shroud header panel, hood, grill, radiator and thermostat. I test drove it the other day and its running rough so I am thinking the timing chain might have slipped on the impact (I was doin about 50) but the real puzzling part is that it's still overheating even with a new water pump, thermostat, and radiator?

Could this be linked to the timing chain slipping?

Plus when it overheats the first place I see steam is at the valve cover on the drivers side towards the middle.

SteveMan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Kinda sounds like a head gasket, but I will let one of the more experienced guys chime in, because I am terrible at e diagnostics. How is your coolant level?
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Slim57
1994 ZJ 

Are you sure none of your lines are crimped? Any, I meany any leaks?
Slim57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

when you replaced and filled the system up did you bleed air out? could be as simple as air stopping the coolant flow and causing it not to circulate i.e. overheat. I would look into that first.
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Slim57
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyboy View Post
when you replaced and filled the system up did you bleed air out? could be as simple as air stopping the coolant flow and causing it not to circulate i.e. overheat. I would look into that first.
Agreed. I failed to mention this in my previous post. If you have not "burped" the system, there is probably an air pocket somewhere in there stopping coolant from circulating.
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

yep
pop radiator cap
let it run untill it reaches operating temp and t stat opens
you will probably see and empty radiator when this happens
top off the radiator and repeat until the radiator stays topped off at operating temp
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

I thought you put the Deer back together and it had s high temp.

Rough running could be from disconnecting the battery to do the work. Mine ran rough for a couple of days after I did the pump I took it on the highway and it is smooth now. Does it feel like a miss at speeds or just rough at idle. Chances are if the chain slipped it would be back fire and not running. Very rare does it just run rough.
I would also check for cracked vacuum lines
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Slim57
1994 ZJ 

Also a good idea to park the jeep on a slight incline when you burp the cooling system (you want the front of the jeep pointing up the incline. This will help the air escape.
Unread 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

An even easier way to get the air out of the system is to spend 5 bucks and install a flush and fill kit on the highest point of the cooling system (a heater hose). Remove the flush cap, and fill the radiator until the coolant just starts to come out of the fitting. Cap it, fill the radiator the rest of the way, and you're done.
Unread 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
SteveMan88
1996 ZJ 

Thanks y'all! Gonna try it tonight hopefully I don't have to do the timing chain because that just sounds like more fun than I wanna have
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
SteveMan88
1996 ZJ 

hey y'all the jeep is back on the road and working great! Thanks for all the advice! I took it out this evening after I burped the system. Drove it through town and down the busiest area with lots of stoplights then out on the highway for about 10 miles stopped and got gas and checked the radiator again drove the 10 miles home and no problems! had it up to 80+ mph (keeping up with traffic and all lol Thanks again y'all!
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

easy no cost fix is the best fix
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
Slim57
1994 ZJ 

Glad it worked!

Tags
4.0l , hit a deer , new here , overheating , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.